Author Topic: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2  (Read 7738 times)

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
Re: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
You might all have played again before i start. You can thank me later

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »
I could write a "I kicked this whole game's ass while only finding one encounter particularly difficult the entire way  on hardcore rules" guide but damned if I remember what classes I was playing.  Combat oriented, I know.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Melchior

• Kiwi Poker
  • Lum
  • Dead Man's Hand
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
No challenge = no fun.
I demand you play an underpowered class!
D3
Seasonal

D2 Hardcore 1.10
Guardian Xenyah 91 Pure Blizzard
Guardian Leraje 91 Summoner
Guardian Devereux 82 Zealot
Guardian Solstice 81 Blizzballer
Guardian Melchior 84 Concentrator
Guardian Crash 89 Whirler

JoshC77

• Ral
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
God I love these two games.....

I would seriously not even worry about what builds are good or bad or optimizing this, that, or the other.  Pick a class that fits your personality, pick a play style that fits your style, and choose whichever alignment appeals to you.  After that, go have fun and enjoy the stories.  You can worry about optimization after your first play through (you WILL play it multiple times...and that is no Jedi mind trick, just a fact). 

The beauty of this series is that you have freedom to make choices....I had a KOTOR 1 character that was completely light-side right up until the very end...very poignant fall.  I have had evil bastards and total paragons....all can be fun in their own way.

One final thing, I have read a lot of great things about the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod for KOTOR 2. KOTOR 2 has a lot of content missing in the final released version as Bioware rushed it out the door.  As such, the factory game feels a bit shallow in places.  The modding community has been able to restore most of the missing content from unused files on the game disk.  I have yet to play through this, but am going to soon as I haven't played KOTOR 2 in about a year; it is time for my yearly dose :)

Edit:  here is the link

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:38:47 AM by JoshC77 »

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
KOTOR 2 has a lot of content missing in the final released version as Obsidian rushed it out the door. 

Fixed.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

JoshC77

• Ral
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
KOTOR 2 has a lot of content missing in the final released version as Obsidian rushed it out the door. 

Fixed.

Oops.......:D

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
I was under the impression they were forced to rush it out of the door by the publisher... they take a lot of flak for this one!

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:31 PM »
So all this damn talk about KotOR has made me want to get the game... Would it be better to buy through Steam or through GOG to guarantee compatibility?
- Guild Wars 2
Erynn Ironheart - lvl21 Norn Guardian
 - Diablo 3
Maryanne - lvl60[8] Monk ♦ Catherine - lvl27 Wizard
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »
Geez, it may be some months before I finally get into this.  It seems starting this thread was like taking the top off an old wound and watching what comes out! (in a nice way)

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
So all this damn talk about KotOR has made me want to get the game... Would it be better to buy through Steam or through GOG to guarantee compatibility?

Whichever's cheaper. It's an XP era game so should work fine on whatever.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
Can't always guarantee that, there are all sorts of weird things that can creep in, maybe not here but others.

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
For the most part, it's true. Besides, both GOG and Steam go a long way in ensuring compatibility.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
KOTOR 1 and 2 had some of the best voice talent in the industry.  Some of these people were pretty busy before them (Ed Asner for example), but you could easily argue everyone else who did these games were catapulted to A-status voice-acting-wise (and sometimes live-action).

Jennifer Hale as Bastila Shan - Has since been FemShep in all 3 Mass Effect games, Samus Aran in Metroid Prime 3, Naomi Hunter in various Metal Gear games, Leah in Diablo 3, etc.
Courtenay Taylor as Juhani - Has since been Jack in Mass Effect 2 and 3, a bunch of characters in Fallout: New Vegas, etc.
Catherine Taber as Mission Vao - Has since been Penelo in Final Fantasy XII, Princess Leia and Padme Amidala in pretty much every Star Wars game and cartoon, etc.
Kevin Michael Anderson as Jolee Bindo - Has since been The Shredder in the newest TMNT series, Cleveland Brown Jr. in The Cleveland Show, Principal Lewis in American Dad, and a bazillion other cartoons
Raphael Sbarge as Carth Onasi - Has since been Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper in Once Upon a Time, Kaidan Alenko in all Mass Effect games, etc.

While looking some of this up I saw a bunch of other connections I never would've made.  Like Kelly Hu who played Visas Marr, was the main girl in Surf Ninjas, and was Lady Deathstrike in X-men 2.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
Jennifer Hale (my favoritest voice actress, btw) had a solid career going long before KOTOR. Just sayin'.

The rest of the crew, yeah. You're probably right. Dunno, never heard of most of them then or now. :lol:

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Also, DAMN STEAM for making this a daily and crushing what little resistance I had left. DAMN THEM!

:lol:

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.