Author Topic: Is NWN a game you can just pick up and play?  (Read 564 times)

Mr. Allen

• The Omnivore
  • Ko
Is NWN a game you can just pick up and play?
« on: August 02, 2004, 06:21:30 PM »
After playing Diablo, is NWN one of those games that I could just pick up and start playing with few problems overall? I'd like to get it one of these days, but I wanted to hear about it first.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 07:16:31 PM »
If you want to survive, probably not.  Knowledge of D&D is very, very useful, otherwise you won't know what strategies are useful and which aren't.  The learning curve isn't prohibitively steep though, just a lot more than D2.  Plus you already have a forum to ask questions in, unlike most of us when we started D2.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Rugrats

• Sol
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 11:28:46 PM »
Play it on easy, with a Fighter (easiest class of all to play) ... you should get the hang of it pretty quick.

After that, RTFM.
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:16 AM »
Well I  knew very little and some say still don't know much, at all about the D@D rules although version 3 makes more sense imo.

I started with a Ranger, then went to a Fighter then to CLerics which are my favorite.

When starting out you have a pretty good tutorial and the game will make recommended stats and skill choices for your character.

Once you get the basics then you can make your own choices.

Hey, if I can learn it anyone can since I am about the slowest new game learner anywhere.

The game itself is pretty much bug free and if you get the Gold edition you also get the first xpack all I think for about $30.00 a great deal imo.

You get alot of play value for your money also there is the second xpack HOU also probally hundreds of player made mods, you could play this game for years and years with all the content to be had.

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:53:45 AM »
Well, I had previous D&D knowledge, but it's from 20 years ago, so I'm not sure how much it helped me.  I didn't seem to struggle with it at first.  The tutorial shows you all the basics, and that's all you really need to get started.  You can do trial and error from that point on and really not suffer too much in penalties.  If you remember to save often, you don't even have to worry about the penalties suffered from dying, which aren't really that steep.

I like the variations that happen once you learn the game.  You can go with the OC to build chars, or you can go to mods, or you can take builds from the OC into mods, and then you have persistent worlds, which open a whole new kind of gaming up to you.
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa