Author Topic: Mmmmm, HotU...  (Read 552 times)

maxbeedo

• Lum
Mmmmm, HotU...
« on: March 26, 2005, 02:22:08 PM »
Pretty much all I've done this weekend is play HotU for the first time.  Figured it would probably be safest using my Lvl 19 Monk to start the game, and I was right.  Drow? Heh, they've done less than 50 damage to me total up to this point in the game (just completed both islands in ch. 2).  Adamantine Golem? No problem.  Mithral Golems? Well, somewhat of a problem, but handled eventually ("I don't need no stinkin' password").  He's now a Lvl 20 Monk/3 Dwarven Defender, kicking major ass, as are Nathyrra and Deekin.  Getting all my equipment back was pretty fun, "what the hell am I gonna do with 6 Dragon Armors?", although I'm soooo not liking the cap on how much stores will give you for items.  Being a Monk, I don't have any weapons to upgrade, but my mercs do, so I'm somewhat running low on cash.  Some questions though.

I assume I'm gonna lose my mercs at the end of this chapter too?  Guess I should remove their good equipment before then.  

Will immunity to Mind Affecting Spells protect me from Illithids?

At this rate, I should be done with the game by tomorrow night :).  After that I can start bringing the weaker characters through, now that I know what I'm doing.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Mmmmm, HotU...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 04:29:50 PM »
Good going!

The games much larger than you're figuering ;-) You have LOTS of gameplay and plenty of surprises ahead of you :-)

I wouldn't worry about the gear on your henchmen.

The only thing that will protect you from the Ithillids is a helmet. But for the life of me, I can't remember if it's any old helmet or a special one worn by thralls.  :evil:

Monks have a much better time of HoTU, especially Wisdom monks, than the average fighter. The only bad thing, from my perspective, is the Smith who can uber-leet any weapon EXCEPT monk gloves. My advice is to save after Chap. 1, build a stupid-powerful pair of gloves in the toolset, grab them, and resume playing. It's just not fair  :cry:

maxbeedo

• Lum
Mmmmm, HotU...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:23:30 PM »
The game was actually much smaller than I was figuring (the ending comes kinda quickly).  The only delays were the damn puzzles ("Why won't you eat my gems?!  They're the ONLY ones here!).  Finished as a Lvl 20 Monk/8 Dwarven Defender.

Didn't really need uber gloves, doing bludgeoning damage bypasses all DR in the game anyway.  The last few battles were pathetic, as even on Hard difficulty the 80 warriors that pop in couldn't get past the temporary HP from Deekin's bard song.  Being immune to pretty much everything certainly helps (poison, disease, slow, entangle, paralysis, death magic, fear, 10/+5 DR plus 3/-, 15/- fire/cold/lightning, 10/- positive/negative/divine/sonic, AC of 42 (without buffs) and all 3 saves above +22).  Still wearing his trusty old Robes of the Dark Moon from the OC, although I was certainly tempted with the Master Robes of the Old Order.  I always forgot to use my defensive stance (not that it mattered), so the levels in Dwarven Defender were kinda pointless, although I couldn't have put levels in anything else besides Fighter without the XP penalty. In the end, my Dwarf still couldn't pull himself to NOT fall in love with Nathyrra, so I'm sure they'll live happily ever after, having 2.3 deformed kids.

Final Stats: (base) 18/14/21/10/14/6
Wearing: Robes of the Dark Moon, Cloak of Fortification +3, Crown of Thorns, Ring of Power, Ring of the Rogue +4, Amulet of Natural Armor +7, Uthgardt Ceremonial Belt, Gloves of the Hin Fist +10
Useful items: Scabbard of Blessing, Crystal of Undeath (specifically Shadow Shield), some Priestly Belt of Warding (for Magic Circle vs. Evil), Blue Lesser Iuon Stone (Wis +2)
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Mmmmm, HotU...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 09:54:50 PM »
Way to go! It took me FOREVER after the end of Chap. 1 to get to the end. You must have been stupid powerful :-)

maxbeedo

• Lum
Mmmmm, HotU...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:25:08 PM »
Pretty powerful, yes, but to me it seemed like the AI was being REALLY stupid.  At least 1/5th of the enemies would face me like they were going to attack, but never did (usually when lots of them were around).  Only once or twice in the whole game did anything try to cast death magic, although that wouldn't have affected me, but it could've killed my mercs.  Spellcasters didn't try to cast high level spells, just simple crap like Daze or Sleep.  High-level physically-dominant enemies gave me the most trouble, with high ACs and high ABs to pound away at me.  Fighting Mephistopheles was, of course, a challenge, since his DR is so awesome, but owning like 50 potions of Heal made it just a simple waiting game (that and figuring out his one weakness, which Deekin so thankfully exploited).

Monks are just that powerful ;).