Author Topic: Monk Hireling  (Read 1200 times)

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« on: August 10, 2004, 03:51:26 PM »
Which should I take for a pure monk.  Tomi for his traps and locks or The big guy to help lay the smack down?

Thanks.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Monk Hireling
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 04:10:09 PM »
My money's on Tomi. As a monk you can lay the smack down as well as anyone, so trap handling, chest unlocking, etc... is more complimentary to you. Just my two cents, though. Someone else may have a different opinion.

If it was me, though, well, I always take Linu. I kinda like her  :wink:

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 04:26:59 PM »
Quote from: "Legolas"
My money's on Tomi. As a monk you can lay the smack down as well as anyone, so trap handling, chest unlocking, etc... is more complimentary to you. Just my two cents, though. Someone else may have a different opinion.

If it was me, though, well, I always take Linu. I kinda like her  :wink:

Where do you hire her from?

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Monk Hireling
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 04:34:15 PM »
She's in the same bar that you hire Daelan in. She's in a little room off to the right. There's also a sorcerer, bard, and monk for hire in the same bar.

The bard, in particular, is a good alternative to Tomi, as she also can unlock chests.

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 04:39:56 PM »
Guess I need to open my eyes!

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »
I'm going to give Sharwyn a try.  She even agreed to join me for free  :D

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
Monk Hireling
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »
Sharwyn joined you for free??? :shock:   Well, my first run with her, she was too darn slow with her spells.  Then, she got swarmed while I was fighting my own pack and went down in seconds.  Daelen and I are good buddies. :D
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 06:41:52 PM »
Quote from: "Drozz"
Sharwyn joined you for free??? :shock:   Well, my first run with her, she was too darn slow with her spells.  Then, she got swarmed while I was fighting my own pack and went down in seconds.  Daelen and I are good buddies. :D

Yeah, she wanted 250, but I used the persuade feature.  She said something about not needing the cash anyway and signed on.

I like Daelan too, but have already run into locks that can't be picked or broke.  I wonder what's in those chests.

Sharwyn is definately easier on the eyes...

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
Monk Hireling
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »
Hmmm, your charisma score must be pretty nice.

Anything that Daelen and I can't break open, I will recall back and grab Tomi to come unlock it.  In chapter one, it only cost me 50 gp, and what I found was usually better than that, so worth the price.  Other places, I just left unopened and cleared the place out, then went back for Tomi and went through all the unopened chests.
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa

Ambar

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 06:54:49 PM »
Quote from: "Drozz"
Hmmm, your charisma score must be pretty nice.

Anything that Daelen and I can't break open, I will recall back and grab Tomi to come unlock it.  In chapter one, it only cost me 50 gp, and what I found was usually better than that, so worth the price.  Other places, I just left unopened and cleared the place out, then went back for Tomi and went through all the unopened chests.

Actually, my charisma is an 8   :D   We are the same alignment, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

*edit*

In fact, the original asking fee is higher with this character than others with a charisma of at least 10.

maxbeedo

• Lum
Monk Hireling
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 08:13:32 PM »
Yeah, most of the hirelings give you discounts if you're the same alignment and/or race.  Grimgnaw sometimes joins you for free if you're a dwarf.  I usually didn't bother with Tomi or Sharwyn, and went with Daelan, since I really didn't NEED to unlock every chest because you don't need equipment nearly as bad as everyone else (in fact, more than likely you'll find tons and tons of rare armor/weapons that you were desperate for with other classes).  It's not really worth it to have a guy/gal that's useless in combat for those 1-2 chests per chapter that are nearly impossible to bust (you should have some elemental damage from any of the monk gloves, that takes care of 99.5% of chests).  And as a monk, I was proficient with Shurikens, so I saved all my Stars of Ojy-do to bust chests with nasty traps from afar.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Monk Hireling
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »
My monk in the OC (see sig) has gone thus far without a merc at all. No use for one, really. :)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Monk Hireling
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 08:34:21 PM »
I like having a merc around.  I started with Tomi but once I got to level 8, or there about, Tomi was useless in a fight.  So I dumped him.  Tried out Linu and the Wizard but they weren't much use.  Grimshaw was the only one who was able to keep up with my barb/fighter in a fight.  So I finished the game with him.

cloudy

• Shael
Monk Hireling
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 12:19:35 PM »
If you switch Tomi to ranged attacks only, he can sneak attack without getting himself mobbed. Good ranged support for a melee character.
I quit D2 a long time ago, still in the process of giving away my stuff for free. Please make requests ;) [1.11/1.12 items only]