Author Topic: NWN: Trouble with dragons  (Read 2503 times)

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
NWN: Trouble with dragons
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 04:15:37 PM »
IMO spells whatever ones are in the game to use, therefore are not "cheap "as mentioned, that is like saying using the best weapon, armor, or henchmen in the game is "cheap". Also Linu does not have Harm as a spell, since it is a lvl 6 Cleric and 7 Druid spell.

If it is in the game, then using whatever is not cheap, the developers would not include it if something was not meant to be used. Also D@D rules would not have spells that are also considered "cheap", to each their own.

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 04:38:20 PM »
Guess I'm just too old school.  Played DnD in college (AD&D rules).  At that time, heal/harm was the top of the cleric's healing skills, and clerics only had up to 7th level spells. Some DM's treated the use of cause spells (the reverse of the healing arts) as an evil act, and good clerics weren't allowed to use them.   It was a touch spell that in the good old days meant you actually had to hit the thing.  

With the new rules came 8th & 9th level spells for clerics, but heal was left at 6th.  Add to it the rules about how touch attacks don't factor in the armor etc of the creature and you have a overpowered skill.  In NWN, it has all the appearance of being a ranged touch attack.  That is, I've seen the cleric henchman stand back and cast harm on the creature.  This just further empowers the spell.

This is nothing against NWN.  They were implementing the DnD rule set.  But it is, IMO, an overpowered spell for it's level.  I agree use whatever the game provides, the belt is another example.  30K for a overpowered item is something you either take advantage of or not.  I personally chose not to use harm, nor do I buy the belt.

I apologize if I came across a bit strong on the "cheap trick" crack.  My son uses it a lot and says how dragons are soooo easy.  Yeah, well dropping the any creature to 1-4 hps just by touching  with like a 75% chance to hit doesn't take much.  With the lack of a real AI for the dragon, and lack of flight, dragons are too easy in NWN.  He's learned that in a pen&paper DnD game, dragons are to be feared, and not triffle with.

Dave in the basement

• Keeper of the Work Wives
  • Ko
  • I need a drink!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »
Any luck yet, Brian?  I don't know if this would help or not, but you could load up on all sorts of buffing potions and scrolls (if you can use them).  Assuming the dragon couldn't dispell everything, of course.   :)
D3/Battlenet tag: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daveismyhero-1508/hero/47259747
Steam name: Daveismyhero71

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 04:15:49 PM »
Quote from the D&D 3.5 rulebook:

Harm
Necromancy
Level: Clr 6, Destruction 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half, see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Harm charges a subject with negative energy that deals 10 points of damage per cast level (to a maximum of 150 at 15th level).  If this creature successfully saves, harm deals half this amount, but it cannot reduce the target's hit points to less than 1.  If used on an undead creature, Harm acts like Heal.

They fixed it apparently, plus made spell resistance apply if it didn't before, but too late for when NWN came out.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night