Author Topic: The Pale Master  (Read 709 times)

Beorn

• Sol
The Pale Master
« on: January 23, 2005, 06:08:29 AM »
Alright, I've finally got NWN fired up again and I've already started a new character. He's an elven wizard, soon to be Pale Master. I'd like to know your thoughts on that prestige class. It seems to be a fairly defensive prestige class, especially for a caster. With +2 to AC every four levels, +3 extra HP per level up for every level past level 5, and a d6 for it's hit dice he seems like he could stand up to a fair bit for a weak little wizard :D Also, once he becomes epic, he gains another 5hp every five levels (I'm asuming this is on top of the +3 per level already gained, am I wrong?)

Anyways...just talk :D

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
The Pale Master
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 10:18:01 AM »
Well, my only experience is the munchkin build I built from the epic builds provided by the Bioware site.   He's pretty kickass.

Starts as fighter, one level, then wizard for three levels, then pale master for a while, then a few more fighter and a few more wizard.  He is pretty much unstoppable, but then again he is a munchkin build.  I just wanted to build one to see what it's like, but I think with your plan of wizard to pale master, not using the fighter, you should still have a nice char there.
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
The Pale Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 05:18:59 AM »
I haven't actually played one at all, but I can't really see much benefit to the pale master. Seems a trade off of major spell effectiveness for a few not-so-impressive abilities. *shrugs*

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Infinidex

• Nef
    • http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
The Pale Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:19:32 AM »
Despite my love of necromancy, this has to be the second weakest class from bioware if you're going to actually play it as a caster (not much can top the harper scout).

Animate Dead is the same as the spell, and just isn't that good.
Create Greater Undead is terrible, especially that damn spectre you get at level 10.
The Death Poke is very weak DC for the level you get it.
The other pokes don't do much either.
You give up almost all of your spellcasting ability. A level 10 Mage/30 Pale Master casts spells as a level 10 mage, which isn't exactly going to cut it.

The HD, AC, and Immune to Crits are all good... for fighters. If you want to grab a sword and start beeating stuff, this is mage for you. Otherwise, if you're interested in spells, not a good choice.
url=http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/][/url]

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
The Pale Master
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 06:11:23 AM »
Quote from: "Infinidex"
The HD, AC, and Immune to Crits are all good... for fighters. If you want to grab a sword and start beeating stuff, this is mage for you. Otherwise, if you're interested in spells, not a good choice.

Also worth mentioning that the Immunity to Crits is completely worthless to the average player who plays just the boxed games on normal difficulty... where the PC can't be critically hit. ;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.