Author Topic: ME3 Multiplayer Guide  (Read 2275 times)

maxbeedo

• Lum
ME3 Multiplayer Guide
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
I know most people here won't be interested in the MP, but just in-case anyone is and wants basic info, here you go.  I will add more info if ya'll have questions or when I have time.

Basics: You start with a Katana, Predator, Mantis, Shuriken, and Avenger (the basic weapon of all 5 types), all at level 1, along with a basic mod and usables.  You may also start with Victory packs based on the community's success in Bioware's weekend challenges (if you have any, use those instead, you get an automatic N7 weapon and most of those are great). Your character starts at level 1 and thus will only have 1 pt in the first listed skill when going into your first match.  Your main objective will thus be to STAY ALIVE.  Run away as much as you can and only shoot enemies when you have cover and aren't being flanked.  Stick only to Bronze difficulty until you've unlocked quite a few upgrades and classes.  In order to get those upgrades/classes you will need credits, which you get by completing the objectives during Waves 3, 6 and 10 (out of 11 total).  On bronze difficulty, you will get around 2200-2400 credits from wave 3, 5200-5500 from wave 6, and 6800-7600 from wave 10 (depending on how fast you complete the objective).  There are 4 types of objectives: Devices, where you have to disable 4 devices randomly placed throughout the map, and whoever is disabling them will be helpless for 10 seconds; Eliminate the Targets, pretty much like it sounds; Hacking, where you have to hold a certain position long enough, and Retrieval, where you have to pick up heavy pieces of equipment and bring them back to the extraction zone (and can't run while doing so).  All others waves besides 11 are just simply kill everything, wave 11 is extraction where you just need to be in the labeled extraction zone when the timer runs out.  You can get about 2.5x as many credits on Silver and 5 times as many on Gold, although they are much more difficult obviously.  Once you get a class up to level 20 you can promote them to your SP campaign (+75 to galactic readiness) which resets that class's level to 1 and adds 10 to your N7 ranking (although you keep everything else you've unlocked).  If you have multiple races unlocked for a class, you can swap between them at any time and they'll all be the same level (but totally different gear/skills), i.e. if your Human Adept is level 12, if you make an Asari Adept they will also be level 12 (or Drell Adept, etc.).

There are 4 types of disposable items (default you can carry 2 of each into each game, but there are Rare upgrades to boost this limit to 5):
Medi-Gel: Revive yourself after being knocked out
Cobra Missile Launcher: Automatically kill anything in its radius, even if it's 4x Banshees
Operative Pack: Heal yourself to full health/shields (while you're still up)
Ammo Pack: Automatically set all your ammo to full, including grenades

There are 4 types of Equipment (all of them except the "Gear" are disposable, usable only for one mission):
Ammo Bonus: Give yourself a type of ammo for the whole mission, none of the MP classes have natural access to any ammo types otherwise
Weapon Bonus: Bonus damage to a particular type of gun, to melee damage, or to headshots
Armor Bonus: Faster movement, more shields, power recharge time, weapon accuracy, etc.
Gear Bonus: Permanent, can be used in infinite number of missions, some of them are "packages" that give both a weapon damage boost and power boost for a particular setup (example: Commando package boosts Pistol Damage and Biotic Damage, Operative package boosts Sniper Rifle damage and Tech Damage)

These are the types of item packs you can buy:
Recruit Pack (5000 credits): Recommended for your first 5-10 purchases because a lot of the weapon mods are common (as are the upgrades for all 5 basic weapons), and thus your damage output will jump up faster with these packs than if you saved up for the chance of one good weapon.
Veteran Pack (20000 credits): 1 Guaranteed Uncommon, sometimes a Rare, if you get disposable items you will get 3 of them instead of 1.  There are various Uncommon weapons and classes that are useful, but not necessary.  Recommend a few of these but otherwise save up for better packs.
Equipment Pack (33000 credits): 10 disposable items or gear (guaranteed 5 of each of the 4 disposable items), mainly only useful to get more disposable items as you cannot get classes or weapons this way
Spectre Pack (60000 credits): 1 Guaranteed Rare, decent chance of also getting 1-2 uncommons, very small chance of ultra-rare, if you get disposable items you get 5 instead of 1, out of the 4 rarities "Rare" has the most items in it so at some point you need to start getting as many of these as you can, although in most cases you're better off saving up for the last pack
Premium Spectre Pack (99000): 2 Guaranteed Rares, small chance of ultra-rare, large chance of 1-2 uncommons, the best pack to buy for quickly getting the best stuff, although you have to play 6-7 complete matches on Bronze to save up for this pack

