Author Topic: NWN: Trouble with dragons  (Read 2456 times)

addicted2macs

• Ral
    • http://homepage.mac.com/addicted2macs
NWN: Trouble with dragons
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:08:19 AM »
I'm just getting at the big red dragon in Act III. I've read the ritual book and I think I know what I need to kill him, or weaken him so that I can kill him....

Where do I get my dead dragon for the orb, though? Do I have to kill the Blue that's in the ceremony chamber? For being a stupid SOB, I can't seem to land more than a couple hits before he slaughters me, my henchman, and my summon....

Am I supposed to kill this dragon, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank ya! Thank ya! Thank ya!
'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
----------------------------------------------------
Pats: Axxon, Avenger (1.09); Horace, Hammerdin; Athlon, Avenger; Perceval, Zealot ; Magnus, Frenzy Barb; GustovGale, Wind Druid; Achilles, IK WhirlWind Barb; EldrennVorhaven, Skelliemancer
Mats: Arianna, GA/Strafazon (1.09); Elektra, Lightning Fury Amazon

spider8bug

• Thul
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:21:54 AM »
Yep. I think if you want to complete that quest you have to kill the blue dragon, feed his dead esence into the orb and give that to Mr. Big Red. This will weaken him and make him much easier to tackle.
You can also try to kill the red one right away, but might be very hard to do, depending yon your character.

/spider
size=9]
:: It is said that Master Yagyu once remarked,
"I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself." ::
Hagakure by Tsunetomo Yamamoto
[/size]

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 10:40:35 AM »
[halforc barb]kill blue dragon with big hurty sword.  hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him hit him ... big blue dragon die[/halforc barb]

Yep...killed blue first then red....

Nightfish

• Hel
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 11:45:07 AM »
Even with that dead dragon sphere my character had an ultra hard time killing that red bastard (dunno why, guess my char sucked at low level). Aside from having good AC, resistances, immunity to fear and stuff you can also lower the difficulty for that fight. I think that's what finally got me past these buggers.
Guardians:44 / 49

<HC>  <RWM>

Quote from: Thrugg
The effect of map seeds on drop quality is 100% superstition, unless you are deliberately fixing your random number seed as well.

The way a lot of Diablo players talk, you'd think if they saw a German Shepherd followed by a Labrador followed by a Chihuahua, they'd immediately go online and post "OMG TEH DOGZ ARE SHRINKING!!!!1!"

addicted2macs

• Ral
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Hmmm, hadn't considered lowering the difficulty. But, I'm almost too stubborn and proud to do that....

And if I'm having problems with the Blue, how the hell am I going to take out the Red!? :P

My resists are pretty good. My weapons are decent.... I think I need to rethink my armor, since I've kept damn near every nice piece in a couple bags of holding :)

I'll hit it again. Now that I know it has to be done this way, I won't mind dedicating a bunch of time to it. I just thought I may have missed some trick along the way.

Thanks, folks!
Pats: Axxon, Avenger (1.09); Horace, Hammerdin; Athlon, Avenger; Perceval, Zealot ; Magnus, Frenzy Barb; GustovGale, Wind Druid; Achilles, IK WhirlWind Barb; EldrennVorhaven, Skelliemancer

Dave in the basement

• Keeper of the Work Wives
  • Ko
  • I need a drink!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »
Psst, Brian, head over here:

http://www.gamersoasis.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7448&highlight=

Sure, it has nothing to do with helping you with the dragons, but hey.  :P

Dave
D3/Battlenet tag: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daveismyhero-1508/hero/47259747
Steam name: Daveismyhero71

