Author Topic: Enchantment bonus and new chars  (Read 1822 times)

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Enchantment bonus and new chars
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 03:07:41 PM »
I know this is counter to most people's gaming ethics, but I fail to see the point of sitting in a room fighting the same two creatures (or any similar setup) over and over for hours on end to give your character levels.

I don't think it adds any "legitimacy" to a character, but it is a complete and utter waste of time.

I think that if you really want your character at a certain level to continue the rest of an adventure, just save the time and console it there. A character fighting a mummy over and over again isn't in any more danger than a character typing "DebugMode 1" etc... it just takes longer.

Note that myself, however, have done niether, outside of to test builds. But I certainly would just console vs fighting the same guy for a day ;-)

Vertigo_tdl

• Tir
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 03:48:36 PM »
The reason i'm asking is because i like making characters that pwn, to say the least. Nothing quite as satisfying as building the strongest, coolest character you can that will empty a room in 0.2 seconds. That is just my opionion tho, it seems lots of people that play NWN play from the role-play perspective.

Using debug mode seems like cheating to me, why not just make a character  already at top level? Because you didn't work for it.

Anyway, what is the top level for a character, and for each of the expansions? From what i've heard it's 20 for vanilla NWN. I've read it can go upto 40 but have only seen you guys talking upto 30's.

Vireyar

• Amn
    • http://www.chainsmokingdryad.com
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 04:24:36 PM »
Level 20 is max for vanilla NWN and SoU; HotU brings the level cap up to 40, but the OC will maybe get you to the mid-20's if you start with a level 15 character (a Ranger of mine started HotU at 19 and ended up at 26; my AA started at 15 and ended at something like 24. The highest level character I have is my AA, and she's level 30 after having played through most of Shadows of Heliopolis (I expect she'll be at least 33 if I ever finish that).
ormerly known as Bloodrose, Decrier of the BDK, Lover of Amazons, &c.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 06:37:23 PM »
Same here.... I've never even gotten close to 40. I had a L28 Barby after HoTU, and I got thru the OC with a pure druid who ended up at L18, those are the two highest I've ever really had.

Repusz

• Eld
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004, 05:07:52 AM »
Well , I spent merely 2-3 mins not a day at that skeleton factory and it didn't really matter anyway since my wizard ended up with so much xp that he would have hit lvl 21 if it weren't limited...  :shock: The vampires in the Creator Ruins were worth 150+ XP each, even though their difficulty was described as effortless... :?: Strange.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 05:31:05 AM »
*Insert XFiles music*

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 11:06:26 AM »
Quote from: "Vertigo_tdl"
The reason i'm asking is because i like making characters that pwn, to say the least. Nothing quite as satisfying as building the strongest, coolest character you can that will empty a room in 0.2 seconds. That is just my opionion tho, it seems lots of people that play NWN play from the role-play perspective.

Well, if you want really suped up chars, then you could always create munchkins.  There are some uber builds at the HotU site.  I think they list something like 12-15 of them.  Some of them look pretty cool.  I think their intent is for them to be mostly PvP chars, but if you want to pwn the game, then you might want to build one for that reason.

I tend to go with the "role-play" way of playing where you accept certain faults of your char.  Saying that, I have started one of the munchkin builds, the Undead Lord.  And, I have to tell you that he is one of the coolest things you've ever seen in action.  I swear nothing can touch this guy, and with the pale master prestige class, eventually he will have a hand that can kill you just by touching you.  Pretty sweet, but it does take some of the challenge away from the game.

I prefer my other chars, but if I'm ever in the mood to just mow down everything in the game, I'll load up the Undead Lord and just watch him destroy the whole game. :mrgreen:
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa

Sumendar

• Amn
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 02:54:16 PM »
Weird... I could swear my dwarf warrior was level 20 when I finished NWN with just an official patch or two, no expansion packs.

SPOILER ALERT!

That little guy was a monster, though, unless a monster was designed to be unkillable, it would go down without much problems, even the golem in the creator ruins couldn't kill him when I tried to kick its unkillable butt. Don't remember if I tried the big dragon without weakening it a bit, maybe I should've, it went down so easily...

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »
Drozz, one word of warning about the munchkins on the NWN website:

They are meant to be played AT level 40, not starting at level 1 and progressing. Indeed, you will most likely have a frustrating experience with the builds until you reach well into epic levels, and some don't fully come together until they take their 40th level. There are, however, some really awesome builds that can be made, that are very playable from L1 up. Luch, myself, and several others here can give you advice and examples of some if you ever want them ;-) But, outside of a few exceptions, I would really really stay away from the bioware website builds, except as inspiration to make better versions yourself ;-)

Vertigo_tdl

• Tir
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 07:21:01 PM »
I've created one of the characters from that site, whirling death, she's level 12 and i still need to let the merc get 98% of the kills (not that i've got a choice)

I'm Half roleplaying my newest character, a Human Rogue/Assasin/Blackguard, alignment, guess what, chaotic evil.

I love when i get the phrase:

Person: Thanks for rescuing me!!!

Me: Who said i was going to rescue you? Time to die!!!

a blast :D

Rugrats

• Sol
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 09:18:47 PM »
Ahh ..... rogue/assassin/SD ... the epitome of munchkin.

What they should have done is give HiPS a number of uses per day equal to SD class level - shoots all the one-SD builds in the foot.

:P
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn