Author Topic: Mass Effect 2 Disk Read error on Steam version...  (Read 3765 times)

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
Mass Effect 2 Disk Read error on Steam version...
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
Recently my son said Mass Effect 2 wouldn't start, so he uninstalled it and reinstalled via Steam, but now it won't start due to "disk read error"

Sorta weird considering it's a digital install.  :rofl:

I've tried uninstalling again, clearing registry, running boot scan anti-virus (which did find some corrupted steam app files, mostly in skyrim and team fortress though....) and tried downloading and installing again.

But still getting disk read error. Any ideas? I've tried starting both from the ME2 start and ME2 launcher.
Diablo 3 Profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Re: Mass Effect 2 Disk Read error on Steam version...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Have you tried setting the compatibility mode on the short cut?  Might help.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
Huh, odd thing is, going through the ME2 folders in the steam app folder, they're all empty.

I never had a problem with ME2 before, never had to tinker with the compatibility or any of that.

I did just check my ME 1 folder and it has all it's files. Another odd thing with Steam, it keeps saying "update paused" on ME2, yet when I click to finish download, it briefly checks it, says 100% done, then goes back to update paused status. Seems the issue is it isn't finishing the download since my folders don't have any files?

Deleted the local content again and trying a fresh download again, I did the last virus scan that found corrupted steam files before reinstalling but after downloading, so figure try it again fresh just in case.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:18:44 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Sorta weird considering it's a digital install.  :rofl:

Yeah, but.... you installed it onto a hard disk, no? :lookaround:

DRE can be a hardware fault.

More often, it's just Steam being stupid. I'd expect a thorough uninstall/reinstall/verify would sort it... but it sounds like you already tried that. Hm.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
yeah, waiting on download now.

Have had a couple of weird issues, most likely from having teenagers use my computer. I'm about to ban them for good.  :lol:
Diablo 3 Profile

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
yeah, waiting on download now.

Have had a couple of weird issues, most likely from having teenagers use my computer. I'm about to ban them for good.  :lol:

My teen hasn't touched my computer since he was in, like, 7th grade or so when I built him his first rig of his own. Sure, it was the cost of another machine (mostly built from my spare parts anyway) but ... the peace of mind of knowing no teenage STUFF was going on with my computer... Cannot put a dollar figure on that. :lol: No viruses, no mysterious software problems, no programs-of-dubious-origins, no hidden pr0n that wasn't my own... :D

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
Hum...well redownloaded the game again.

Going through same thing...."update paused" and the folder in steamapps is empty.

Guess I could try a disk repair program? But still seems kinda weird.
Diablo 3 Profile

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
Ugh...well when I went into the control panel to set up a disk defragment, it came up saying some other program was scheduling that and I'm pretty sure I don't have any that do that. CCleaner is my only cleanup tool for cookies and such, then Avast and Malware Bytes for protection. When I disabled it, the only thing that shows up available to defrag is the recovery, not the actual C drive.

Diablo 3 Profile

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a real DRE, not a Steam issue. However - I'm still not going to say that it is DEFINITELY not a Steam problem!

On the up side, DRE doesn't necessarily mean the disk is bad/dying/whatever. It's often just basically a communication error between HDD and mobo/bios/cpu somewhere. Lemme dig up something possibly useful...

*scampers off*

*cue elevator music from Mass Effect 1*

*insert witty banter between two squadmates present in elevator*

*returns*

This might be useful:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250364-32-solution-disk-read-error-occurred

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
Cool, thanks. Will start looking into tbose options when i finjsh tbis last scan
Diablo 3 Profile

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
Well decided to try a disk scan before going through the whole ghosting process, so used Iobits Advanced System care to defrag (there was quite a bit of fragments too), then do a disk scan and it did find some errors, so let it run the fix.

Am now actually installing ME2, which is a step further than we were getting before.

Guess I really should get around to playing this. I had a character past the tutorial and running around the first city, but someone deleted that file.... :evil: Though I think it was a harder class, one of the biotics. So I may go more standard fare soldier just to have a fairly painless play through. I'm more interested in the story than the combat anyway...I have plenty of games that have more emphasis on combat.
Diablo 3 Profile