Author Topic: Is my Archer borked?  (Read 1349 times)

Misty~Dawn

• Elite Unique
Is my Archer borked?
« on: March 22, 2004, 07:02:03 AM »
My Arcane Archer has 30 dex with items on (20 or 21 base) but she's got a 2 listed on her char screen as a modifier.

She's not cursed or anything. The only thing I can think of is I equipped some Boots of the Sun Soul (monk only) and when I came back later to play they'd been knocked off saying I couldn't use them. I'd assumed because I have "use magic device" skill was the reason they were equipable. But ever since they got knocked off of me, my dex bonus has been screwy......

I played through some more, hoping maybe it'd go away, even sold the boots (am wearing some boots I found near the drow camp), rested, cast dispel magic, restoration.......I've traveled to a new chapter as well and it's still there.

So I'm wondering, am I really rolling at a +2 dex modifier, or is the char screen just borked and I'm getting my true dex modifier? how would I check this?

She's hitting things just fine, not a problem. Disabling traps fine. My AC though is 30, should it be higher with 30 dex? I guess I should see what my base AC without items is........

I really love this character, I hope she's not screwed up......

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 07:16:39 AM »
Well, I still have to play NWN, but if the interface is like the one in KOTOR (after all, these are two Bioware games) it is probably because you are using a Medium/Heavy Armor which has a penaly to the Max Dexterity modifier you can have (here +2).

Try removing your armor and check if you're not overloaded if such a thing exists in NWN

Misty~Dawn

• Elite Unique
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 07:17:57 AM »
Hm. i'll check that too....

I'm wearing a chain mail of haste (medium armor)....I hate to give that baby up......

edit.......

:cuss:  :cuss:    :cuss:  :cuss:  :bash:  :bash:  :muhaha:

Yup, it's the armor......dang it. Without the armor I get 10 dex modifier.......so..........

Go with the 10 OR Haste with 2????

So far I'm doing fine, but I'm wondering how much more I'd do.......haven't found any boots of speed and I really love being hasted.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:20:04 AM »
Your Dex modifier may only show 2 with the chainmail on, but that applies only to AC bonus. You still get the full +10 Dex bonus to attacks with a bow, etc.

So basically, I'd stick with the chainmail of haste at least until you can find boots of speed or something.

On a related note: You're a level 22 archer and you only have a 30 Dex? How did you survive that long? :P My level 11 arcane archer has a 32 Dex (with buffs), and I still crave more.

I'm curious how you like the rogue path to AA? I haven't tried that one myself, but the sneak attacks combined with the AA abilities seem promising. On the other hand, the fighter path I took gave me more feats than otherwise I would have had. The next arcane archer I build I think I might go rogue/wizard first. Hrm... was survivability a problem at early levels of arcane archer, before the serious powers started kicking in? Of course, if I build one, it'll be in a persistent world where hardcore difficulty is used, so archers *have* to have some melee capabilities too or they get munched fast... I'll have to sit down and see if there's enough feats available the rogue way to make it feasible.

*heads off to think*

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Misty~Dawn

• Elite Unique
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 09:05:22 AM »
Well, in the HoTU I'm having no real difficulty.

Of course I also have Deekin as a henchman which gives me bardsong on top of my sneak attacking arrows  :twisted:

Dex hasn't been an issue for me, or i'm just not noticing it. Then again, maybe it's because compared to my rogue/assassin, this character is cleaning house. She may not be the "perfect" character, I might have messed up a feat or two (though I like using my scimater as well, I should have maybe gone with weapon finesse), but I like her.

I've put dex in each time I was able for level ups. I've only taken one epic dex so far, I need to take another next ime. I chose Epic weapon focus longbow and epic prowess for my epic feats, beisdes dex.  I had a 16 dex at start so I could get 14 consitution and 12 str. have 10 chasisma, 12 int, 10 wisdom.

She has mobility, dodge, weapon focus longbow, weapon focus scimitar, increased critical longbow, rapid shot, point blank shot. There may be something else, I should double check.  I rarely get hit and I almost always hit my target. Maybe that's thanks to dodge/mobility?

I rarely swap to my scimitar (which I made keen  :twisted: ), using my bow primariily. Valen, the fighter/weapon master is my other henchman.

My next character will probably be a two-bladed sword weapon master. Though I've got lots of other things I want to try as well........

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 09:19:30 AM »
Quote from: "Misty~Dawn"
Well, in the HoTU I'm having no real difficulty.

