Author Topic: Who Do You Support (DA - Mage vs Templars)  (Read 2528 times)

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Who Do You Support (DA - Mage vs Templars)
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
We have been having a nice fun debate about Templars vs Mages. 

I though it would be nice to have an impartial question/poll to see where people stand.

:P

edit: Clarified the purpose of the thread.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:03:21 AM by Sssith »

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Who Do You Support
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
Nice poll options.

You left out: "Mages! I support terrorism as a valid protest mechanic!"

:P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
 :mrgreen:

I was going to change them after you saw the options.

Didn't realize that I can't.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change poll options.
 :shock:

:innocent:

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
Awwww.... you can't change them?

That's unfortunate.

I can.

:razz:

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
Nevermind.

The editing of the poll was there just not where I expected it.

The original, and correct, wording of the poll.  :P
I support the poor down trodden and oppressed mages who just want to live their lives with the same freedom as everyone else!
I support the oppression of minorities and the status quo.  By any means necessary (torture acceptable)!  Go Team Templars!

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
Go Team Mage.  You can trust us

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
The games are certainly more effective at making you sympathetic to mages because you can actually play as one but you can't actually play as a Templar serving the chantry (just play with some of their abilities, that are typically underwhelming).  I could see supporting the Templars if there was a sequence that, due to past choices, your mage character automatically gets possessed at some point and you lose the game, or if you played as a Templar in a circle and watching the weaker-minded mages fail at their harrowing, but we don't see anything like that.  The mages WE care about do just fine ;).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 06:23:34 AM »
Wait, I don't get it...  Is this about some game in particular or just in general? 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:36 AM »
Mages FTW.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »
Wait, I don't get it...  Is this about some game in particular or just in general? 

In the last game there is a stark choice between the two groups.  Have you played the second game?

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
Given the binary option presented in the third game, I choose templars (with this character - could differ with the next or the one after, etc).

Neither is the right choice though.

The right choice is a compromise position that respects that mages are still people, while also acknowledging that they are inherently dangerous and there has to be some way to protect not just them but everyone around them. Like mandatory schools where they can learn to control their power and resist possessions. And have a few templars and capable senior mages on hand to take care of abominations when shit hits the fan. And shit will hit the fan sometimes. It's unavoidable given the nature of magic in the world as designed.

Without any sort of control or supervision, every child with magical ability is the equivalent of a child with gun-hands. People will die just by virtue of kids being kids and doing things kids do.

Letting mages live all free and clear like "normal" people is irresponsible, however much modern-world (non-magical!) hearts might like to bang the "freedom for everyone" drum. In our world, we don't have people who can be randomly possessed, turn into abominations, and level cities with their minds. If we did, I guarantee we would be looking for a way to protect everyone from that.

So, something LIKE circles are needed. Not prisons, but ... places. Places to learn (safely) and practice and so on. Places with proper oversight so there are no situations like Kirkwall, with slavery and so on and female mages being made tranquil for the sexual gratification of some templars. Because really, the problem wasn't the circle system - it was the lack of oversight and accountability. In circles that function properly, things work fine. Mages can come and go once they pass their Harrowing - they're not prisoners. There's a mutual respect between the mages and templars - look at the relationship between then head mage and head templar at the circle in DA:O, for instance. And listen to Vivienne. She's a bitch, but she's very clear in how to make circles work and why life in a "good" circle isn't bad at all.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for now.

Edit: Oh, and fuck Tranquility. Fuck it right to death. Anyone who suggests making a mage tranquil for any reason should be fed to pigs. The thought of being made Tranquil is fucking terrifying. So let's just remove that entire concept from the table of discussion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:48:23 AM by Pixelated »

Agodeshalf

• Io
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
Since I haven't made it to the end, I don't know how the mage/templars choice plays out.  But as my character is a mage I couldn't see not siding with the mages at least in so far as that fork in the quest path.

Mages here remind me of Darkover, and the choices they made were the towers.  All psychically capable people, for the most part, went to the towers to be trained, after which they were free to move or stay.

And yes, making them tranquil is just wrong, but it does "solve" the problem.  Not sure what else you'd recommend although I suspect that killing them might be preferable.

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

In the last game there is a stark choice between the two groups.  Have you played the second game?

What game(s)?  There's nothing in the title of this thread about any game.  I assume it's a game Bioware makes...
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »

What game(s)?  There's nothing in the title of this thread about any game.  I assume it's a game Bioware makes...

Dragon Age... specifically the 3rd game in the series - the one that came out last month (Inquisition).

It's rather a big deal in the gaming world right now. Incredibly good, monstrously epic in size/scope, and beautiful as anything. GOTY at the video game awards, and so on.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
Ha...Sorry Butch.  I thought you had played Dragon Age Origins.  Very good game.  The second one is called Dragon Age 2.  The second one has good game play an interesting story but craptastic environments.  The third in the series is Dragon Age Inquisition.  So far it is a fantastic game (even with its flaws).   

The conflict between Mages and Templars is present in all games and is at the heart of the third.