Author Topic: Recreation of Baldur's Gate in 3D through NWN2 mod  (Read 6240 times)

Beorach

• Earthling
  • Amn
  • An mbeidh pionta beorach agam? Slainte!
Re: Recreation of Baldur's Gate in 3D through NWN2 mod
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »
I really liked NWN for awhile but I tried two characters that didn't work out.  I liked the parry skill the engine allowed for and made a dual-wielding ranger to get the maximum number of attacks (to take advantage of parry).  The skill didn't work (I checked the rolls as I went) so I had to scrap that...  The second character I tried was a druid but the game would crash often once I'd "shapeshift."  I played BG and TotSC enough I don't think I could go back to them...  I also played the BG sequels but was disappointed there was no longer the ability to roam freely the first game had.  I never finished Planescape: Torment so there's always that if the itch returns.  Icewind Dale is another possibility.  Can you play that in this NWN style as well?  Have there been improvements with respect to skills working with the rolls?  I remember getting a new machine to try out a new set of D&D rules in Pool of Radiance.  That went even worse than NWN unfortunately.
A toolbox of uniform processes transportable worldwide as a framework continuously improving to deliver superior products and service by a ready bench.

Battle.net tag: Kungming#1493

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 07:18:42 AM »
Parry works fine. Sort of: There's a game engine limitation/bug, however, so you can never have more than 3 parries in  a round, even if you have more attacks than that. But as far as the dice/mechanics of it, it works.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
IIRC, parry doesn't work properly when you are fighting multiple enemies (you can only parry attacks from a single attacker at a time). And Luch's right, you can only parry 3 attacks per round regardless of how many attacks you have (making the extra attacks from dual-wielding useless). It's an extremely inefficient way to defeat enemies, especially if you're not a dualist. Since Rangers get the dual-wielding feats for free, without having to meet the dexterity requirements, it's much more effective to go strength based, and the fights nearly over after one round, instead of ten rounds spent waiting for your ripostes to wear the enemy down.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
Dammit, now you two are making me want to load up NWN again...
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
Dammit, now you two are making me want to load up NWN again...

I just finished planning out my build (in a very basic, general way, because super detailed level-by-level point-by-point plans bore me).

Druid - Fighter - Stormlord

with monkeygrip. And the dinosaur companion feat.

Yep. That's right. I'll be playing a Spear-and-Shield-using, Lightning-tossing, Tree-hugging Badass Extended-Storm-Avatar Fully-Armored Druid leading around a fucking Raptor to eat my enemies.

These expansions I did not have before ... they are awesome. :D

You should play this.

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
WANT

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
Still $9.99 on GOG for NWN2 Complete!

Melchior

• Kiwi Poker
  • Lum
  • Dead Man's Hand
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Sounds excellent and even a little tempting, but noooo too many games on backlog. Might get it one day. Still have my NWN1 discs here though, hhhmmm
D3
Seasonal

D2 Hardcore 1.10
Guardian Xenyah 91 Pure Blizzard
Guardian Leraje 91 Summoner
Guardian Devereux 82 Zealot
Guardian Solstice 81 Blizzballer
Guardian Melchior 84 Concentrator
Guardian Crash 89 Whirler

Beorach

• Earthling
  • Amn
  • An mbeidh pionta beorach agam? Slainte!
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »
We're going back too many years now for me to recall what information was out there in what patch but I'm certain it was not clear that there was a cap on parries per combat round or whatever (and it's not in the SRD since it was just a game engine add-on for lack of a better term).  The monk was the other option for maxing out the potential number of attacks (it made sense to consider as fair game for parries/ripostes) as I recall.  I appreciate the 411, of course.  It just would have been nice to have from the devs way back when.
A toolbox of uniform processes transportable worldwide as a framework continuously improving to deliver superior products and service by a ready bench.

Battle.net tag: Kungming#1493

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 12:52:55 AM »

Yep. That's right. I'll be playing a Spear-and-Shield-using, Lightning-tossing, Tree-hugging Badass Extended-Storm-Avatar Fully-Armored Druid leading around a fucking Raptor to eat my enemies.

Damn you!

That's NWN2 complete ordered from GoG and an evening spent looking at Dragon Disciple builds.

*edit*

Does the BG mod and NWN2 allow you to adjust the builds of the party members? i.e. can you still dual Imoen from Thief to Mage and do further clever stuff? Just pondering the possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:50:13 AM by Darkness »
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:19 AM »
You're welcome.

As for your question: no idea. But since the base NWN2 gives you full control over the leveling of your companions, I can't see why the BG remake wouldn't as well. Edit: Oh wait. No, it doesn't let you change their class at all, does it? Well, let's go back to my original response: "no idea." :P

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
It occurred to me that perhaps there might be a faq about this mod. There is. It has this to say.

Q: Can I change the classes of my companions?
A: You can ask your companions to change their class by simply speaking with them. An option will be available if the companion is able to change their class
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »
A faq.

How bloody clever of them!

And they even kindly included info relevant to a question  you asked. Probably a question asked frequently, in fact.

Impressed, I am.

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
I did end up buying NWN2... now all I need is time.