Author Topic: Recreation of Baldur's Gate in 3D through NWN2 mod  (Read 6239 times)

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
Recreation of Baldur's Gate in 3D through NWN2 mod
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »
http://kotaku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re-created-all-of-baldurs-gate-in-511489475

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//?

I may need to reinstall NwN2 now and have an actual reason to play! I could never get into it before, mostly cause of camera.
Diablo 3 Profile

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Recreation of Baldur's Gate in 3D through NWN2 mod
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
Wait, what?

Holy balls...

And I was just almost reinstalling NWN2 a couple days ago when I was having my "want to play a spear warrior" urge. This.... complicates things!

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
haha, I'm redownloading it now....

6 part mod download too. Huge!
Diablo 3 Profile

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
I might check it out, but BG was really very much designed with 2nd Ed in mind.  I am skeptical that they would be able to maintain game balance with 3rd (or is NWN2 even 4th?) Ed rules.  Still, be fun just to tool around in that world.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:09:48 PM by Thrugg »
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Well I'm screwed anyway.

I have the base game but don't have the required expansions. :(

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
Awww.

well plat version is on dirt cheap sales often, hopefully get lucky.

edit: wow, steam doesn't sell it anymore? bummer. Though GoG may have a good deal.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:40:58 PM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:01 PM »
I almost picked up the BG2 deal on Gamersgate recently where it was dirt cheap.  Knowing this would have clinched it.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
I might check it out, but BG was really very much designed with 2nd Ed in mind.  I am skeptical that they would be able to maintain game balance with 3rd (or is NWN2 even 4th?) Ed rules.  Still, be fun just to tool around in that world.

NWN2 is 3.5, IIRC.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
I'm impressed by the technical achievement here, but beyond that I'm not really fussed. I like the bitmap graphics of the baldurs gate games and the 2nd edit ruleset. While I am interested to see the game in 3D, I'm less fussed for the 3.5 ruleset.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
All rulesets after 1e suck anyway, so I'm not bothered with which flavor of shit they go with. Though I guess 2e is still slightly less shit than later incarnations.

Also, get off my lawn.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:57:29 AM »
I actually like both 2e and 3e just fine, my only concern is for game balance.  2e allowed you to wade into packs of mobs with a realistic expectation of surviving but you can't do that until you have leveled quite a way up in 3e.  But maybe they have either thinned out the packs in the early areas from the original game, or provided a way to get the first few levels quickly as in the original NWN campaign.

Similarly at the other end of the scale, you never get all that much more powerful in 2e when you get to high levels, just sturdier and able to do things faster.  Whereas in 3e you become a destructive machine by the time you get close to cap.  So again they hopefully either beefed up the endgame opponents considerably, or imposed a fairly tight max level cap.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:01:01 AM by Thrugg »
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
All rulesets after 1e suck anyway, so I'm not bothered with which flavor of shit they go with. Though I guess 2e is still slightly less shit than later incarnations.

Also, get off my lawn.

ALL OF TEH LUVS!
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
All of them?

Every one?

yay!

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
I've given this a few hours, and not got very far.  A lot of the problem is the NWN 2 interface.  I don't recall having so much trouble with it when I played the boxed NWN2 campaign, but it seems like for this there is no camera style or angle that makes it comfortable to play.  I was hoping for something like the NWN overhead but easily rotated camera, but would be fine with a KOTOR style follow camera, or even just a locked in place overhead view as from the original 2D game (would seem like a huge waste of all the 3D rendering they did, but at least I could play).  I haven't been able to work out how to set it to any of those things.  But this may be a Thrugg issue.

As for things that are inherent to this module...

The good:
They really did a great job with the landscape etc.  After I finally wrestle the camera into position, what I can see looks great.
NPCs all as expected and well done.  They used the original voice files and an excellent job of creating 3D versions of the various crazies you meet in the original.  So far no script issues at all (though as I said I didn't get far).
The very fact you can choose from the vast number of NWN2 classes to build your character (and the NPC party members) is extremely enticing and the reason I have stuck with it.

The bad:
There is no fast start, you are out in the world at level 1.  Even as a Fighter type, I was getting my ass handed to me by two (2) Gibberlings just seconds after leaving Candlekeep.  Imoen's level 1 archery is pitiful (especially compared to the original game where bows were OP).  I am scared to try a Mage type, I was reading a thread where a guy started with Wizard (1) and couldn't even kill the 5 rats in the "learn to fight" intro before they killed him.  I eventually worked out how to hold the camera to successfully kite multiple random monsters around while Imoen slowly wears them down with 2 points of damage hitting 15% of the time.

It seems scaled so that you never get very high level.  This is faithful to the original game, but it amplifies the above problem.  I was only 40% of the way to level 2 by the time I first got to the Friendly Arms.  I suspect getting to lvl 2 will help a lot, since you literally are about twice as powerful.

I haven't found any of the easter eggs from the original game (such as the ring in the stump in the first overland zone).  It may be that I needed to invest in Search skill (I didn't) to find them but maybe there just isn't an easy way to implement them in NWN2.  They aren't essential of course but when you are reloading after a death every five minutes you want all the help you can get.

There have been a few crash errors.  Twice CTD loading a new zone, and a couple of times it loaded up the UI but the world was just black.  You'll want to save a lot if you try this.

As has been said a lot, the camera is awful.  Under follow it doesn't turn when you turn (which is straight up incomprehensible); overhead it doesn't scroll out enough to see much more than you and your party so you can't even really see where you're going;  you can hold down X and use the mouse to rotate but it spins like a crazy thing (I can probably adjust the sensitivity but I haven't found it yet) or you can hold down the middle mouse button to turn which is the clunkiest thing I have ever tried to do.  That said I think if I could work out a tolerable setting for camera I could enjoy this a lot more.