Author Topic: Parry Questions (no, I will not surrender)  (Read 546 times)

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
Parry Questions (no, I will not surrender)
« on: August 04, 2004, 05:23:05 PM »
Well, "Dirty" Dave LaFeat lives on. For the uninitiated Dave is a swashbuckler, parry extraordinare. I remember the great thread at d2sp but it still left some unanswered questions for me, and I'd like to fully understand parry (in all of it's flaws) before I begin once more.

1. After the parry and the riposte check, does the riposte attack hit automatically, or is it determined by your normal modifiers? I am using Rapier/Dagger combo, and I am curious if Ambidexterity/Two-Weapon Fighting has anything to do with whether or not the riposte hits. Otherwise, Ambi/2Weap is only useful for doing normal attacks.

2. I never bothered with it before, but does "Cleave" and "Great Cleave" work with Parry? I assume not, but will ask regardless.

3. Does "Expertise" and "Improve Expertise" work while in Parry mode? If they do, I suppose this question is similar to the first in whether or not the riposte auto hits or is rolled normally (if Expterise or IE penalty effects the riposte).

4. Do the damage modifiers from Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus/Specialization get added to the riposte atack?

That's about it. Sorry if I confused you noble birds. . . no I'm not, and you're not noble, fiends. Ergh, I mean, thank you.
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Parry Questions (no, I will not surrender)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 05:27:04 PM »
Quote from: "BubbleTough"
Well, "Dirty" Dave LaFeat lives on. For the uninitiated Dave is a swashbuckler, parry extraordinare. I remember the great thread at d2sp but it still left some unanswered questions for me, and I'd like to fully understand parry (in all of it's flaws) before I begin once more.

"Flaws" is an understatement. ;)

1. After the parry and the riposte check, does the riposte attack hit automatically, or is it determined by your normal modifiers? I am using Rapier/Dagger combo, and I am curious if Ambidexterity/Two-Weapon Fighting has anything to do with whether or not the riposte hits. Otherwise, Ambi/2Weap is only useful for doing normal attacks.

Determined as a normal attack, with whatever modifiers might apply.

2. I never bothered with it before, but does "Cleave" and "Great Cleave" work with Parry? I assume not, but will ask regardless.

Never tried, but I would tend to doubt it.

3. Does "Expertise" and "Improve Expertise" work while in Parry mode? If they do, I suppose this question is similar to the first in whether or not the riposte auto hits or is rolled normally (if Expterise or IE penalty effects the riposte).

I believe they do work. But why? I mean, you can only parry/riposte an attack if it HITS. Raising your AC to make it harder to be hit is a bit counter-productive... ;)

4. Do the damage modifiers from Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus/Specialization get added to the riposte atack?

Weapon finesse has no effect on damage anyway. It only affects chance to hit.

Weapon specialization bonus still applies.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

BubbleTough

• Shael
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »
Wow, Luch, you're super.

I thought with Weapon Finesse it used your Dex modifier as a damage bonus as opposed to your Str bonus, unless of course, I am completely wrong in my nub like assumptions. In which case, I have a little more reading to do :punch:

As for the Expertise question, standard build research. . . yeah that's it. *cough*

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:04:13 PM »
Quote from: "BubbleTough"
Wow, Luch, you're super.

I thought with Weapon Finesse it used your Dex modifier as a damage bonus as opposed to your Str bonus, unless of course, I am completely wrong in my nub like assumptions. In which case, I have a little more reading to do :punch:

As for the Expertise question, standard build research. . . yeah that's it. *cough*

Weapon finesse:

Uses Dex modifier to hit, instead of Str, IF dex is higher. Strength is still used to determine damage however. (You're able to hit, cause you're quick and nimble, but if you're a wimp, you still do squat damage).

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

BubbleTough

• Shael
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 08:04:18 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can read.