So you didn't actually play this character up from level 1? Ahh... then I understand the progression - no problems with mid-level (10-12) survivability, hehe. :P

Of course I also have Deekin as a henchman which gives me bardsong on top of my sneak attacking arrows  :twisted:

Yeah that would be useful. I tend to forget that there are even henchman to use... but a kobold bard is just way too cool - maybe I should play one someday :D

I've put dex in each time I was able for level ups. I've only taken one epic dex so far, I need to take another next ime. I chose Epic weapon focus longbow and epic prowess for my epic feats, beisdes dex.  I had a 16 dex at start so I could get 14 consitution and 12 str. have 10 chasisma, 12 int, 10 wisdom.

I usually start elves with at least 18 dex, so there's the difference, I guess. The 14 con is nice, but the cost (4 points) to go from 12-14 just isn't worth it for 1 extra hit point per level, in my opinion. I'd rather have the 14 in strength (for an extra point of damage and extra carrying capacity) and take the other 2 points and put them in intelligence - more skill points = way good :) Still, looks like you made a pretty workable selection of attributes.

She has mobility, dodge, weapon focus longbow, weapon focus scimitar, increased critical longbow, rapid shot, point blank shot. There may be something else, I should double check.

For future reference... if you're playing a rogue and don't plan to go shadowmaster, don't bother with mobility. If you have any decent skill in tumbling (as any self respecting rogue will), then you're pretty well immune to attacks of opportunity anyway, so mobility is a wasted feat. It's only useful for shadowdancer prereq or for heavily armored fighter types who can't tumble.

And now I remember why I went fighter... weapon specialization: longbow. The extra 2 damage per shot makes all the difference in the world at lower levels. :D

I rarely swap to my scimitar (which I made keen  :twisted: ), using my bow primariily.

Yeah, in the OC playing on normal difficulty, you can get away with that :( Unfortunately, I can't do that in online hardcore worlds, since using a bow in melee subjects you to tons of attacks of opportunity... it really sucks being an archer when you constantly have to switch to a melee weapon. Especially given improved AI on monsters that will swarm a character (even calling/running for help! :o ) or ignore front-rank fighters to attack archers and mages in the back. Grr...

Misty~Dawn

• Elite Unique
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 09:23:46 AM »
doesn't point blank shot negate the attacks of opportunity anyway?

I do have a decent tumble, I think it's 13 or so.

considering it's my first arcane archer, I think I did pretty well.....and ya, I started straight at lvl 15 with the hoTU OC. Though I could improve on some things (whoops on the mobility eh). If I remade on, I'd probably stick with the Rogue or bard for an AA myself, but I  also favor rogue classes.

My next character I'll start at 1 with a downloaded module or maybe try your world.....

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 09:37:18 AM »
Quote from: "Misty~Dawn"
doesn't point blank shot negate the attacks of opportunity anyway?

No. :(

All it does is negate the -4 to hit penalty for firing in melee.

Infinidex

• Nef
    • http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 10:38:44 AM »
There is a feat that removes melee AoO on bowusers, but its an epic level feat that wasnt added to NWN.

Otherwise, you can generally get a level of Shadowdancer and stop and pop if you want to abuse that one level wonder
url=http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/][/url]

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 11:09:01 AM »
For a build that rocked when I tried it, I once made a halfling rogue I called a sniper. She used a heavy crossbow, and took rapid shot and rapid reload. Her mission was to purely snipe, hiding and shooting. She was QUITE effective, as I recall. In fact, I only stopped playing her in the Great Virii Crash of January, when I had to reformat  :lol:

Hmmmm, what if I start her again...... :o

Misty~Dawn

• Elite Unique
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »
Ah, but bows are so sexay........

Even in d2 I couldn't stomach a crossbow.....(shudders at thought of buriza)

Although.......

I wouldn't miind making a Cadderly cleric (RA Salvatorie character, uses a crossbow) iwth zen archery...... somehow I can't see a cleric with a bow. Maybe a druid.....

I love bows.  :D

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 11:23:38 AM »
LOL I agree, bows are a much more elegant weapon. More style.

X-bows are sort of a mean weapon, if that makes any sense.

Killed stuff pretty good though  :lol:

Infinidex

• Nef
    • http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 11:49:19 AM »
I like the extra attacks with bows, especially since Xbows dont work with the arcane archer.

Too bad there's nothing like that for a Xbow, would be fun with a heavy Xbow. Dangerous weapons those.
url=http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/][/url]

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
Is my Archer borked?
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 11:56:01 AM »
Yeah, there's on PrC for x-bow users. But on the bright side, with rapid reload, you get as many attacks as bow users do, and with a pure rogue, 20+d6 sneak attacks are easy to get (eventually), so it can be a damage-doer  :D