Author Topic: NWN2 difficulty  (Read 2929 times)

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
NWN2 difficulty
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
Does anyone know/remember how difficult the campaign and expansions were? I played through the original but not the expansion.  Since I recently grabbed the complete edition and the Mask of the Betrayer expansion is meant to be really rather good I thought I'd play through.

To make it more interesting, I thought I'd try to RP the character out a bit.  I was looking to play someone smart and charismatic, but physically pretty weak.  He generally wants to do the 'right' thing, but that is second fiddle to staying alive!  With that said, I can't think of a class combination that would benefit from both high int and charisma, so it is probably going to be pretty crap combat wise.  I just can't remember if the game itself is at all difficult as I don't want it to turn out to be an exercise in frustration!

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
Re: NWN2 difficulty
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »
You know, NWN2 is on my "to play" list, and I have my own "goal" of playing each year one of the great PC RPGs I missed by being mostly a console player at the time. (last year was Torment)

Anyways, if that doesn't slow down too much the rythm you want to play at, we could play it coop, especially and I certainly wouldn't mind playing something a bit rougher and dumber as a change of what I usually go for.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:28:55 AM »
Bard-based builds will want high CHA and benefit from not skimping on INT.  NWN2 has a ludicrous number of skills and Bards have access to more than most as class skills, plus CHA is their magic stat.
The trick with Bards is that they literally do want a bit of everything but WIS so you usually can't minimax them out.  But they make a party very strong.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/922154-neverwinter-nights-2/faqs/46584 covers the basics.

[edit] Forgot to answer the actual question - I found the campaign to be mostly straightforward in difficulty although I do tend to play powerbuilds.  As always the frustration in NWN2 comes from the UI rather than the game itself :}
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:31:42 AM by Thrugg »
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »
Warlocks are CHA based, tons of fun, damn powerful, and it wouldn't be painfully gimped to drop some extra points in INT and skip on STR. CON is never a dump stat for any class, but skimping there won't hurt a warlock any more than it would any other class.

Also, tons of fun. :P

As for the difficulty of the campaign: as someone who tends toward RP builds more than min/max powerbuilds, I think overall it was pretty forgiving (though I never quite finished it all) and your party can really make up for your weak spots, but I vaguely recall that it did have some bullshitty sections that might be frustrating... but that might apply to anyone.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
You know, NWN2 is on my "to play" list, and I have my own "goal" of playing each year one of the great PC RPGs I missed by being mostly a console player at the time. (last year was Torment)

Anyways, if that doesn't slow down too much the rythm you want to play at, we could play it coop, especially and I certainly wouldn't mind playing something a bit rougher and dumber as a change of what I usually go for.

This could be a lot of fun actually! I wasn't going to blitz it so taking it a bit slower will work nicely.  I've never tried it multiplayer so have no idea how it works in terms of your party and dialogue and such.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Well, I'll re-install it tonight, and we can discuss how we want to make this work :)

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:28:26 AM »
Right. So to sum up a bit what we've been discussing this week-end, I'll be going with a spear-wielding chaotic neutral Grey Orc cleric of Talos, witht the idea of becoming a stormlord pretty fast. I'm considering Destruction and War Domains, but Destruction and Fury sounds fun too, (Raging, enlarged orc cleric ?!!? Hell yeah!) though leaving me a bit short on the prereq feats for Stormlord.

That should keep me busy for 15 levels already, I'll see later if I go back to standard cleric levels or mix it up with other things, not knowing the game I'll see how the story and gameplay drive the character evolution.

I was starting to think of a back story but the first 10 seconds of the game (foster son of an elf, really??) kicked it in the nut, so meh :p Let' just say that while he doesn't necessarily pick fights or even is especially mean, if you happen to become his enemy (which can happen quite fast) being slaughtered, having your family slaughtered, your tribe slaughtered and your village burnt all enter his concept of fair retaliation.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:58:36 AM by Mad Godji »

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
if you happen to become his enemy (which can happen quite fast) being slaughtered, having your family slaughtered, your tribe slaughtered and your village burnt all enter his concept of fair retaliation.

...even some of the trees have been stabbed!

Call him Kronar. Go on. You know you want to. ;)
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
I'd have if this didn't sound so terribly wrong in French :D ("Konar" phonetically sounds like "connard", a french insult)

After a few disappointments (the rage spell from the fury domain is magic so does not stack with anything, or Tenser's transformation being a shapeshift effect) I decided that Ranork (see what I did there?) was definitely not angry enough. So he's not just a cleric stormlord, he's shaping up to be a cleric/Frenzied Berserker/Stormlord. (Yes, at this stage I could probably just go for Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker, but come on, he's not just a maniac, he was EDUCATED into lunacy).

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »
We need to get started, as my brain is entering "character ideas overdrive mode".

I blame the fantastic character builder at http://nwn2db.com.

Just for fun a char idea I found on that site which is just so good I'm probably going to play a solo campaign in parallel of our coop one just to play her :
She-Hulk

Barbarian, Frenzied Berserker, (Bard) Dragon Disciple. The deal maker : she's a half-orc female with 12 points base CHA to get the "flirty" background feat and the ridiculous dialogues this lead to.

So more precisely, half-orc, angry barbarian draconic flirtatious character. Sign me up.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:21:49 AM by Mad Godji »

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
Haha! That's pretty wrong right there.

Should have time on either Saturday or Sunday to get started (need to find out which!) maybe even Friday evening depending on what Dani is doing.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Pretty much available all WE but in the evenings, so if you see me on Steam poke me, chance is I'll be available :)