Author Topic: State of the Forum  (Read 1219 times)

Jazz

• Mad Scientist
  • Um
Re: State of the Forum
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
Like so many others, I would just like reading access to the old stuff, there are a lot of book and movie recs I don't bother extracting because they are here.

As others have said, it is the people, not the URL that matters.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jazz-1209/career

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

DariusTriplet

• Amn
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I'm fine either way.  If GO.net is overly difficult to maintain, then moving to a different site (and migrating the public archive) is reasonable.  I would like for there to at least be an indexed read-only archive, since there's an extraordinary amount of information on Diablo 2 here.

Really, I'm here for the people/community, and I'll follow that to whichever URL/site is settled on.

Will PMs be preserved as well, or will we need to copy those out ourselves?

Since you currently represent 50% of the active d2 board I'm glad you have seen this and responded

Someone has to keep the Treasure Trove alive ;)

Melchior

• Kiwi Poker
  • Lum
  • Dead Man's Hand
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
Have to agree with the general sentiment. As long as we're all together, it doesn't matter too much where the forum is. This is the only forum I have used continuously (13+ years) and I would hate to lose the content we have built.

My only request is similar skins because I am so averse to change :)
D3
Seasonal

D2 Hardcore 1.10
Guardian Xenyah 91 Pure Blizzard
Guardian Leraje 91 Summoner
Guardian Devereux 82 Zealot
Guardian Solstice 81 Blizzballer
Guardian Melchior 84 Concentrator
Guardian Crash 89 Whirler

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Its possible to have the same skin I use, I think others can be added if you have something else.  Pix was doing that before.

nanenj

• Administrator
  • Ko
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 04:03:23 AM »
So last weekend I did some experimentation, I set up a few different pieces of forum software, because I'm -not- averse to change, and I wanted to explore a few options I -could- maintain better as a software developer.   None of it really panned out though.   That being said, setting up a brand new copy of SMF was not difficult.

To those mentioning not having forum or games in the URL.   We can easily change that.  I have a few dozen domain names, and more are always cheap. :P   Will have more updates likely next weekend,  This week work is consuming my soul.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:07 PM »
Just let me know what we're doing. I'm fine hosting a forum, I'm fine not hosting one.

nanenj

• Administrator
  • Ko
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
First attempt is going to be an in place migration to simply a fresh install, and see if that resolves issues.  I have a feeling Dreamhost itself has some buggery with it's mail servers that might require a bit more finaggling, but, here's hoping for a (speedy compared to the usual pace of things) implementation.  This -SHOULD- not disappear during any of this.   It may merely suddenly appear to be a new forum.   -I WILL- have a link to where all of this is hosted there, maybe not immediately, but not deleting anything.

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
Sorry about being late to the thread.  I haven't logged in in a while.  Just been to damn busy.  I agree with many of the comments.  I like having a place to discuss gaming with people I've chatted with for years.  It's comfortable.  That said, if the forums need a refresh, fine.  I agree having a searchable archive is really sufficient, at least as far as I'm concerned.  I've gone back and dug up builds, ideas and recommendations off and on over the years, and would like to continue to do so.

I'm a software researcher, so I do have skills and am more than willing to assist but I haven't ever managed a website.  Many thanks Nanenj for keeping things.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 01:59:14 PM »
I do have skills

"Chicks dig guys with skills"

Reigns

• Parsley Boy
  • Lem
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
As someone who has been far more focussed in taking care of ailing family members in March, I only found out this was going on.  I don't much care what we do so long as there's a D3 board and a Library thread for newly read books / book suggestions.  However, I cannot log into the new forums at all.  Reigns is not a recognized username.  Please advise. 
Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!

Reigns

• Parsley Boy
  • Lem
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
As someone who has been far more focussed in taking care of ailing family members in March, I only found out this was going on.  I don't much care what we do so long as there's a D3 board and a Library thread for newly read books / book suggestions.  However, I cannot log into the new forums at all.  Reigns is not a recognized username.  Please advise.

I got in.  Carry on.
Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!