Author Topic: Skills...Prestige Class...Feats  (Read 567 times)

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Skills...Prestige Class...Feats
« on: July 14, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »
These things are all new in D&D aren't they?

If I understand things correctly Wizard is capable of learning skills that really don't pertain to that class.  So in a wierd way you can have a Wizard learning theif skills.  It will just cost them 2 points for every skill that they gain.  Do I have this right?  What are good combinations here.

Prestige Class -- is this something like secret groups that your character can join?  Or is it just a furthur specialization of the class that you choose?  Are there Prestige Class available in NWN or do you need to have the expansions installed?  And should all characters aim at picking up a prestige class at some point?

Feats -- can someone give me a quick overview of this.  I don't remember this from 13 years ago or for that matter I don't remember it in Baldur's Gate.

Feeling like a complete n00b.  :oops:

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:33:18 PM »
Yes, NWN has alot of options. You sort of have to have a vision of what your character is. Is it a clumsy Gnome Wizard, who because of a shady past, can pick locks and cast spells? Is it an Orc thief, who learned how to survive on the streets? A vision of who you are really helps, then you use the skills to help round it out.

Feats? Feats are awesome. Think the skill tree in D2. Like skills above, the help you develop your character. You can develop your Mage to be able to cast spells blinded and muted, train your fighter to kill anything with a single blow, many different routes.

Prestige classes: They are specializations to some extent, new careers to others. An Elven Archer can refine his bow skills to ungodly deadly degrees as an Arcane Archer, yet an evil Rogue can take completely 180* change as a Blackguard (Anti-Paladin). It's an answer that really answers nothing, I know, but like above, it really depends on your character vision.

For instance, I have to classes I more or less specialize in: One is Monk, which is at it's deadliest when played pure, un-multiclassed. The other is Arcane Archer, which can have many routes to get to it, such as Bard, Ranger, Fighter, Rogue, even Wizard or Cleric ;-) All of which depends on who my character is.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:45:50 PM »
As a wizard, your intelligence has to be extremely high, so you also get a lot of extra skill pts per level, but you don't have enough class skills to use them all.  Thus, you can either save them up for a prestige class later, or use 2-for-1s into other skills (mine has 8-10 pts in most of the thief skills at lvl 18 ).  It's really unrealistic how many of the chests you find are locked and/or trapped (or at least annoying).  

Most of your questions are handled by the manual though ;).

Prestige classes are only with the expansions, not the OC.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Drozz

• Court Jester
  • Fal
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »
Blackguard!  Sssith, that is the one I was talking about!  He sounds coooool!

Just so y'all know, it looks like you will soon have two new addicts to add to your ranks.................at least. :wink:

Sssith and I, along with a couple others have been talking about NWN at great lengths.  Coming soon to a MP game or Persistent World near you.  See, I'm already learning the lingo. :lol:
Official Member of the Hole in the Head Gang
Drozz, Jbbto, Michelle and Daveinthebasement

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish - Mother Theresa

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 06:17:22 PM »
I have this vision of a thief that is almost like a bard in the sense that he/she will be very persuasive and able to insinuate his/her self into all sorts of places by charming people.  He/she will kind of be a user, using people to his/her own ends.  Not a killer...

Now I guess I need to figure out what skills and feats best match this idea and see if it will be doable.  

And yeah Max I should wait to get the game so I can read the manual.  Just getting pretty psyched to try this out! :D