Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 34797 times)

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2015, 08:55:18 PM »
Got two Perseverance from chests tonight. That's in addition to the one I already had. Why couldn't one of them be PBTM? *grumbles*
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:22 AM »
I finished the game this week-end.

A whooping 150 hours for game + DLC, played in my classic OC manner (i.e. probably 98+% of quests done).

I really liked the game, though it was indeed maybe even a bit too long for its own good near the end. Not all areas have the same "depth" (Crestwood especially is a bit weirdly separated from antything else happening in the story).

I'm quite impressed at how they manage to re-tie many loose ends (even if this sometimes lessen the impact of choices from the previos games), and the doors they open near the end of the game could make for very interesting developments in the DA universe.

Main gripe is probably about many of the plot devices : it is all about perfectly sane people making completely ridiculous decisions. And not in a 'in their context, it might make sense that...", no, I really felt like slapping just about every leader of the numerous factions you encounter in the game while yelling "HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID!"

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Yeah, not all areas are created equal, but that's a minor complaint really.  Crestwood is kinda annoying as an area considering you also don't get any good materials there, and it feels like there was more they wanted to do with the underground areas and the quest to close the big rift.

The whole Mage/Templar thing went out with a whimper, idiot leaders and not much of a resolution (uh, I guess the other whole group got assimilated?  But then you still see Red Templars if you sided with the Templars, etc.).  Luckily the late-game stuff with Flemeth and all the Elven history makes up for it.  The story told in the dungeon in the Emerald Graves was pretty sweet as well, though it makes you wonder how the Elves forgot about it since the destruction of the DALES wasn't that long ago (Arlathan is the one they never remember anything about).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #408 on: April 24, 2015, 03:32:34 AM »
Gah, sorry, Crestwood awas strangely out of place, but still interesting, I meant the gloomy swamp where youmeet some Avvars and the only mission really is to reach a castle and fight a big Avvar to free your men.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #409 on: May 06, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
New multiplayer expansion came out yesterday (as well as the Black Emporium for console users).  You can play as Isabella now in MP (for whatever sense that makes), and there are 2 other new characters, all of which take a buttload of materials to unlock (but you get one for free).  Most of their skills are unique though, so it adds some variety, plus there's a new map with an optional dragon boss fight at the end.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2015, 02:31:55 AM »
Been playing this a bit since tuesday.

I got Virtuoso in the chest, and had enough materials stickpiled to unlock Avvar (it's going to take ages to goback to the 26 cloth required for Isabella though :/)
Virtuoso is WEIRD, but very fun weird : he has a three-"note" buffer, and then you can cast a spell corresponding to those three notes. With many effects inciting you to play him quite close to the action. He actually seems a tad overpowered currently, though supposedly Isabella is much worse (as in "there are already perilous dragon solo runs with Isabella"-broken).

The Avvar is some kind of Elemental Katari : he shares some skills or some variations on the Katari skills which "charge" elemental effects he can then unleash with a variant of Mighty blow. FUn, but frail, though I'd need to re-eavaluate this at higher level since many skills deeper in his trees do help with this.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2015, 07:34:21 AM »
Yeah, I got the Virtuoso in my chest then immediately unlocked Isabella, and need like 5 cloth to unlock the Avvar, though they all come with very weak armor and their upgrades are super expensive as well so that might take a while.  Played 3 games with the Virtuoso and he is quite good, especially if you like frantic button pressing as you switch chords out in-between attacks.  I'm going to test him out as a defense-oriented buffer with all the barrier skills.  He doesn't get the combo-ender staff attack but his normal attacks seem to come out a little faster.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #412 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Yeah, I got the Virtuoso in my chest then immediately unlocked Isabella, and need like 5 cloth to unlock the Avvar, though they all come with very weak armor and their upgrades are super expensive as well so that might take a while.  Played 3 games with the Virtuoso and he is quite good, especially if you like frantic button pressing as you switch chords out in-between attacks.  I'm going to test him out as a defense-oriented buffer with all the barrier skills.  He doesn't get the combo-ender staff attack but his normal attacks seem to come out a little faster.

The last attack of the staff is actually not worth it : there is a huge pause between attacks 3 and 4, and attack five is quite long, which means it is more efficient to actually cancel (sprint button does it nicely) after third attack and loop on 1-2-3.

Same for 2H-weapons : just cancel first hit and loop it will give much higher dps than going through full combo.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »
These are things I know ;).

The new Ferelden Castle level is both interesting and annoying.  The level design is way more interesting than the other levels, and having a dragon circling the area and shooting at you is cool (the shots appear to hurt enemies too?), but the loot is really hard to find and I assume because the dragon sees you the ENTIRE level aggros on you IMMEDIATELY and all come at you at once.  Gave me a chance to test the Virtuoso's solo capabilities, which lead to a run to the finale with 220 staff kills and multiple 30+ kill streaks (and I was only level 8).  The finale zone where you could fight the dragon if you rang the gong in level 3 looks like it has a lot of cover but it's all destructible so there's very little real cover.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #414 on: May 15, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
Been fighting a bunch of dragons today for the weekend event.  Got 2 blue dragon items which both suck, otherwise pretty underwhelming considering I had to use the Dragon's Call all 6 times since no one else would.  Got a 3rd Longbow of the Griffin and several other duplicate purples.  The dragon fight is much easier when playing as an Elementalist, Necromancer, or any other class that can gain health with kills since it summons several dragonlings multiple times.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
I've been playing a bit, and I'm really enjoying the Fereldan Castle. It's just so much faster paced and frantic than the other levels (played a couple of matches in the old maps and I was a little bored).

I have noticed that since the Dragonslayer DLC, I'm getting frequent disconnections and freezing in game, which is a pain in the ass.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
Got the unique Longsword of the Dragon in the victory chest, sadly it does 25 less DPS than my Fine Tournament Axes but does come with 9% heal on kill, which may make it slightly better for tanking.  I still haven't been able to find any group able to hold their own on Perilous, tried it last night but only made it to Level 2.  Could probably solo it with various classes, but since I just got a PS4 and The Witcher 3 I'm eager to set that up (haven't yet since working 12 hrs each day, but I'm off tomorrow).

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #417 on: May 22, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
Dunno if it's just for this weekend but there are new chests you can buy for 2400 gold that are specific to Mage/Rogue/Warrior types that guarantee certain rarities.  I grabbed two immediately and got at least 2 purples in each, 1 of which (in each) happened to be the Superb Ring of Life Drain which I'd been wanting for a while (and of course I get 2 back-to-back).  Without a weekend event and chests that automatically give Dragon's Calls I don't see a reason to continue playing the Fereldan Castle since you get less money and it's way harder.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #418 on: May 25, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
I on the other hand am quite lucky that I do have a group able to run Perilous castle, and while I have had poor luck with drops (in maybe 15 kills, only two dragon weapons... and twice the bow :|, though I did get the maul from the chest last week-end) it's only a matter of time. Also, I've been running a bit with an old timer here :)

Yesterday was a silly session with friends : we promoted a bunch of charaters, and were plowing through routine to get them all back to 6-8 to take them to threatening. Plowing as in "consistent sub-10 minbute runs with lvl 1-4" chars. It gets a bt silly when you can one-shot almost any enemy.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #419 on: May 25, 2015, 04:15:01 AM »
Depending on the class I'll play on Threatening at level 1 now since 2x Superb Ring of Life-Drain, Superb Amulet of Constitution and Superb Belt of Melee Defense (and the highest value armor for every class) make it fairly easy for any class to survive for a while, and I generally get more experience and money if I get to zone 3 than I do finishing a map on Routine.  Actually hit the "your inventory is full, you cannot purchase anything" cap this weekend so had to get rid of a lot of stuff I'd been holding onto (I keep at least one of every purple I find, even the low level ones).  Right now I'm rank 349 with 15 promotions though I did take a couple months off while I played other stuff and didn't do the weekend challenges.  Haven't used Isabela yet though I have her, Avvar is pretty fun, and Virtuoso is super good in the right hands.  The only problem with the Virtuoso is that everyone expects you to spam more barrier and they tend to get reckless and stupid when aren't doing that exclusively, I usually try to do several different buffs like Mark of the Riff which adds a lot of every element to attacks (50+ x3 at higher levels) while throwing the cold skill that does 3200% weapon damage over time and 1600% AOE to a few enemies in the back while still buffing barrier but people like to split up on purpose.