Author Topic: Warriors Are Boring  (Read 1598 times)

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Warriors Are Boring
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
I was thinking of posting this in the Da:I thread, basically asking what people have heard about the fighters in the new game.  Personally I have found warriors to be boring in Dragon Age. In my experience Mages and Rogues command the battle field while warrior are sponges meant to absorb damage.  I never found the skills of a warrior to be too interesting.  I am wondering and hoping that is not the case in Da:I.  Could be that I am not playing the warrior well.  What do you people do with your warriors?  And what have you heard with regard to the new game?

Crashace

• Ral
Re: Warriors Are Boring
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
Can't speak on anything since DA:O, but my first character was a duel-wielding warrior and I had a lot of fun with him.   He could soak up some damage, although not as much as Alistair, and could deal out a ton, and hit multiple targets as well.  He was a solid combo with Morrigan as he had 2 or maybe 3 skills that could shatter the mobs that she froze with Cone of Cold.  Mages do get more interesting skills, but that's pretty standard fare.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
I've played them all. Warriors were always quite fun, and will be the class I play first in DA:I. I like sword and board for a tanking playstyle - get all the aggro, soak all the damage, let a [properly-tactics-tuned] party of DPS NPCs do the damage. Or, I build for crazy two-handed-sword damage and just go all full assault (requires a mage backup who is good at healing and buffing). Couple with a ranged rogue and a tanky NPC for max effectiveness (Aveline + Varic were perfect for this approach in DA2).

Rogues bored me. Now I just leave the locks and shit to the party rogue.

Mages are fun. Blowing shit up never gets old. Just as long as I have an NPC mage to handle the boring healing stuff.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
I started DA:O with a warrior.  I quickly found that in battle I would switch to the other characters to win the battle.  So I started the game again and chose a mage.  DA2 I am dual wield rogue and I can get from one side of the battle to the other.  I have be careful not to get overwhelmed which makes for interesting gaming. 

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
I get bored with sword + board. In DA:O, two-handers were so abysmally slow that I got tired of them very easily. However, 2 handed warriors in DA2 were hella fun, and from what I've seen look much closer to DA2 than DA1 in Inquisition. Still haven't decided what to start with Inquisition though.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
The thing with DA:O is that the Warriors in the group needed the least micromanagement, whereas the Rogues and Mages were generally pretty stupid on their own and needed your guidance to be effective.  This is less true with DA2, where the warrior's slide/shield bash makes them a lot more fun to play and the AI a little more balanced and able to track groups of enemies better.  I will be starting DA:I with a Warrior.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
In DA:O, tanking was pretty dull indeed, Alistair and Shale could do all the heavy lifting without requiring much manual input but for some specific fights. That said, I played a dual-wielding DPS warrior which I had a lot of fun with. STR, dual-wielding Dwarf berserker reaver, this was quite faster than two hander and Whirlwinding/Dual sweeping through things was pleasant.

In DA II, Warriors were great. Again, no idea about sword and board (why would anyone but AVeline do the job) but with a massive 2-Handed weapon and the fact that your attacks had enough reach to hit several enemies with each hit, it was great to play. Berserker and Reaver again to get speed and even more damage, and you could teare through things.

SO basically, tanking is meh, dps warrior ar Diablo barbarians and feel fun.

As for the other classes, in DA:O while they were rather efficient I wasn't overly fond of rogues. Fights were longer, and aggro management was more of an issue than with DPS warrior who could easily take a bit of heat. Fantastic to remove a mage from a fight, but meh for the creep. DA:II rogue is all about totally overkilling and one shooting major threats, downing them so quickly aggro could not be an issue, any target you aggroed died. It made them much more dynamic and more fun than in DA:O IMO. Basically, DA II having many more aggro management skills gave them back their niche which was lacking in D:O

Mages, well, in DA:O they were ridiculously overpowered, in closed spaces you could win entire fights with AoE + some glyphs to prevent enemies from getting out. That still was fun to play, in a "how can I decimate that whole pack without any member of the team getting hit" kind of way, and they were probably the class with the most variations to try.

I didn't play a mage in DA II, but when manually using Merril/Anders, I was less impressed. The game being generally much faster with much more mobile enemies (or dumb, run into the firestorm and die from friendly fire allies) made AoE very situational, and single targets spell were lacking in DPS. They were mostly a support role, with fantastic buffs(Heroic Aura, Healing, Haste for ANders) and debuffs (all the entropy tree, Dessicate/Petrify, Blood Magic for Merril). But again, I didn't play a mage myself, there may be more "involved" combinations to play as a main character.

As for DA:I, well, the reson I am getting it Day One is more MP, solo may wait for my next rig early next year, so I'll choose my class based on how the MP gameplay feels. Currently, only consideration is that archers have a bad track record in DA (at least player-controlled ones, Varric was a monster) so if they are more fun in DA:I I'd like to try one.