Notes about races (you start with only Humans, there is 1 uncommon race for each class and 3 Rare races for each class, about to be 4 with the next DLC):
Human - Can roll to get out of trouble, 500 shields/barrier, 500 health
Asari - Can "Biotic Dash" out of trouble although it hurts their barrier, heavy melee attack is an AOE blast, 500 barrier (600 for the Asari Justicar), 500 health, both Asari Adepts are amazing classes, Asari Vanguard not so much, Biotic Sphere can either automatically Warp all enemies that enter it or grant up to 40% damage reduction to your allies inside it (or a little of both)
Krogan - Can't roll or dodge, heavy melee is a headbutt charge, getting 3 melee kills can activate a rage, 1000 shields/barrier, 750 health (1000 for the Sentinel), most have damage reduction skills like Fortification or Barrier so they're by far the most resilient solo class unsurprisingly
Salarian - Can hop out of trouble, 600 shields, 500 health, both Salarian classes are powerful, Energy Drain does good damage, heals your shields AND can give you damage reduction
Quarian - Can hop out of trouble, 600 shields, 500 health, good against Geth, Sentry Turret is like having an extra person covering the field, Arc Grenade has the widest area of effect of any grenade (and stuns most enemies), Tactical Scan can reveal all enemies through walls
Drell - Can "ninja cartwheel" out of trouble and move much faster, only 250 barrier, 500 health so they are mostly hit-and-run, although Reave helps here by giving them up to 40% damage reduction
Geth - Can "Geth Hop" out of trouble, heavy melee attack is an AOE energy field that does consistent damage but drains shields while it's going, 750 shields, 250 health, the Geth Turret is amazing in that it acts like a generator, healing the shields of all allies nearby every few seconds, Hunter Mode increases movement/damage/accuracy but halves shields
Batarian - Can't roll or dodge, move faster than most classes (except Drell), heavy melee attack is a charge up superpunch that does the most damage of any heavy melee (but is very slow) 750 shields/barrier, 750 health, Blade Armor does damage to enemies than melee you but the damage reduction isn't as good as other armor skills, Ballistic Blades is basically a powerful wide-arc shotgun on a cooldown (powerful enough to stagger Atlases), Submission Net is basically a Stasis that isn't instant but can't be "resisted" with multiple uses
Vorcha - Fastest melee attackers, heavy melee is a charge forward and decapitation swipe, 250 shields/barrier, 750 health, get massive regeneration after each kill with Bloodlust, Flamer is basically just a constant flamethrower on a cool down
Project Phoenix Human - Basically you play as the bad guy from Iron Man 2, wields 2 energy whips, same stats as other humans otherwise, Smash is the most powerful spammable Biotic skill and can go through walls (but it's startup is vulnerable), Lash basically yanks an enemy to you from long range but the physics-based damage is usually low
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Re: ME3 Multiplayer Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
At work...reading...will have questions.

1.  How much time do I need to set aside to play?
----The one time I tried I immediately had to leave because my son was acting up. 
2.  It sounds like you recommend playing MP and then switching to SP.  After that does the character play in both?  I never really did get the interaction between SP & MP.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
Your characters won't transfer from SP to MP or vice versa, but characters in MP that reach level 20 that you promote will add 75 to your base Galactic Readiness Rating for all characters in SP (thus making it easier to get the better endings without having to scan planets and such).

With a good team, it's possible to clear all 11 waves in about 15 minutes, but the average is about 20, 25 for silver difficulty, 30 for gold.  You do not receive any money or experience until the mission if finished, however, so if you quit early or get disconnected you get nothing.