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:45:19 PM »
Most dragons come with xx/+3 damage reduction, so you need a +3 weapon to bypass that first.  Klauth has an AC of 41, so you would have a tough/near impossible time hitting him even with a very high level character.  He has somewhere around 700-740 HP, but the dead dragon sphere will take off 500 of that, then you just have to survive for 10 rounds or so while you swing away, hoping to take off the rest of that before he kills you.  For a while all he does is swing at you, use his breath attack a few times (which can do up to 100 damage if you fail your save, have no resistance, and no improved evasion), and try to dispel buffs off of you.  If you have access to spells or scrolls that hurt his spell resistance, maybe then you'd be able to cast some offensive spells, but not likely (SR of 28 or 32 or something like that).  Bring a buddy along if you can, summon another if you're having trouble (having a fire elemental help you would obviously be pretty nice).  Unless your AC is godly, it's not really gonna matter to him, since his lowest attack is around +20, but damage reduction from stoneskin or whatever REALLY helps.

What level and class are you by the way?
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

addicted2macs

• Ral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 05:11:58 AM »
Hmmm, double-posted that one....

addicted2macs

• Ral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 05:12:59 AM »
I'm a level 14 Ranger.... I've been using the 'Recommended' button at almost every level up, and now I've got scads of points in a bunch of skills I rarely use.

Above all, I like the inherent ranger abilities...rapid shot with a bow, dual weapon weilding, summon animal.

I finally took the blue dragon out and filled by dragon sphere with deadly poison! It wasn't that difficult once I took the proper preparations: bless, endurance, bull's strength, barkskin, clarity, and a better armor.

I'll take on Klauth very soon and see if I can get whipped senseless :)

Dave in the basement

• Keeper of the Work Wives
  • Ko
  • I need a drink!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 06:01:40 AM »
I would offer my level 6 sorceress' services, but I don't think she would add much to the mix.  (Assuming MP would work too, of course! :lol:  )  Good luck!

Dave  :P
D3/Battlenet tag: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daveismyhero-1508/hero/47259747
Steam name: Daveismyhero71

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 06:55:50 AM »
Quote from: "addicted2macs"
I'm a level 14 Ranger.... I've been using the 'Recommended' button at almost every level up, and now I've got scads of points in a bunch of skills I rarely use.

Above all, I like the inherent ranger abilities...rapid shot with a bow, dual weapon weilding, summon animal.

I finally took the blue dragon out and filled by dragon sphere with deadly poison! It wasn't that difficult once I took the proper preparations: bless, endurance, bull's strength, barkskin, clarity, and a better armor.

I'll take on Klauth very soon and see if I can get whipped senseless :)

Yeah, you'll find that letting the game level you up lands you with a nearly useless character ;-)

BTW: Rapid shot and dual wielding are available to all character classes. Rangers get the Dual Wield Feat for free, though.

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 02:25:13 PM »
A easy way to kill the Dragons which I did, is have a Cleric character and cast "Harm" spell a few times, they rarely have any luck in resisting it. Have your henchmen distract it while you cast. :)
 :shock:

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
As people have said one path is to kill the blue, and feed him to the red.  I decided that I didn't want to kill the blue... just to stupid to deserve to die.  So tackled the red unaided by the trick.  He's killable.  My wizard had a hard time, my monk didn't have any problem at all.

A number of people on various forums talk about using harm, which works but seems like a cheap way to kill a dragon.  If you take the cleric henchman,  she'll do the 'harm'ing for you,  dropping the dragon to 1-4 hitpoints if it works.  Then just tap it and its dead.

I seem to remember that there's some belt that reduces slashing damage, and the dragon's claws are considerd slashing damage.  Then all you need is to be buffed against the fire.  Good luck.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 01:58:03 PM »
some belt = Greater Swordsman's Belt, one of the more overpowered items in the game.  30K at a blacksmith near you.

It is possible though not easy to find Amulets of Fire Resistance which shave off 20 fire damage, or rather easier to buy Robes of FR which stop 15.  Neither is quite enough, but either will help a great deal.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 03:34:54 PM »
Yep that's the belt.  A great tweak for the price.  As you say, overpowered but if you want to go toe to toe with the dragon, this makes it doable.