Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 6369 times)

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2016, 03:16:33 AM »
I'm really enjoying my NG+ playthrough of DS2. The game throws lots of surprises at you, so the complacency of clearing the game with slightly tougher mobs, doesn't set in. The little traps the game throws at you are tough but, part of the satisfaction comes from dealing with them and surviving them.

My favourite so far has been in Harvest Valley. In NG there is a corridor with a Banedigger, where you bait the enemy into using its Dark Orb attack to knock down a wall so you can access a room with items. Down the corridor before you approach the Banedigger is a room with four dual sickle weidling artificial undead. In NG, that room with the artificial undead is a bit of a trap, as you can only see one of them and the other three come as something of a surprise.

NG+ keeps the surprise alive.

You go up to the Banedigger, get near the wall you want it to blast down. The wall behind you explodes as a red phantom artificial undead springs out. Down the corridor behind the Banedigger another red phantom artificial undead  appears!

All four artificial undead in that room also activate and start moving on you.

Surviving that initial surprise was, in and of itself, an achievement.

Successfully taking out all SIX artificial undead (which involved a lot of running), felt pretty darn epic.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2016, 04:47:44 AM »
I'm really enjoying my NG+ playthrough of DS2. The game throws lots of surprises at you, so the complacency of clearing the game with slightly tougher mobs, doesn't set in. The little traps the game throws at you are tough but, part of the satisfaction comes from dealing with them and surviving them.

My favourite so far has been in Harvest Valley. In NG there is a corridor with a Banedigger, where you bait the enemy into using its Dark Orb attack to knock down a wall so you can access a room with items. Down the corridor before you approach the Banedigger is a room with four dual sickle weidling artificial undead. In NG, that room with the artificial undead is a bit of a trap, as you can only see one of them and the other three come as something of a surprise.

NG+ keeps the surprise alive.

You go up to the Banedigger, get near the wall you want it to blast down. The wall behind you explodes as a red phantom artificial undead springs out. Down the corridor behind the Banedigger another red phantom artificial undead  appears!

All four artificial undead in that room also activate and start moving on you.

Surviving that initial surprise was, in and of itself, an achievement.

Successfully taking out all SIX artificial undead (which involved a lot of running), felt pretty darn epic.

I dubbed this place "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Lure spell".

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2016, 07:25:10 AM »
I found I can just run them round in a circle, dropping off the ledge outside and pick them off one at a time.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »
DS2 was the only game in the series that got NG+ right I think.  There are so many little touches they put in, though I don't want to spoil too many of them.  There's a pair of red phantoms in the drop into the Gutter near where the 6 explody guys come at you from alternate sides.  One's wearing Faraam Armor, the other is a maiden with lightning miracles (you're also in water there...) and the Dingy Set, which is the set Anastacia dropped in DS1 when Lautrec killed her.  There's an Onion Knight that can drop pieces of the Catarina set in the Forest of Fallen Giants area near the Soldier's Rest bonfire.  At least 2 bosses are significantly harder because of extra enemies added. 
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »
Guys, I don't need incentives to do yet another DS2 run!

Not when I must re-plug my PS3 to play Demon's Souls.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2016, 03:17:01 AM »
At least 2 bosses are significantly harder because of extra enemies added.

I wonder which those two bosses are?
Both the Flextile Sentry and Lost Sinner have extra enemies added and they were not significantly harder. Maybe solo they would be but, going in with phantoms or co-op, it makes very little difference.

I hope there are not extra enemies in the Royal Rat Authority fight, that already sucks enough as it is.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
The pyromancers in the Lost Sinner fight can be a bitch, though when I went through it Lucatiel destroyed both of them by herself so I agree they don't always make the fight much harder.  The suspicious shadows in the Flexile Sentry fight can actually infinite-attack your guard with their charge move (if you're blocking it sometimes glitches so you get "hit" a bazillion times in one attack, lose all your stamina and have your guard broken even with a greatshield), though if you're a mobile character it's not an issue.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
Quote from: maxbeedo
It only has one use for a specific NPC interaction (mostly for dialogue/story). 

The way with the skeletons is "not the standard path" to take at the beginning.  It's certainly possible to suicide run that way to grab all the items they're guarding (you always keep all items upon death), or for an expert to run that way towards the area past it for specific reasons (there are 2 areas past the skeletons but the 2nd you literally can't finish for a while so you'd have to turn around), but the difficulty of that area is much higher than the next 6-10 areas going the other direction.  Dark Souls gives you that kind of freedom though, far more so than most games.