I'm going to be trying to unlock all of the new human classes they just released today with the new DLC because they all look awesome and get brand-new abilities (not to mention cool names: Destroyer Soldier, Paladin Sentinel, Demolisher Engineer, Slayer Vanguard, Shadow Infiltrator, and Fury Adept).  I saved up a little money and unlocked the Paladin Sentinel, which plays exactly like an Engineer since it has Incinerate and Energy Drain, but the new skill is Snap-Freeze which is basically like a Cryo-Blast-Wave (short range but hits everything in front of you) that actually does damage along with the usual chill effects of slowing/freezing/reducing armor, and he also gets THE SHADOW BROKER'S SHIELD, although I'm not sure how to use it effectively yet.  The Shadow Infiltrator's Shadow Strike skill might be similar to Kasumi's ability from ME2. 
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »
I'm completely addicted to the multiplayer. I spent much more time on the MP than the SP and only recently finished the game because whenever I started it I'd end up doing multiplayer. Heck, It might be part of the reason why I didn't get into DIablo III at all. If some of you want to play on PC, feel free to add me on Origin (ID is, unsurprisingly, MadGodji).

I play mostly silver, but would be glad to play some gold or even try platinium (gold with randoms I'm starting to get a bit tired of, it's hard to get past Wave 6 without any vaguely concerted effort).

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
I rarely get to play Gold matches if only because the only people seriously playing it now are newer players who can't handle it or the usual elitist jerks who kick you as soon as you join if they don't like your class (even though you could easily switch to something else).  Most of the classes I've played lately aren't that good for Gold difficulty anyway, your build has to be very specific against a specific enemy for it to work with random people (engineers against Geth, etc.).  Last weekend when they did the Firebase London event I had to stop using my Project Phoenix Adept because the map is so big and open and Smash is such a short range skill.  My defaults for when I don't know what I'm getting into are the Batarian Soldier, Asari Justicar Adept, and N7 Paladin Sentinel (various Infiltrators would work but I hate playing as them).

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »
Silver, I'll play just about anything. Gold, the classes I'm comfortable with are Salarian Engineer (lacks firepower, but controlling whole waves with Decoy feels great), Geth engineer which I often take if there is someone who can detonate overloads since mine is built for overload CC/Geth Plasma Shotgun, Asari adept, occasionally Asari Justiciar if there is someone else in the team to detonate Reaves, N7 destroyer for raw firepower.

I mean to try seeing what a Krogan Vanguard with a falcon can do too. Falcon has abysmal damage, but it's AoE stun could complement nicely some charge and meleeing. I still feel he'll be helpless in some configurations though (Banshee).

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
I've promoted 3 Geth Engineers, but even with maxed health and a maxed shield-regen turret they seem to die quicker on Silver/Gold than other classes, unless the rest of the team tanks for him (using his turret as a buff).  I haven't been able to unlock the Krogan Vanguard yet, and for N7s I only have the Fury and Paladin so far.  I love grenades, so the N7 Demolisher would be right up my alley if I could get it (that or finally get Gear mods that upgrade grenade storage, I seriously have every other one except those).  I imagine any map where you have to "Hack the Terminal" with an N7 Demolisher (spam grenades+ammo regen), Asari Justicar Adept (Biotic Sphere-damage reduction), Geth Engineer (Geth Turret-shield regen), and anything else (maybe another grenade spammer, or N7 Paladin for a shield tank, or a class with a through-walls power), could handle those waves even on Platinum.

Despite my luck in getting the character classes, I do have all 4 N7 weapons (Eagle I, Crusader I, Hurricane II, Valiant III).  The Valiant has been amazing in most matches, although eventually I got tired of only having a 3-shot clip every match and started using my Indra II, although only when playing on Bronze/Silver.  I can't seem to find any Assault Rifles I like now, even the Saber has a lot of drawbacks, although I imagine a Cerberus Harrier X would be about the best overall (I only have it at II).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:55:30 PM by maxbeedo »

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
So, just started playing MP, and loving it. The posts in this thread were very helpful getting started.

Anyone else still playing this, or everyone moved on?
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
ME3 has multiplayer?

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
So, just started playing MP, and loving it. The posts in this thread were very helpful getting started.

Anyone else still playing this, or everyone moved on?

Not as often as I used to, but still playing it a bit, the last multiplayer DLC rekindled my interest. Playing on PC, Origin account is MadGodji

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Friend request sent (ArmedBlackf1ar).  :)
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"