Author Topic: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2  (Read 7618 times)

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:12:07 AM »
Also picked up the tomb raider games.  Where should I put these games on the list of games to start?  I see some of you have put 50 hours into some (according to steam)

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
Re: So I finally bought KOTOR 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »
KOTOR is a masterpiece if you can get the hang of the older engine. If you played NWN you'll feel right at home.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
I actually played KotOR first and liked the system so much it got me into NWN and other 4th ed games.

KotOR 1 is definitely better put together than 2, although 2 has more "stuff" and is slightly more modernised.  Should definitely play 1 first (though that is probably obvious).  A first play through is probably around 25-30 hours.  If you haven't played a 4th ed game before then I would recommend one of the character build threads in the Bioware forum just to get you going.
There's no character carry over from 1 to 2, you are necessarily a different person in the second one for story reasons.  Skills are more important in the second one but after a play through 1 you will have the hang of the system and be good to go with 2.

Tomb Raider games aren't really my thing I'm afraid.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
Never touched nvn

Melchior

• Kiwi Poker
  • Lum
  • Dead Man's Hand
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »
I enjoyed Kotor 1 immensely and have the box on my shelf. However I tried to play it on Win7 and it was just...funky. Resolution was difficult to make work, mouse accuracy was off and had weird lag and hangups all the time. I eventually gave up.

Good game though, hopefully the Steam version works nicely. I wish there was better support for adding games you own to steam and being able to download them, but I dont think this game even has a serial.
D3
Seasonal

D2 Hardcore 1.10
Guardian Xenyah 91 Pure Blizzard
Guardian Leraje 91 Summoner
Guardian Devereux 82 Zealot
Guardian Solstice 81 Blizzballer
Guardian Melchior 84 Concentrator
Guardian Crash 89 Whirler

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
KOTOR 1 was awesome. I never could get into KOTOR 2 but most other people seem to love it. No idea how well either one runs on current hardware, though. I'm doubtful they do well unless you bought them from GOG.

The only Tomb Raiders I've played were the last few - Anniversary (which was just a remake of one of the first ones), Legend, and Underworld. Except I played them out of order because that's the order I bought them. :lol: Underworld was quite a lot of fun but had the usual platform-game-bullshit-parts that require you to have two controllers and three arms to succeed. Still, I did like it enough to buy the other two. Can't bring myself to buy older ones  than that, though. The tragically outdated graphics are just too much of a put-off.

Overall, I'd say play KOTOR 1, then 2 (assuming they run playably), then either do the last three TR's in order or just skip straight to Underworld and watch the  "previously on..." intro videos that explain everything that happened in the preceding games. Or  torture yourself and just play the entire TR series. In order. Uninterrupted. :D

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »
I've had no problems running Kotor 1 or 2 on Win 7 x64, either my box copies or the Steam copies i bought because I am too lazy to open my box copies >.>

From memory with the box copy I had to run it in XP compatibility mode but the Steam version worked straight up.  Your resolution choices won't be great for the first one, and no widescreen res so everybody looks a bit fat if you play full screen.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:57:11 AM »
I loved TR:Anniversary.  The only other ones I played were the very first two... which are definitely dated now!

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
KotOR is great, but it' been years since I came back to it, no idea how dated it would feel now. If you're looking for builds and mechanics advice, I would be hard pressed to answer from the top of my head but I'm pretty sure you can find some heated debate  with Lego about dual-wielding versus sabertaff and the mechanics of flurry in the Bioware forum too :)

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
I played through the original KotOR three times.  Once as pure good, once as mostly bad, and once trying to toe the line down the middle.  I don't recall all that much but I do know three things:
1) Force powers ("Willpower" maybe) are very powerful.
2) Go to Korriban last.  You can do the planets in any order, but the story just flows better if you do the Sith homeworld last IMHO.
3) HK-47 is pure awesome. 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »

That should have been #1.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »
Checkling the older posts of the forums, I can't actually find a good post with all informations and no spoilers, so very basic, general tups :

-Don't take more than 8 levels of your first class. You may get enough experience to level beyond, but wait until you unlock the new set of classes. SOme combinations work better with 7/13, but I'd be hard pressed to remember why now. I think consulars had some kind of nice feat level 13, that might be why 7/13 made more sense with them, but meh.
-Consular are much, much more fun as Dark Side characers (mostly because of Kill and Force Lightning).
-For a melee based-character, while soldier might seem like the obvious choice, scoundrel can actually be much better : many Jedi powers disable enemies, opening them for sneak attacks.
-Jedis get some automatic, undocumented finesse feat with lightsabers. Your to-hit chance is automatically the best of dex or str, making purely-dex builsds absolutely viable (and probably better for robed jedis, AC bonus being much more important than the tiny damage).

Ah, I found what our debate with Lego actually was : this heretic wanted to put Armor on Jedis (which severely restricts the use of some powers). Don't listen to him : Jedis are all about diabling enmies before they even get a chance to hit. Not being hit = not needing huge armor, which given it restricts your max dex bonus won't even give yo much more AC. So if despite all common sense you really want to go that way, go for a str-based char. (Maybe soldier sentinel, I don't know, that was Lego's specialty).

Single saber vs saberstaff vs two sabers : For a melee-based character, go with dual-wielding (and associated feats), for a power class, go with single saber (and the dueling feat). Two sabers tend to be vastly superior to saberstaff, the reason being more crystals to put in your sabers, and better crit chance (saberstaff initially only crit on 20, sabers on 19-20, and once buffed you can basically crit with almost 25% chance, + the automatic crits/sneak on diabled enemies). If you really want to play saberstaff a la Darth-maul, go for a Lego build : armored, Str-based build.

Power attack versus flurry : I was a big fan of flurry (at max level, with dual wielding, you basically got to 5 attacks per round, power-attack is hard pressed to top that), single saber power attack becomes more viable though flurry still isn't a bad choice.

Force wave is insanely broken.

If you need more precise ideas about builds, I'll need to quickly re-install the game to re-open my saves, but that's all I could find in 15 minutes browsing the old threads for spoiler-free info.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:25 AM »

That should have been #1.

What else would you expect from a meatbag?
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
I've had no problems running Kotor 1 or 2 on Win 7 x64, either my box copies or the Steam copies i bought because I am too lazy to open my box copies >.>

Thanks to this post and the fact that it's up for community vote right now I suddenly have the urge to play KOTOR 1 again because awesome.

Damn you. Damn you and your wily subliminal ways. Damn you straight to gaming hell.

:evil:

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Perhaps you can write an Armoured Scout/Sentinel guide.