Asking too many newbie questions in the other thread.  I thought I should bring it here.

Is there way way to tell that I am going down a wrong path. It seemed that I had two choices.  Go up or down.  I went up.  Then I think there were three paths, I just choose the left one.  I guess the speed in which you die might be an indicator.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
Quote from: maxbeedo
It only has one use for a specific NPC interaction (mostly for dialogue/story). 

The way with the skeletons is "not the standard path" to take at the beginning.  It's certainly possible to suicide run that way to grab all the items they're guarding (you always keep all items upon death), or for an expert to run that way towards the area past it for specific reasons (there are 2 areas past the skeletons but the 2nd you literally can't finish for a while so you'd have to turn around), but the difficulty of that area is much higher than the next 6-10 areas going the other direction.  Dark Souls gives you that kind of freedom though, far more so than most games.

Asking too many newbie questions in the other thread.  I thought I should bring it here.

Is there way way to tell that I am going down a wrong path. It seemed that I had two choices.  Go up or down.  I went up.  Then I think there were three paths, I just choose the left one.  I guess the speed in which you die might be an indicator.

If you're just dying over and over and feel like you're banging your head on the wall, there's 2 possibilities:
1. You suck and just need to git gud
2. You should seek an alternate path and come back later

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
Unlike many RPGs, skill is king in Dark Souls.  It's 100% possible to beat the game without ever leveling or using any gear... if you're godlike.  Levels and gear simply make the margin for error wider (especially heavy armor and a good shield). 

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2016, 02:48:41 AM »
The other thing with Dark Souls is that it doesn't deny you what you need to complete an area. Fighting skeletons? Get a mace. Haven't got a mace? There is a guy you can buy them from.

What you find is that wherever you are progressing, the game will provide you with gear upgrades over what you have. But you don't need these to beat the game.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:47 AM »
As has been pointed, there aren't too many "wrong ways" in Dark Souls, though some paths are more sensible than others.You made the right choice going up, both path leading down (New Londo and Catacombs) can be murderous on a new char and are better left for much later. Not sure what you mean by your second "three-way" choice (is it the one beyond the bridge after the Minotaur boss ? In that case up and right are mere rooms to visit) but there aren't really branching paths from there, so feel free to explore. Beyond the very first choice from Firelink Shrine which can indeed take you to places that are harsh on a new player, all other zones can more or less be done as you unlock them, and if you really feel you die more than you should (which should still be a fair amount in DS) and you have other accessible zones, just feel free to put back that exploration for later.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
Good advice all.  Thanks.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2016, 03:24:09 AM »
In DS1 my Balder Side Sword/Dex build is almost caught up to where my STR build got to. I've just got to clear a little bit more of the Depths and I'm at the Gaping Dragon. I'm a lower level than the STR build but, I've done more with the game, largely because I started with the Master Key as my gift and that makes such a huge difference in how you access the game. Having Havel's Ring (I sniped Havel to death, cheese ftw) and all the additional weight limit I have, means I'm not worrying about what armour I wear and I've got the full the Elite Knight set on. Its noticeable how much more of a difference armour makes to survivability in DS1 compared to DS2.  Taurus Demon before the Depths was still a one shot fight, I've no idea why people find that difficult but I suspect all the multi-mob boss fights in DS2 have me primed for dealing with that sort of encounter.

In DS2 I'm still farming the Guardian Dragon for scales. Only another 20 kills to go to max my Dragon Covenant standing and I'll have the full funky Black Dragon Armour set. Then I think I'll farm the Dragon Knights in the Dragon's Aerie to get the Black Dragon Sword and Shield. With that full set, I'll make my NG++ run a full fashion souls experience with the Dragon gear on.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2016, 03:58:28 AM »
Just discovered this on reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/55l9ng/whats_the_general_awareness_on_stun_riposting/

....not exactly game changing but, interesting and potentially advantageous info for anyone playing through using a 2H weapon and looking to have an easier time of it vs certain mobs. Big attack = stun on certain enemies = follow-up attack is riposte = dead enemy in most cases. Really useful info for Loyce Knight farming in the Old Chaos if you're doing that sort of thing.