Author Topic: 1d? damage difference  (Read 781 times)

PapaStache

• Yo Daddy
  • Fal
1d? damage difference
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:50:48 AM »
A little help, please.

I am in the prison underground trying to kill the freak beast that is a potential cure for the plague.  It just refuses to die before I run out of health potions and eventually health.  I am still using a short sword with 1d6 damage.  I am tempted to buy a long sword with 1d8 damage.

By my own calculations the long sword would inflict 33% more damage over a given period of time.  Is this accurate enough?  I haven't bought one yet because money is still a little tight.  Would 2 more points be worth the price?

Thanks in advance.
No unauthorized use of this space.  Violators will be towed away at their own expense.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
1d? damage difference
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 10:07:38 AM »
Actually, I have never really had much issue with that thing but yeah, the damage reduction it has could be annoying. I would recommend first taking Daelan down with you - he does enormous damage and can take it out pretty easily. Depending on what class you are, I would look into other options, such as a wand of magic missiles (ignores its damage reduction), scrolls, etc.

You *could* try a better weapon, since the shortsword is kinda pathetic really, unless you're dual-wielding them - really, leave the shortswords to the rogues and halflings and get yourself a real blade. Frankly, getting yourself the hurtiest sword you can (a greatsword) would be worthwhile, assuming you're playing a fighter-type. Optionally, you could go for a scimitar or rapier. While the damage is still 1d6, they crit on an 18-20, and it's crits that are going to really make that devourer go down.

What class/level are you? Hard to give decent advice without knowing the specifics... ;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

PapaStache

• Yo Daddy
  • Fal
1d? damage difference
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:19:05 AM »
She's a paladin of the fourth level.  I'm using the game-built defaults with no package options.  Pretty vanilla, I think.

I had not thought of the henchman option.  Once paid will they stay with me indefinitely?  Or must I continue to pay periodically?
No unauthorized use of this space.  Violators will be towed away at their own expense.

SirWarkof

• Ko
1d? damage difference
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 10:28:42 AM »
Paladins don't use short swords, as they can't even call the "Wuss" card like rogues :P.

Get yourself a longsword, or, prefereably, a big Greatsword.

You only need to pay Henchpeople once, and that's only in the first chapter They're worth lugging around, in my opinion. Especially Linu.

And, remember, NWN DR is based on your weapon enchantment at times, so buying a +1 or 2, if they sell those at chapter 1, may totally bypass the bastard's DR.

maxbeedo

• Lum
1d? damage difference
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:25:03 AM »
The devourer has damage reduction of 5 (+1 weapons don't bypass it as far as I know, and I doubt you could find a +2 or +3 that early on), so actually the longsword would boost your damage by a lot more than 33%, because you'd have a lot fewer times that you hit for zero damage.  Use a greatsword if you have to, most of my paladin's used one anyway.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

spider8bug

• Thul
1d? damage difference
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 10:41:27 PM »
I know how you feel, it took me forever with my dual shortsword fighter/rogue to kill that thing.

/spider
size=9]
:: It is said that Master Yagyu once remarked,
"I do not know the way to defeat others, but the way to defeat myself." ::
Hagakure by Tsunetomo Yamamoto
[/size]

PapaStache

• Yo Daddy
  • Fal
1d? damage difference
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I did as was suggested: hired Daelan and equipped myself with a greatsword +1 that I had found.  The devourer got a lot friendlier after that.

Now that big spider in the beggars' section was a whole 'nother story.  But after about 12 attempts he also became another addition to the history books.

And so the fun continues. :)