Author Topic: BG2 - Starting out  (Read 606 times)

DariusTriplet

• Amn
BG2 - Starting out
« on: May 12, 2004, 05:22:57 PM »
I just bought Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal the other day, and was wondering about the following:

-What are the major differences between the BG2 ruleset and 3.5 rules?
-Mod question:  I downloaded the fixpack and textupdate for ToB.  If I was to play SoA, would these packs affect it also?

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
BG2 - Starting out
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:43:39 AM »
I can't tell you the major differences, but they are huge, you might want to PM Luchiare since he knows quite a bit about D@D rules.

I did play BG and BG2, don't know about the packs but would imagine they would also work for SOA.

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
BG2 - Starting out
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:58:50 AM »
The differences between 2nd edit D&D and 3rd edit are massive, way too massive to list completely here.

The key ones are:

Less = More. THAC0 and AC are all better if the figures are lower. AC-10 is about the best you can get and the lower your roll To Hit Armour Class 0 the better.

Multi Classing - only certain races can bet multi-class and the choices you have a fixed, unlike the multiclassing system of 3rd edit. So if you start out as a Fighter/Thief you stay as a fighter thief and the xp you gain is split between levelling up the two classes. FIghter/Mage/Thieves are the swiss army knives of Bg2 and a lot of fun. :)

Dual Classing - only humans can dual class and once you dual class you stop progressing in your initial class forever. This may sound limiting, but very powerful combinations are possible. Kensai dual classed to mage rocks.

Classes & Kits - the classes in 2nd Edit D&D are not as customisable as the 3rd edit ones, so certain classes have "class kits" which make them a little more different from the norm.

As for patching. If you have ToB installed, then you should only use the ToB patches. Patches that effect ToB effect SoA as well, as they are effectively the same engine.

On a final note.

Remove the xp cap! Got to the Team Baldurs gate webby and get the xp cap remover! The xp cap will cause you to waste millions of points of xp, don't let it! :D
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."