Author Topic: NWN toolset  (Read 892 times)

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
NWN toolset
« on: April 03, 2004, 05:03:41 PM »
I was reading the Mythos thread, and visited their website (great site by the way Oracle :) ) and was curious how the hell this world was created. I then discovered the NWN toolset.

Now, I haven't fiddled around with it very much. But it intrigues me... a lot. I can forsee myself spending hours upon hours sitting at this computer just tweaking a dungeon, and then another dungeon, then another dungeon, and then after that dungeon, an entire world! (A little ambitous I know)

What I created this for was basically to see if any of my fellow NWN pals have done anything with the NWN toolset before. And if any of you have advise for a module entrepenuer. :)
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

Infinidex

• Nef
    • http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
NWN toolset
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 07:40:28 PM »
Never worked with it, other than puttering around and creating a couple areas. Its easy to make areas, and even easier to make em ugly or sucky.
url=http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/][/url]

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
NWN toolset
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 07:48:43 PM »
I play extensively with the toolset, although I've only contributed two areas to Mythos. Most of my building time goes into custom items, as I've discovered that building areas is not my strong suit.

One thing I do know - Less is More. It's incredibly easy to get carried away and litter areas with placeables and eye candy, but far more pleasing to "suggest" an atmosphere with a few things, not to mention easier on the CPU.

Also, if building for a community, conflicts have to be avoided at all cost, and to this end, specific conventions for tagging areas, items, NPCs, etc MUST be laid out. Actually, even if building for a module of your own, it's easy to accidentally create massive and hard to trace conflicts if you're not careful with how you name things.

And Transitions are a huge pain in the butt, at least for me.  :evil:

EDIT: Oh, and it's also not always easy to get things to actually sit on the floor. I don't know how many times I've reviewed an area and thought everything was great only to play it in game and discover a shrubbery floating at head height.  :roll:

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
NWN toolset
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »
I've had alot of fun with it off and on. It can be really fun to make personalized armor and sword with. (Not uber, just cool lookin' ;-) )

I once wanted to make a mod about fighting, going in successive rooms, with a character in each room an avatar of an NWN person here, but I just don't understand scripting enough to do it right  :evil:

SirWarkof

• Ko
NWN toolset
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 11:14:43 PM »
I find the scripting part to be infinitely cool. I've tried messing around with it a bit, mostly over a Module idea I had running around my head, but the toolset itself seems too klunky for me. But scripting is fun, no doubt about it.

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
NWN toolset
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 06:40:12 PM »
Quote from: "Legolas"
I once wanted to make a mod about fighting, going in successive rooms, with a character in each room an avatar of an NWN person here, but I just don't understand scripting enough to do it right  :evil:

That is a very intriguing idea Legolas. Mind if I steal your idea and give it a whirl? :P
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

spider8bug

• Thul
NWN toolset
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 10:29:05 PM »
Quote from: "Warkof"
I find the scripting part to be infinitely cool. I've tried messing around with it a bit, mostly over a Module idea I had running around my head, but the toolset itself seems too klunky for me. But scripting is fun, no doubt about it.

Maybe we should join to make a mod. I don't really understand the scripting, but I had a lot of fun with making areas, items, monsters...
I was thinking of making a mod myself, but without scripting this would be rather pointless.

/spider
size=9]
:: It is said that Master Yagyu once remarked,
"I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself." ::
Hagakure by Tsunetomo Yamamoto
[/size]