Author Topic: Beginning Stats for Scoundrel/Guardian  (Read 8359 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Beginning Stats for Scoundrel/Guardian
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2004, 02:00:34 PM »
Zero reason to save upgrade items.

Why? They're re-useable. If you find something better later and think "Geez, I wish I'd put that Vibration Cell in THAT", well.. you can. Just take it back out of whatever it's in and put it in the new item. Unlike D2 sockets, upgrades are completely reversible. :)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »
Ah, awesome.  Like I said, n00b questions ;)
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »
Quote from: "Thrugg"
Ah, awesome.  Like I said, n00b questions ;)

That's okay. LegoAss has been playing this game for about a year longer than I have and he *still* asks me n00b questions. Like: "Which is better for my jedi - a lightsaber or a Vulkar Stun Baton?" or "Why won't Master Speed work with my armored scout build?"

:P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2004, 12:53:36 AM »
Or, uh, how do I beat Bendak with my level 5 soldier  :?
I can't seem to even scratch him with my dual vibroswords, and eventually I just run out of medpacs...
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

SirWarkof

• Ko
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2004, 01:04:35 AM »
Grenades.

Lots and lots of them.

I usually start off with a Poison, followed by a Cygo (Freezing), and then run around and chuck whatever I can at him. The most important thing is to throw 'nades which keep him paralyzed.

Works like a charm.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2004, 08:16:56 AM »
Quote from: "SirWarkof"
Grenades.

Lots and lots of them.

I usually start off with a Poison, followed by a Cygo (Freezing), and then run around and chuck whatever I can at him. The most important thing is to throw 'nades which keep him paralyzed.

Works like a charm.

What he said.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2004, 09:08:52 AM »
Hmm, I tried that last night too without much luck :?   Well, I did some damage, but he killed me with his own grenades too fast.

The reason I'm asking is not so much because I hoped there might be some great secret to Bendak, but more because I'm not sure I'm doing combat the best possible way in general.  I've been more or less pseudo-turn-basing it, like BG.  Target bad guy with attack, hit space, let it run until end-of-round auto-pause, repeat.  

Should I be able to do it that way?  Please don't tell me I have to run around in real time, steering, moving, targeting, choosing special attacks, zig-zagging and healing all with the mouse and hotkeys and my extremely poor hand-eye co-ordination?  :oops:  I'm like the world's worst Quake player  :lol:

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2004, 11:32:01 AM »
Personnally I prefer to keep control of my char during fights, ie use the move keys so that you can efficiently dodge the grenades he sends  at you.

I managed to defeat Bendak with a lvl 5 SCOUT, so this sure is doable, but yup, it requires a few try.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »
You definately want to keep control of your character during fights. The computer will sometimes miss attacks because it wont' move properly on it's own.

I can usually (not always) beat Bendak with and L2 of and type. Make sure you have A: various kinds of stimpacks and other steroidy shots and B: LOTS of medpacks.

When the game pauses, just before the fight, take all of your stimpacks - adrenal, battle, strength, etc...

Charge him and start whacking. Remember that once a round, every round, you can use a medpack for free. Every two seconds or so (or right after he hits you - whichever rhythm works better), pause the game, click on the items menu, use a medpack, click out of the menu, and then resume the game. This way, you can use a medpack every round without sacrificing that rounds attack to do it. (You shouldn't be using Flurry or any other combat tactic at this point, so you'll only have 1 action/round).

Repeat until dead (either one of you  :P )

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
I read about that medpac trick (also can do it with energy shields I believe) but figured it was a bug.  Prefer not to exploit bugs.  Do we think that is an intentional game mechanic?

However I did work out what I was doing wrong, or rather wasn't doing right, and thanks everyone for the tips.  It honestly never occurred to me to just unpause and move about while in a combat situation.

In the end I beat him by running immediately sideways, pausing, targeting a grenade, turning back 180 degrees (ie not towards him, but past him, unpausing, then running as soon as the grenade was thrown, stop at other side of room, pause again, repeat.

Never took a single point of damage, although I find people's estimates of number of grenades required somewhat optimistic :)  I think I tossed at least 10.  And essentilly no hand-eye co-ordination required  :lol:

Anyway, after that, Sith base and Davik's estate were easy, had to take two tries at the turret subgame, but I am now a Jedi and about to take on greater Dantooine.

Is it wrong that I can't wait to hurry up and finish with this goody two-shoes and start a Dark side char?

Quote from: "Lego"
(You shouldn't be using Flurry or any other combat tactic at this point, so you'll only have 1 action/round).

Shouldn't as in "it's not a good idea" or as in "shouldn't be able to"?
When fighting single opponents, I have been using Critical Strike, because I have it, and I figured it was worth doing if I could.  What's the downside?
When does it become a good idea then?

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2004, 03:45:59 PM »
Critical Strike CAn become the most powerful attack in the game... Under some conditions.

To sum up: Flurry = 1 extra attack per round.
Critical Strike = chance of doing quadruple damage.

I'll spare you the maths (actually I'm too lazy to post them once more, already did a few times :P), but for Critical Strike to be efficient, you'll want to max your attacks per round. How do you do? Dual-wield (two attacks) and Master Speed (+2 attacks per round, and some AC).

With 4 attacks, each one having a chance to do quadruple damage, you'll tear through everything.

Another detail : you WANT to use the massive Critical crystal, and you probably want to go with two sabers instead of the saberstaff, because they have a better critical range. As long as you don't have MASTER critical strike, go with the keen crystal too (the one which doubles critical range).

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2004, 06:21:52 PM »
It's as in "You really shouldn't", not as in "You can't"

For a character level that low, using a first tier combat power is going to get you creamed against someone like Bendak or Marl. Why, well, for a scoundrel using the Crit. Strike at that level, your /to-hit is going to blow, and you'll have a minus 5 to your ac every time you try to use it. Now, remember, pound for pound the most important and valuable number in the game is ac - worth 3 times it's weight in damage numbers. So, you won't be hitting him often, but he'll be hitting you every time. Flurry adds horrible penalties as well for a low level character when it's at it's first tier power as well. And for power attack, just do like we do and pretend it's not there ;-)

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2004, 06:28:49 PM »
Yeah, after I read your post I went back and scrolled down the feat description  :lol:   I hadn't noticed the -5 AC.  Not nice of them to hide it down there out of sight :P  No wonder Bendak was walloping the snot out of me when I went melee with him!  Whew.  Well, I managed to bumble my way through Taris eventually anyway ;)  Lesson learnt.

Thanks for at least partially den00bing me.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2004, 06:36:46 PM »
And your adventure has just barely begun. Congrats on the fun you're about to have with this gem, my freind!

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2004, 06:44:45 PM »
May the Force be with you Thrugg, for long is the path to knowledge.