Author Topic: Beginning Stats for Scoundrel/Guardian  (Read 8370 times)

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Beginning Stats for Scoundrel/Guardian
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 09:48:12 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I've ever really even tried the sith base without bastila  :shock:  I can only imagine how much that would suck if you weren't a soldier yourself.

With Mission, yeah, at lower levels she's not anywhere near as useful as at higher levels. She'll get alot more sneaks in if you let her use a blaster instead of a sword. Solo mode doesn't work in combat after the initial hit, and honestly, I never put more than 1 point into it because I never use it. But anyways, later in the game, she'll be a joy, with her higher BAB and 9 or 10 d6 sneaks, with a nice high-level blaster. So just give her the blaster and let her do her thing. The sneaks will come ;-)

Something that works for me on the Taris swoop race - do the entire first race in 2nd gear. You'll finish in 36 someodd seconds, and the mark to beat will only be something in the low 36ish. Then, balls out on the second race, and you'll never have a problem beating it.

If you're having a problem with combat, why not try a soldier to start? Yeah, a well-built Scout/Sentinel is the deadliest combo in the game, but an armored Soldier/Guardian is an unstoppable tank.

With an armored soldier, leave Dex at 10 or 11. Bring Int. to 8, put Con at 14, and Str. at 16. Everything else into Wis and Cha (they both add modifiers to your Force Point totals). Pump Str at every turn. Dual-weild. You'll cut thru baddies like a hot knife thru butter, all the way from start to finish ;-)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 10:37:02 AM »
Quote from: "Ambar"
Time to restart.  I've hit a dead end at the Sith Base.  Mostly dead and no medipacks to heal or credits to buy more.
Damn Droid is expensive!  Perhaps I should have taken Bastila with me (the WENCH).  I really don't like her attitude.

Bastila + Cure. Never use another medpack again. ;)

As for the droid... for a few dark side points, you can get it for free...

The scoundrel's sneak attacks are worthless as far as I can tell.  You can only go in stealth mode when solo and I never seem to get a sneak attack in.

Solo is worthless. But sneak attacks are quite useful - IF you use it properly. (1) With force jump as a guardian; (2) attacking from behind while your other party members have the baddies distracted; and most especially - (3) when the bad guy is stunned from your timely use of critical strike or concussion grenades, etc.

I did hit the 30 second mark in the swoop race on my second attempt.  Not too bad, methinks.

Probably going to try a Scout.

Scouts are great fun. Best class skills, best feats... But for a guardian, I'd still stick with a scoundrel. Or a soldier for a pure tank character.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 10:24:08 PM »
No real choice here.  No saves left pre-military base.

Not sure what I want to do here.  Started a scout, but made him a male.  His backside doesn't do much for me like the females do  :D

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »
I decided to start my own scoundrel/guardian last night, as playing the dark side character just isn't all that fun really.

Started her with these stats:

STR 10
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 12

Will put 4 points in Dex and 1 into Wis at level ups. Going dual sabers with crit strike, and will use force powers for master speed, destroy droid, and stunning effects to maximize sneak attacks. Also going to pump demolitions and stealth with this one - I want to try the "Sneak in and lay mines" tactic...

Of course, I'm also still toying with making her a scoundrel/sentinel instead, for the sentinel's immunities and a few extra force points. I'll have to work out whether I'd get enough feats that way.

Zaalbar will be my main meat shield and enemy distracter, plus he'll have the two skills I don't - computer use and repair. Jolee will probably come along for his lovely array of force powers.

Should be fun. ;)

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 01:47:41 PM »
It should indeed ;-)

Last night I started on a Soldier/Consular, a combo I've never even tried. I put Str at 10, Int at 8, and put Wis and Cha at 14 each. Going to go robed, taking Dueling, Flurry, and Implants.

I have no idea how viable this is, but it should be a good combo of tank/caster. We'll see. Oughtta be a helluva ride, anyway.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 08:21:40 PM »
Heh, I got bored at work tonight so I wrote up complete level-by-level builds for a few different chars I'll try sometime, including a scoundrel/consular (LS), soldier/guardian (DS), and armored scout/guardian (LS). Soldier/consular was next on my to-do list, but I ran out of time. ;)

I'll probably start one or more of these 3 tonight... :D

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
Besides Scout/Sentinel, I've done Scoundrel/Guardian (DS), and most recently Scoundrel/Consular (got my ass KICKED the first two times I tried one, but for some reason, this last one was STUPID powerful  :shock: )

Getting ready to go into the Taris underworld with the Soldier that will go Consular. So far, just using a rifle to get a bit of +tohit, with my 10 Str.

Of course, I have no idea how he'll do yet, not until I start taking the Consular levels  :?

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 05:50:12 PM »
Ok, on one hand, persuade is an important skill to have.  On the other hand, it is a cross-class skill for a scout.  So, do I pump it every other level, or do I blow it off?

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 07:01:28 PM »
Quote from: "Ambar"
Ok, on one hand, persuade is an important skill to have.  On the other hand, it is a cross-class skill for a scout.  So, do I pump it every other level, or do I blow it off?

Neither. Do what I do, and save 4 points at startup, and 1 each subsequent level. When you take your Jedi class, it's a class skill for all 3. At that point, dump your saved points in at 1:1 ;-)

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks Lego.  What should I be pumping then?  Awareness seems important, as does computer use, repair etc...

I get so confused, probably because I don't have a good plan for what I want to do.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 07:43:06 PM »
Going off memory here, but my scout/sentinel ended up with 18 points each in computer use and repair (for a total mod of +20 with intel bonus). Awareness was brought to 8, demolitions to 8 (with +2, that was enough to recover any minor mine or disable any average/deadly one). Treat injury also to 8, the rest went in persuade after taking jedi levels. Oh, and 1 point in security - that's enough to open those pesky "low security doors" in Taris and save the tedium of either bashing them or switching to Carth/Mission. ;)

Of course, she had a 14 intel, so she had lots of skill points (84 total, iirc). With a 10-12 intel, you'd have 23 less points to play with...

Repair absolutely positively MUST reach at least 17, for reasons I won't divulge, but trust me (and Lego) on this one. ;)

Edit, I have a scout/guardian build here all written up on paper if you're interested. Level by level skills, feats, and powers... Also a scoundrel/consular and soldier/guardian (currently being played and totally pwning everything - 10-40 damage per hit times 5 attacks/round at level 14 :shock: )

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 09:52:19 PM »
Bloody good idea on character builds. In fact, I think we'll make it a sticky ;-)

Oh, and yes, a Scout/anything MUST put 17 points into repair. I unequivically promise it will pay off ;-)

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 06:05:20 AM »
Actually, you don't need to have 17 natural points. Use and abuse items with +Computer use, and don't forget Master Valor which will boost a stat giving another +1 to the skill.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 06:12:04 AM »
Quote from: "Mad Godji"
Actually, you don't need to have 17 natural points. Use and abuse items with +Computer use, and don't forget Master Valor which will boost a stat giving another +1 to the skill.

Hmm... according to various posts and reports on the Bioware boards, only your base skill plus your intelligence modifier is taken into account for this particular use of the skill - force powers and equipment bonuses are not.

Have not tested this myself, of course, since my scouts max repair anyway.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 06:38:22 AM »
Well, I hadn't gone far enough with my Scout/Consular to check the last repair (which requires 17), but I had reached all the ones before WITH buffs (the one before requires 13 IIRC).