Author Topic: Guilty as charged?  (Read 852 times)

PapaStache

• Yo Daddy
  • Fal
Guilty as charged?
« on: August 16, 2004, 08:12:37 AM »
Possible spoilers

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours trying my hand at amateur lawyership.  I won, of course, but after all was said and done I wondered if it was worth it.  

I'm referring, of course, to Gorad (sp?), the man accused of killing a fellow citizen during a drunken quarrel over some artifacts lost while gambling.  The trial became a long process of elimination by examination and cross examination and waiting for the torches to drop, only to restore the game and try again.  After much trial and error I decided to do it right and actually take note of the jurors feelings in order to avoid asking the wrong questions.  Still lacking one torch in the verdict I felt I had no choice but to grease the palms of one of the more unsavory jurors, much to my disliking as a Paladin.... but hey, whatever works in the best interest of an innocent person.

And in the end, half the public was still unhappy because justice was not served for one of their own.  So I wonder if all my time waseven worth it.

So how about it?  Did any of you see the futility in all that trouble and let him hang?  Did any of you get it right the first time?  Do any of you now feel qualified to replace 'Ironsides" on TV?
No unauthorized use of this space.  Violators will be towed away at their own expense.

SirWarkof

• Ko
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 08:29:54 AM »
I got the bugger off.

Without bribes. I also seem to remember that all of the jurors said he was not-guilty.

I tend to associate it with tenaciousness, more then anything else.

Although the option of hauling off and killing everyone seemed quite enjoyable at times.

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 09:33:23 AM »
Main thing is heal the guy with the bad leg (just heal it don't talk to him till after it is healed) he is a very important witness, also in the bar keep getting the guy drunk and he will turn for you.

I usually bribe the one Ahole in the bar since you can't reason with him.

I also cast Eagles Splendor and put on any +Charsima items I have, since I always take Persuade it helps alot.

I only screwed up one trial by not taking my time, the other half-dozen times it went good.

Its fun but overall no big thing.:)

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Vireyar

• Amn
    • http://www.chainsmokingdryad.com
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 10:24:22 AM »
IIRC, there's an Insight check in there that you can easily miss; potions of Owl's Wisdom are helpful. I used to know a way to get everyone to say not guilty, but I've forgotten it.

So far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if it's 3-2 or 5-0 not guilty; the outcome is the same. I think things change a little if he's found guilty, but I've never had that happen.
ormerly known as Bloodrose, Decrier of the BDK, Lover of Amazons, &c.

maxbeedo

• Lum
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 12:20:41 PM »
There's a LARGE difference in experience though depending on the verdict.

Guilty Verdict: 390 XP, 100 GP and Rolgan's Head (yay?)
3 to 2 innocent: 781 XP, 1000 GP
4 to 1 innocent: 1171 XP, 1500 GP
Unaminous innocent: 1562 XP, 2000 GP

To get the unanimous you need to get the guy in the bar to admit to something, which requires you have high wisdom and can get the "insight" conversation choice.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Rugrats

• Sol
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 01:32:03 AM »
Yeah, you need to get the Insight question on Lodar to ask if Griff may have started the fight because he thought Rolgan might be an easy mark ... after that, if you don't step on any toes, it should be an easy 5-0 win .... the way I did it:

Quote from: "http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/neverwinter_nights.txt"

Talk to everyone keeping Lodar last, go to the drinking house and be nice to him and
you'll find out how racist he was and another secret. Now start the trial.

Lodar
-------
1)ask him how Griff felt towards Rolgan. Then do the insight question(if no insight
appears you may have to raise your stats)
2)If it was true that rogan gave Griff a spiked drink.
3)If he saw who started the fight
*thats it

Zed
----
1)If he saw who started the fight
2)Ask about the spiked drink.
*thats it

Vanda
------
1)Why she sent Rolgan to see Griff
*thats it

Rolgan
-------
1)What happened that night
*thats it

In closing
-----------
1)We all knew that Griff was a violent man
2)He spiked Rolgan's drink

I got 5-0 using this, no bribes ... but I did have to drop a fortune on a +3 wis ammy to get enough wis to see the Insight question.

Notes:
- for witnesses with multiple questions, you don't need to ask questions in the exact order they are here, just ask the ones you need to ask (i.e. for Lodar, I went "how Griff felt", "did Griff give Rolgan a spiked drink", the insight question and then who started it) ... just make sure you don't accidently annoy anyone and you'll be through, clean as a whistle.

- Any char with natural high WIS should be able to see the Insight question .... I had to boost my wis to 18 to get it - it may be possible lower, I don't know. I also don't know if any skills help with Insight checks, or if it's purely off wis.
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn

Rugrats

• Sol
Guilty as charged?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 01:41:18 AM »
OK, just tried it with a +2 ammy (10k from neurik, lot cheaper than the +3 wis ammy from the trade shop at 25k) and a lucky potion to get 17 wis, I saw the insight question after the first two questions, from there it was smooth sailing.

Without the insight, I think your best hope is 4-1, simply because Averik is such an piehole he likes to see people hang.
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn