Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 34084 times)

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
Dragon Age: Inquisition
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
So, Dragon Age: Inquisition has it's first trailer out from E3, and there's been some more information coming out, some of it interesting, some of it disappointing.

Trailer is here. Bioware staff have confirmed that the trailer was produced using Frostbite, so while it doesn't show gameplay, it is the game engine.

Release date is Fall 2014, pushed back a year from what they had initially indicated. Most likely due to a lot of the criticism leveled at DA2.

Morrigan is back, as well as Flemeth (probably), Casssandra and Varric. General milieu of the game seems to follow DA2's plot, with full out war between the mages and the Inquisition

Gaider has confirmed a human protagonist (probably with voice over, so no return to Origins). Funniest comment on the forums so far regarding this: "Hey! There's this great new Bioware RPG coming out that doesn't import characters or have multi-races to choose from! Can you believe it?!  It's really pushing the boundaries of rpgs like no one ever has before!" Allan Schumacher is being totally fucking dense on the objections to this point in the forums.

Selectable backgrounds (a la Mass Effect) will have some limited ability to shape the plot, but will not be playable (unlike Origins).

MP is not confirmed, but is being hinted at (WTF Bioware????)
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »

This was my reaction when they announced it for ME 3, and to this day this is the game I spent most hours on ever after WoW. Not even counting the 30 hours of solo.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

This was my reaction when they announced it for ME 3, and to this day this is the game I spent most hours on ever after WoW. Not even counting the 30 hours of solo.

I know, and I find ME Multiplayer to be a lot of fun. I'm just a little frustrated that DA seems to be moving in the direction of a carbon copy of Mass Effect. And frankly, I don't see it working nearly as well for DA as for ME, given the totally different combat systems.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't see the combat system working well for competitive MP, although with some tweaks it could be fun in a Co-op system like ME3 did.

It does look like they are also completely ignoring anything Darkspawn-related, although that was stated by the director many months ago.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
Gaider confirms multiple playable races!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/17096503/1#17096553

Also environmental destructability! A return to DA:O's tactical gameplay (for PC)! Rideable horses!

I'm starting to get excited.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
A pretty positive review of DA:I so far

As big as Skyrim? Jesus christ, this could become my favorite game ever.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Yikes, I've been playing DA:O nonstop for the last two weeks and I didn't even know about this.

I'm not sure about the comparison to Bethesda worlds since they acknowledge that it is still local areas that you fast travel to rather than a single giant fully explorable environment, but (heresy inc) most of the time I get bored of wandering aimlessly around Bethesda worlds and just run straight to the next nearest encounter point anyway.  So this is virtually the same.  And doesn't require the massive suspension of disbelief that there is a continent you can manually run from one end of to the other in 30 minutes.

Being EA now, I am fully expecting corners to end up being cut and promises broken, but I am currently optimistic :)
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
As one of the target audience (i.e. a Bioware fan who adored DA:O but was mighty disappointed by DA2) I am hopeful and optimistic... but guardedly so. :)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
Gameplay Videos. YOU MUST WATCH THEM! (Don't mind the lady having an actual orgasm while filming it.)

Gameplay 1

Bootleg Type view / Tactical View announcement

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
Mother of god.

The orgasm is totally justified.

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
Yeah looks really good, I think going Frostbite 2 engine was the best thing they could have done, really opened up alot of possibilities in gameplay.

I did notice that the UI was almost ripped entirely off of Skyrim, I think the cave icon looked exactly the same.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 02:10:02 AM »
As one of the target audience (i.e. a Bioware fan who adored DA:O but was mighty disappointed by DA2) I am hopeful and optimistic... but guardedly so. :)

My stance exactly.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
YOU NEVER EVEN PLAYED DA2!!

Those gameplay videos look completely awesome. With the extra year Bioware was given to work on it, it looks like it's going to totally live up to the hype.

Also, it looks like Bioware has solved the issue with saved game imports:

Within the Keep, you?ll be able to customize as much or as little about the world of Thedas as you wish. Then you?ll be able to import your saved world state into DAI at the start of a new game. Have you lost or corrupted your save files? No problem ? remake your world state on the Keep, and preserve it for the future.

With the Keep, you could play Origins on the PC, DA2 on the Xbox, and DA:I on the PC and have the story be continuous. The Keep will also have the ability to retain multiple world states.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
YOU NEVER EVEN PLAYED DA2!!

Yes I did. Don't be silly.

I played it long enough to realize it was shit compared to the first one and quickly lost interest.

If DA3 lives up to the hype, though, I supposed I'll play DA2 to get ready for it.

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Looks really neat.  I'm so glad it is going back towards how DA:O was, I much prefer the tactical play of the old Bioware games over that of things like the Elder Scrolls.

Also good news on the Keep, may mean that I can skip DA:2 entirely.