Author Topic: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2  (Read 7619 times)

Melchior

• Kiwi Poker
  • Lum
  • Dead Man's Hand
Re: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »
That is a very generous offer Luch.
Unfortunately, I am on the "wrong" (or right) side of the planet ;) and I'm also on a laptop, so there's that too.

Thanks all the same though :D
D3
Seasonal

D2 Hardcore 1.10
Guardian Xenyah 91 Pure Blizzard
Guardian Leraje 91 Summoner
Guardian Devereux 82 Zealot
Guardian Solstice 81 Blizzballer
Guardian Melchior 84 Concentrator
Guardian Crash 89 Whirler

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
How nice, an unskippable game-crashing bug at a very specific spot in the steam version of KOTOR, every time, no matter which save I use.  Fun times.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
Is it at a cutscene max?  For wacky reasons they are using about 5 different old file types for their movies and almost everybody runs into one that their modern machine doesn't remember how to play.  You may be able to disable them in the options but you certainly can in the .INI file if not.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
Yeah, I would assume it's the cutscene immediately after the Leviathan where the remaining characters talk about the events, just after beating the mandatory turret-shooting game during the escape.  Tried it 3 times and it immediately quit out each time.  The movies themselves run fine, this appears to be triggered upon trying to load the conversation scene.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Figured out a way around it.  I had been dealing with a random constant bug where my main character won't be able to move around except when there is an object to interact with or enemy to fight, and he had been consistently getting stuck after fighting Malak but before walking out the door, so Carth had to be the one that walked out to trigger the escape, but apparently if you have Carth walk out the door, the little cutscene that plays showing your character running to the Ebon Hawk won't show Carth because he gets stuck somewhere, and the game will crash when loading the next scene (walking out the door with your character results in both characters showing up in the cutscene and the game procedes normally). 

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
The stuck character bug is annoying and I encounter that regularly too.  Sometimes a save/reload will fix it, sometimes having an item to interact with will get your character to move to it and give you control back.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »
I had always taken Carth with me into the Sith Academy before to do the side-quest with his son, but I think the extra dialogue options with Canderous and Jolee are MUCH better. 

Sith Recruit: Do you know how many Sith there are on this planet?
Jolee Bindo: Twelve! No, wait! Thirteen!
Canderous Ordo: Nice one, old man!
Jolee Bindo: What can I say? It takes effort to be properly irreverent at my age.

Also, having not played TOR nor read any of the novels, I was reading through the storylines of Revan and the Jedi Exile and concluded that clearly the current team at Bioware has something against the old teams there and at Obsidian, to so thoroughly ruin their work.  What they came up with doesn't come close to living up to the standards the previous teams had built for those characters.  I hadn't looked into it myself until recently, although many of my friends that played TOR said they were pretty disappointed.  I suppose tragedy is one of the common themes of KOTOR characters, so it might as well ironically apply to the quality of the material.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
It is a running joke in the TOR general chat channel what they did to the Revan story.  Part of it is simply how stories need to be stomped to fit into an MMO structure - there simply isn't room for single great heroes when a million people are all doing the exact same thing at once, and the universe must always be able to grow bigger and stronger.  WoW even had to screw up its own lore several times - and that has been managed by the same few people since the start pretty much - because the mighty raid enemy when level 60 is the cap is suddenly soloable in average gear at level 85.

The flip side is they did a pretty amazing job of re-inventing places like Taris and Nar Shadaa, fleshing out the places from KOTOR with modern graphics and hiding little easter eggs all over the place to amuse fans of the earlier games.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
I... I know this is masochistic and I'm just going to end up hurting myself, but would you know where I could read the stories of Revan and the Jedi from KotOR 2? As bad as you make it sound like,  need to know :P

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
I mostly just started at wookieepedia, and if I wanted more material I followed the source links from each character's page.

I want to add that how they handle the Revan/Exile story is not the WORST idea I can think of, it's not exactly terrible, but it doesn't live up to the standard, and the defining characteristics of their characters seem to be ignored entirely in the new material and they are treated more or less like "regular jedi". 

Beorach

• Earthling
  • Amn
  • An mbeidh pionta beorach agam? Slainte!
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
I loved the first KOTOR but had trouble with bugs in the second plus it just didn't feel like the game had changed much at all (and certainly not for the better) so I stopped playing it.  I hadn't realized the story was panned, though.  I'd guess Wiki would fill you in well enough or a Gamefaqs trip?  Here's where I'm going to start:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords
A toolbox of uniform processes transportable worldwide as a framework continuously improving to deliver superior products and service by a ready bench.

Battle.net tag: Kungming#1493

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »
There are some important story elements that need the completion patch to see, but even without that I think the story is still pretty good in 2.  Not as good as KOTOR, but the characterization is still pretty solid, and the dynamic of the relationships between the characters is actually a little better (they seem to have more to say to each other).  If you're thorough a lot of story gaps are filled but a few of the bigger questions like "What made Revan turn to the dark side?" and "Did the Exile ever find Revan?" were never answered until TOR came out, but not in a very satisfying way.  I suppose people should be thankful they referenced Revan and the Exile at all in TOR, but it probably would've been better to leave them out of TOR entirely... or possibly used their story as a focal point of an expansion, which would've been a huge boost for their now-terrible sales.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:17:06 PM by maxbeedo »