Author Topic: HELP!!! :D  (Read 4063 times)

Ambar

• Shael
HELP!!! :D
« on: March 22, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »
I read about Legolas's X-bow wielding Halfling.  It sounded fun, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Looking for what feats and skills I should take. (no expansions at this time).

Stats (as I remember)
str: 12
int: 14
dex: 18
wis: 10
con: 12
cha: 10

I think that's right.

I took the default rogue package, initially.  Added one to "hide" and one to "move silent".

The only problem with this game is I don't know the feat/skill combos that really make a character work.

Thanks for your time.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 04:31:32 PM »
Halfling rogues... one of my favorites :)

Lessee, intelligence of 14... 10 skill points per level.

"Must have" skills - hide, move silent, disable traps, open locks, tumble, use magic device, search.

Other useful skills (pick 3 to round out the above 7):
persuade (only in the OC and only if you like that sort of thing),
appraise (only in the OC and only if you are hung up on gold),
lore,
set traps (I love this one, myself),
pick pocket (again, pretty useless in the OC),
heal (ditto),
parry (only if you're willing to invest heavy in it - partial investment isn't worth diddly).

FEATS:

Well, you definitely want rapid reload if you're going crossbows. Also point blank shot. I'm fairly sure that rapid shot doesn't work with xbows, but I haven't tested it personally. Weapon focus is a good idea - an extra +1 to hit is always nice. Dodge is really useful since you won't be using a shield. Improved critical later on is a must have. Otherwise, defensive feats are always good - resist energy, toughness, great fortitude, strong soul, etc.

You might reconsider the crossbow though. The damage is only marginally better than a shortbow and the rate of fire will *never* be the same, regardless of how good you get with the crossbow. All the game mechanics seem to indicate you will, but in practice you will not. If you ever get the chance to test it out, put two otherwise identical characters side by side, one with a bow and one with a crossbow. The bow user will seriously outstrip the other in terms of number of attacks.

And since your real damage is going to be coming from sneak attacks, a base of 1d6 vs 1d8 isn't going to be much of an issue.

Hell, for that matter, forget bows or crossbows and instead use darts! Halflings get a natural +1 to hit with thrown weapons, and you'll still get uber sneak attack damage. Not to mention... they're really cool  8)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 04:45:22 PM »
Rapid Shot doesn't work with X-bows, which is why I always stick with regular bows (and then find awesome X-bows, like the +5 +Haste kind).  Improved Critical is important, although not as such as compared to normal bows.  You can't completely rely on sneak attacks, since nearly 1/3 of the enemies are immune to it, so you might want something that specifically deals with undead or constructs, or both.  You probably won't want to stay rogue-only, since there is a cap on how high you need disable trap/open lock where you can disable/unlock EVERYTHING, so you'll find yourself with a lot of extra skill points (oh darn), but instead of putting 1/2 of those in non-class skills you could just get a few levels in Fighter or something else that would help you out more than more skills.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!

Can't use Tumble, it says I need an expansion.  I now have 7 points in the "must have" skills.  Unfortunately have 7 in pick pockets.  I have like 3 points in lore, but it's not doing me much good.

The X-bow is slow, but I like it so far  :D

Btw, how do you get the henceman to quit beating on a chest you are trying to open?  It gets really annoying!

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 08:31:06 PM »
The quickest way is to hit V, E, E, which tells them to follow you (I think), and even if they're right there they'll stop hitting the chest.  Pisses me off too, especially when I only need to use a Thieves Tools +1 to open the chest (or pump my dex in any way).

The maximum value of items you can identify with lore jumps up dramatically after 8 pts, where the value difference jumps from 100 to 500, then 500 to 1500 (<500 to <1000, then <1000 to <2500).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 09:27:54 PM »
Umm... actually the easiest way is just to talk to the henchman, click on "I want to change your tactics" and then "Don't help me if I fail to open a locked door or chest" - from then on until you tell them otherwise, they won't even look twice at a lock. ;)

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 11:17:12 PM »
Yeah, but then you have to change it for those times that you actually want them to bash ;).

