Author Topic: Terrible Dilemma  (Read 1273 times)

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:16:58 PM »
So I have KOTOR 2 for PC sitting here in front of me.
Dare I load it?
I was just getting into NWN :P
;)

So ah... when is it OK to start posting spoilery type info?
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:26:10 PM »
Quote from: "Thrugg"
So ah... when is it OK to start posting spoilery type info?

As long as there are a gazillion blaring and obvious **warnings** posted before any spoilers, you can post them. ;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:57:57 PM »
'K.

*Very minor spoiler*

It is 4 discs, and a very thin manual.
There is a cute little card showing the keyboard shortcuts.  Of which there are many.  Practically every key except 'Y' does something.  I wonder what they have against 'Y'.

Naturally I will be starting with a Light Side combat type ("Jedi Weapon Master" in this one, rather than Guardian).  Wish me luck ;)

[edit] Ah, that is a prestige class, I get it now.

Spoiler in a purely personal sense rather than from me to you.  Crash to desktop after approximately 30 minutes play.  Never had a single one of those with KOTOR 1.  Ah well.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 10:39:27 AM »
I saw it in a shop today, and had to beat me silly not to buy it. I've already ordered WoW, it should be here anytime soon.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:47:15 AM »
OK, so I am used to the fact that since I usually play games that are more than a year old, that interest in them has died down so I will be playing on my own.

But come on, this game came out yesterday!  Surely someone else is playing it! :lol:

I refuse to believe you all went out and bought Xboxes and played through this already just to tick me off.  This is the first game I've bought on release day since D2!  "Finally", I thought, "finally I get to play a game during the initial rush!"  Nup.  Nada.  Bubkis.

Well, you can all have your Kalimdors and Balmoras.  I'm having a good time.  All by myself.  Sniff.

Meanwhile, the crash to desktop seems to have been an isolated incident.  In general the graphics (and hence fps) feel ever so slightly heavier than KOTOR 1 on the same machine.  But the plus side is they seem slightly more fully rendered too.  Very pleased with that.

They do seem to have changed a couple o finterface things just for the sake of it (eg the equipment screen and the journal) but not so much that it is confusing.  They added a weapon switch slot and hotkey which is very nice (even if I haven't got far enough to really need it yet).

Tragically I won't have much time to play in the next few days, what with my fiancee turning 30 tomorrow and then Valentine's Day right on the heels of that (actually bought this game while out buying gifts for her ;) which I'm sure has some kind of cosmic karma penalty)

[edit]  Oops, hi Godji, I actually began my rant before reading your post ;)
Buy it!  WoW, who cares about WoW?  Meh.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »
And furthermore:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-02-11&res=l

(no spoilers, just essential vulgarity)

MicTar

• CyberChaun
  • Ber
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 12:17:11 PM »
OK, so I am used to the fact that since I usually play games that are more than a year old, that interest in them has died down so I will be playing on my own.

We usually wait a year or so due to a new game costs $50 where as a year old one costs $20!

~~[/size]
Winner of the The Man Who Wore Out All The Straight Jackets While Escaping From His Own Sanity award! Presented by PapaStache
Owner of The Banshee's Wail come in and have a !!!! MAY YOUR LIFE BE GOLDEN AND GREEN!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin
"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."~Friar Tuck
"Guiness is like drinking velvet...it's a somewhat-acquired taste, but once acquired, hard to shake."~ATCJazz
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."~Stephen Wright
"He was a wise man who invented beer.~Plato
"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"~Brian O'Rourke
"I cut my lip on a gummy fish!"~Dave in the Basement
"I still pick up els! Maybe one day I will be able to cube a zon!!!"~Drozz
"I'm strange, odd, and eccentric, all rolled into one."~nanenjakaSnowy
"...every time you MicType God kills a kitten. Why do you think Mic does it so often?"~Minor_Diety

Icebird

• Io
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »
Games I have bought recently and neglected:

Morrowind
KOTOR 1 (I had horrible sound issues which made the game all but unplayable - gave up after 5 minutes)
Prince of Persia: Warriror Within

At the rate I'mg oing, even if I bought KOTOR today, I wouldn't get round to playing it till 2008...

Chris

Path of Exile
DusksElementalWander - Cybil's Paw Incinerator | DuskFirebug - Flame Totem Marauder | DusksRanger - Three Dragons Iceshot Puncture Ranger

Diablo 2 1.09
 The Endless: One level 99 of each class

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 02:51:56 PM »
LOL I'm going downstairs to play KOTOR 2 after I leave this post, my freind. So feel free to talk shop with me whenever you want LOL.

Just remember: It is impossible to see everything in two or 3 playings. Litterally. The story can be very confusing at first, but it fleshes out in subsequent replayings ;-)

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »
That is excellent news.  I fear I had read a bit too much in the way of spoilers before I played K1 the first time (having not expected ever to get around to playing it) and that diminished the experience a bit.  Although I was still surprised by the big spoiler for which I am very grateful.

I have not got far with K2 yet - first planet I guess you'd say, in a spoiler-less way - and just met... someone... very familiar :)

I can already see they made a big effort to make skills matter more.  My 10 Int Guardian is struggling to make do.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 05:51:32 PM »
Actually I just realised KOTOR 2 isn't even a Bioware game :lol:
We need a new forum!

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
Terrible Dilemma
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 05:59:55 PM »
And furthermore:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-02-11&res=l

(no spoilers, just essential vulgarity)

Oh my god....my eyes are watering....

"Worst beating....."

Butch
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther