Author Topic: NWN Halfling Rogue  (Read 3223 times)

Ambar

• Shael
NWN Halfling Rogue
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:59:56 PM »
I'm going with the following (don't ask me to change stats,  ain't gonna happen)

Str 12
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha  8

Going to keep him (pure - no multi-class) except maybe some Shawdow Dancer.

Please recommend skills (44 + 11 per level) and feats.  It is a given that UMD, Tumble, Hide, Move, Open Lock, Disarm Traps and Set Traps set to max

Thanks
Ambar

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »
Well, the most controversial skill is Persuade. I personally always take it, most don't however. Don't put much into UMD - due to a bug, only a few points are needed (unless that got fixed in 1.64).

I personally also find Listen and Spot EXTREMELY useful, especially when you get to higher levels. Search is also critical. Can't disarm traps if you don't see 'em till you step on 'em ;-)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »
Quote from: "Legolas"
Well, the most controversial skill is Persuade. I personally always take it, most don't however. Don't put much into UMD - due to a bug, only a few points are needed (unless that got fixed in 1.64).

Ignore the elfnub. He knowest not of what he speaketh. MAX out UMD. For scrolls, it doesn't matter. For other stuff (like the kickbooty monk robes in chapter 2) it does...

I personally also find Listen and Spot EXTREMELY useful, especially when you get to higher levels. Search is also critical. Can't disarm traps if you don't see 'em till you step on 'em ;-)

I don't think I've ever put a point in listen or spot. :P

My standard 44-point rogue setup:

4 points each into: (in general order of importance)

Tumble
UMD
Hide
Move silently
Search
Persuade
Disarm Trap
Open Locks
Appraise
Set Traps (highly under-rated, tons of fun)
Craft Armor (personal taste here - you can skip this if you don't care how crappy you look)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 04:38:01 PM »
Craft Armor - speaking of utterly useless skills....  :roll:

Edit: I have yet to find the robes my lass coulnd't use with about 4 in UMD  :P

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 04:42:54 PM »
Ah, but when you're a rogue with gobs of skill points you can waste a few for cosmetic reasons. :P

Oh, and as for feats... my halfling rogue (pure class) did well with ambidexterity, two-weapon fighting (short sword/dagger combo) and some general ones to improve crappy saves, like strong mind, strong soul, luck of heroes (can't remember offhand which she had, but rogues need lots of help in the will save department!). Really, you're going to get so few feats you need to know specifically what direction you want to go with the character...

EDIT:

Quote from: "elfnub"

Edit: I have yet to find the robes my lass coulnd't use with about 4 in UMD

Then your game is bugged. The robes of the dark moon, for instance, I could not equip until my UMD was something like 10. *shrug* The chart in the manual shows the required skill for various items, and in my game at least, it is accurate. Likewise on the several persistent worlds I've played on. Maybe you just cheat. :P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 04:46:48 PM »
When going the meelee route with a rougue, don't forget Weapon Finesse - your Dex bonus will go to appropirate weapons (for instance, short swords, kukris, daggers, rapiers). A rogue needs all of the +to hit help she can get, and it helps alot ;-) With your high intelligence, you may also want to go the whirlwind route - might help a rogue, who has only 3 attacks/round unbuffed and untwinked ;-)

Most, however, (myself included) go the sniper/archer route. A rogue archer is simply devatstatingly deadly, and is the route I would recommend.

Ambar

• Shael
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the debate  :D

Not much for arrows or bolts.  I'm fairly decent with a sling at this time :D  I'll be sure to get Weapon Finesse.  

Not sure I want to go the two weapon thing.  I've done that before, but not with a halfling.  I'll have to give that some thought.

No persuade for me on this one.  Got some points in listen and lore.  I hate to pay for idents.  Got a few points in appraise also.  I want to be able to buy what I can't find.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 05:00:52 PM »
Cool deal :-)

If you don't like ranged weapons, but don't want to dual wield, a good choice might be the rapier, which would be a two-handed weapon for a halfling ;-)

Ambar

• Shael
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 05:31:45 PM »
Quote from: "Legolas"
Cool deal :-)

If you don't like ranged weapons, but don't want to dual wield, a good choice might be the rapier, which would be a two-handed weapon for a halfling ;-)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH  How did I forget that!  Already took a feat in Weapon Focus - SS.

Already up to level 5, half way through the prison.  Made a brief stop in Beggars Nest to level to 4 and pick up some fairy dust - we all know what for.

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 09:05:04 PM »
Two Weapons, nyeh!!!! It is absolutely critical for any awesome Rogue build, unless you are using a bow. Rogues simply don't get enough attacks per round, so the more the better.

On the topic of Whirlwind, other than the fact that it requires a massive number of Feats (which compliment nicely with the Rogue class regardless), is it worth it? Whirlwind would be entirely stylish, but I've never used it before. Hm... well if you don't get Whirlwind, try and get Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave.
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

spider8bug

• Thul
NWN Halfling Rogue
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:43:30 PM »
If you gor rogue/shadowdancer I would recommend dual shorswords this should gie you 5 attacks per round all with a nice sneakattack bonus - the only thing that will be a pain in your a$$ are those critters that are immune to that (unfortunately there are a lot of it in the OC iirc)

If you come across a good weapon preferably with some nice elemental dmg keep it, as you might need it when you shortswords don't do enough dmg. This happened to me several times in the OC with my first char.

/spider
size=9]
:: It is said that Master Yagyu once remarked,
"I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself." ::
Hagakure by Tsunetomo Yamamoto
[/size]