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:32:50 AM »
He's playing a halfling rogue. When in blazes would he want him to? And besides, if you *really* feel the urge to have the henchman deal with a *particular* door/chest, just use the radial menu, issue command, "unlock" - they'll bash away but only on that one occasion. :)

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 05:15:57 AM »
Quote from: "Luchaire"
He's playing a halfling rogue. When in blazes would he want him to? And besides, if you *really* feel the urge to have the henchman deal with a *particular* door/chest, just use the radial menu, issue command, "unlock" - they'll bash away but only on that one occasion. :)

That's the answer I was looking for.  I found another way, also.  If you don't left click the door/chest, they won't bash.  Just right-click on in.  Either the pick lock icon is active or it is'nt.

I did take skill focus twice - hide and move silent.  *Hopes that wasn't a big mistake* :D

Infinidex

• Nef
    • http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 08:23:58 AM »
If you're going to invest that heavily in hide/MS, a level of shadowdancer to fade into the shadows helps. However, in almost all other respects, a plain rogue is better than an SD.

If you have the expansions, the arcane archer is a nice mix with a rogue. Very deadly from long range, although you'd need to use a shortbow since you're a halfling.
url=http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/][/url]

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 08:28:16 AM »
Quote from: "Infinidex"
If you're going to invest that heavily in hide/MS, a level of shadowdancer to fade into the shadows helps. However, in almost all other respects, a plain rogue is better than an SD.

If you have the expansions, the arcane archer is a nice mix with a rogue. Very deadly from long range, although you'd need to use a shortbow since you're a halfling.

Sorry, playing the basic game patched to the latest.  No expansions or other "paks" at this point.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 08:45:23 AM »
Quote from: "Luchaire"

There ARE chests that have higher DCs than you can possibly have at the point you find the chest, some that are way higher.  Some chests in chapter 1 have DCs in the mid 30s, and at least 2 or 3 in chapter 2 in the upper 30s, which without having extra equipment on devoted to those skills (gloves of the rogue, ring of the rogue) would be extremely hard to do at those points.

And if you don't feel like wasting the time to unlock the chests (when there are lots of them), later on, the big mercs can smash right through most chests in 1 attack (hitting it twice instantly), even with the chest having DR of 15/-.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 10:23:51 AM »
Quote from: "Ambar"

I did take skill focus twice - hide and move silent. *Hopes that wasn't a big mistake*

I wouldn't call it a mistake exactly... but you spent two feats to get +3 to each skill... you could have taken "Stealthy" feat and got +2 to both for the price of just one feat. ;)

Quote from: "Infinidex"

Halflings can't be arcane archers.

Quote from: "maxbeebo"

There ARE chests that have higher DCs than you can possibly have at the point you find the chest, some that are way higher. Some chests in chapter 1 have DCs in the mid 30s, and at least 2 or 3 in chapter 2 in the upper 30s, which without having extra equipment on devoted to those skills (gloves of the rogue, ring of the rogue) would be extremely hard to do at those points.

Huh. Never came across a lock I couldn't open in the OC. Let's consider my typical level 8 halfling rogue:

11 skill points in open locks
20 dexterity base (18 at start +2 for levels 4 and 8 )
+2 in dexterity boosting items (usually more, but this is conservative)
+4 from Cat's Grace potion (+2 to +5, but we'll consider a lucky roll of 4)
+1 to open locks from Ring of the Rogue +1

That gives a total of +20 to open locks, making short work of anything DC 40 or below. And that doesn't even account for Thieves' Tools, which can go as high as +10. :)

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 10:35:28 AM »
Now I can take "stealthy" and be +5  :D  j/k

This whole skill/feat thing is interesting to say the least.  I understand how they work, I just don't seem to take the time to read what each one does.  I see one and think "that looks cool" and off I go.  I have a save game before taking Skill focus - move silent, but I doubt I'll go back to it.  Just live and learn as they say and try to take my time a little more next time around.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 10:38:31 AM »
Quote from: "Ambar"
Now I can take "stealthy" and be +5  :D  j/k
Not really a bad idea ;)

This whole skill/feat thing is interesting to say the least.  I understand how they work, I just don't seem to take the time to read what each one does.  I see one and think "that looks cool" and off I go.  I have a save game before taking Skill focus - move silent, but I doubt I'll go back to it.  Just live and learn as they say and try to take my time a little more next time around.

Hehe. That's the way to learn it - just play... and ask questions here.

Also... *looks around furtively, leans in to whisper conspiratorially* Check out my new sticky thread up above. ;)