Author Topic: Good high-level modules  (Read 592 times)

Vireyar

• Amn
    • http://www.chainsmokingdryad.com
Good high-level modules
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »
And by high-level I mean between levels 25 and 30. I've only found one so far, Shadows over Heliopolis. Fights are a challenge (although one of them was terribly difficult because all I had were my bow and arrows, and I was getting hit for over 50 points of damage), there are some nice monsters. It has a sort of Dune feel to it - you're in the middle of the desert, you have to watch out for heatstroke and dehydration, there are special clothes and armour to buy to alleviate this (wearing metal armour and helmets is the worst thing you can do; luckily, some of the special robes and hoods you can buy are pretty nice), and best of all, there are sand worms :o No word yet on crysknives.

The first town (there are three, I am led to believe) is very cool towards strangers, and you are a stranger. By completing quests you can gain the townspeoples' acceptance and trust (which is necessary if you ever want to buy or sell anything). Another thing - the towns are apparently very far apart. The distance between the first and second town is said to be a week's travel (between the second and third it is two weeks' travel). So you need to stock up on waterskins, which are heavy (10.5 pounds).

I was especially happy about one bit the author put in, because the first character I tried in the mod was my Rogue/Wizard/AA, and she loves to steal things. There are checks based on Hide and Move Silently whenever you open certain containers. I apparently made a low roll once, because a guard came over and said "Did you hear that?" At that point he was joined by another guard, and they carried on a conversation about how they were probably hearing things. It was almost like playing Thief. You get 5 points towards being Chaotic whenever you steal anything, though, and there aren't a terrible lot of opportunities to gain points towards Lawful. Most of them happen in quest-related conversation trees. So, you must behave appropriately to your alignment.

There are some minor typos, but they aren't enough to get me worked up to the point where I say "has this guy ever heard of a spellchecker?". "You" instead of "your" is about the most serious one I've found, and it's only in two conversations.

You also get stripped of all your inventory at the beginning; only your gold and worn equipment gets carried over. If your equipment isn't up to par, it'll be set to appropriate levels (which is good, because my pure Ranger, brought out of a zip file to play through this, had Greenleaf as her best armour; it was boosted to +6). Also, if you are less than level 25, you will be advanced to that level.
ormerly known as Bloodrose, Decrier of the BDK, Lover of Amazons, &c.

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
Good high-level modules
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 08:59:09 PM »
That sounds like a pretty cool module. And the Dune-like aspects definitely sounds good. I've yet to buy HotU (boo hiss) so unfortunately a lot of the good modules, high level ones obviously, are unatainable. I download "Cave of Songs" which is compatible with SoU only, because Beorn and I were going to MP through it, but we never got around to it.

I've played in a few non-HotU persistant worlds and nearly all of them have their own special rules for stealing and pickpocketing. The most interesting one I had was when I try to "obtain" a musical instrument off of a shop keeper and he chased me outside :shock: Luckily their was a friendly PC around to resurrect me :P Most of them also start you off completely nude. A lot of them implented hunting and sleeping gear as well.

Sounds awesome Bloodrose, what's the full play time like?
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

Vireyar

• Amn
Good high-level modules
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:20:01 PM »
First, I probably should have stuck a NWVault link to the module, so: link! Second, I was wrong about the gold - while it does get carried over, it gets stripped soon after starting the module. No idea when.

I've not gotten through all of the module; I'm on my way to the second town right now with my AA (and have used up 2 waterskins so far). I'd say I've put in about 3 hours so far, and the Vault lists total playtime as 8 hours. However, you must remember that all I've had to use so far were plain old arrows (okay, +6 arrows with Enchant Arrow VI), and melee is not viable - with not even 200 hp at level 27, it doesn't take a lot to kill her. So fights tend to take longer than they probably should. I'll probably end up getting 12+ hours out of this one with my AA, unless I start getting some help or elemental arrows.

And damn it, go buy HotU :P It can't be too expensive at this point, and the added content is definitely worth it.

Vireyar

• Amn
Good high-level modules
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:57:44 PM »
Well, I was on my way to the second town. A little something happened, though (during the course of which I was able to get a decent rapier). Won't spoil it for those who want to play through. Also managed to find the fletcher - it is the second-storey door, above the clothier.

However, ladies and gentlemen, we have wormsign. Besides the rather obvious sandworms, Luvariel is showcasing her stylish desert garb. The robe (complete with cape) was purchased at the extravagant cost of 470,000 gold; the hood only cost around 32,000. The robe was also dyed black (it was originally blue) for better rogue-ing (however, it does tend to confuse as to whether she's a good wizard or an evil wizard; the answer is that she's very good, but also very, very chaotic). She's Improved Invisible there, which, thankfully, the worms don't detect (apparently they rely on sight once they are above the surface).

Wigglygecko

• Eld
Good high-level modules
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:56:48 PM »
I play on a LoTR server called aces world. It a HoTU server and uses the CEP. Its a very fun server and lots of friendly people and guilds. The only drawback is that its to easy to lvl, Achieving lvl 40 in a few days is an easy feat. Its more action orienated then roleplay. Although it has its flaws its very true to LoTR and a very fun server to play on.

And the creators of this Module are in development of a newer bigger module To fix all its flaws.Its going to be a wonder to behold.
urrent NWN chars

Ayame - Guard of mordor  11fighter/27weaponmaster/2rogue

63AB  83AC

Neo - Guard of Mordor
same as ayame but uses scythes..Crits for around 350-410

Link - Guard of Mordor
Current project as a bard/red dragon disciple/Arcane Archer