Author Topic: Dragon Age Questions  (Read 12741 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age Questions
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:16 AM »
What.  The.  Fuck.   

I'm so pissed off at this game right now I'm debating on even finishing it.  So right after the Landsmeet and prior to the last battle, Morrigan pulls some bullshit and I lose her as a party member for good.  And I've literally spent the entire game building my team around her as the main (only) real offensive weapon.

Ooh. Yeah, never build a party around one person in a Bioware game. They give you lots of companions with the unstated expectation that you will create several effective teams. Bioware is good for pulling party members out from under you to test your adaptability.

Besides, Morrigan is a self-serving evil bitch. You had to see it coming. :P

(You should've just boffed her. For the greater good! :lol: )

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
She was at 100 and "in love" with the player character.  I looked it up, there's no way to keep her without basically going full-evil and making a baby just to infect it with a demon.  No thanks. 

I'll finish it.  Just pissed because it feels cheap and unfair to the player.  I guess I'll take Sten with the us to go kill the arch-demon.   

In hind-sight, I would recommend any new player to play as an offensive-oriented mage.  It gives you the most options for the game and (as some of you said) it has to be the strongest build anyway.  Your party is basically built of
- 1 healer mage
- 1 offensive mage
- 2 rogues (one ranged, one dagger)
- 4 melee/tanks (with slight variations)

You can see the redundancy there and which of those above you really can't afford to lose. 

EDIT:

Well, yeah.  Did that.  On accident, actually.  I was aiming for Liliana(sp?) the whole time and had her up to 100 but could never get her to move from "Friendly" to "love."  I guess I said something wrong at some point and couldn't close the deal.  So like real life.  But I found some gifts I thought Morrigan would like and the next thing you know she invites me into her tent. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:43:53 AM by Butch »
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:59 AM »
Wynne can be built to be sufficiently offensive.

I've rarely used Morrigan, even when playing rogues or warriors. Can't stand her. Ugh.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:32 AM »
EDIT:

Well, yeah.  Did that.  On accident, actually.  I was aiming for Liliana(sp?) the whole time and had her up to 100 but could never get her to move from "Friendly" to "love."  I guess I said something wrong at some point and couldn't close the deal.  So like real life.  But I found some gifts I thought Morrigan would like and the next thing you know she invites me into her tent.

I meant at the end. The god-baby scenario. ;)

Bummer you failed to get Leli. She's the best.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Romancing Leliana requires certain dialogue triggers (that are slightly different depending on if you are male or female), otherwise she never gets the idea you're interested.  It's slightly easier if you do her personal quest and convince her to be more like she used to be, then she'll directly proposition you. 
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Romancing Leliana requires certain dialogue triggers (that are slightly different depending on if you are male or female), otherwise she never gets the idea you're interested.  It's slightly easier if you do her personal quest and convince her to be more like she used to be, then she'll directly proposition you.

Well that must be where I messed up.  I thought she was so nice and was happier having found peace with the Chantry so I steered her that way.  I, of all people, wrecked my chances with a girl by steering her TO CHURCH!  Damnit to hell. 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »
Leli likes shoes. And shoe shopping. And talking about shoes.

In DA:I, there's a scenario where some soldiers are suffering from low morale and whatnot, and her solution is to send them all new boots. Because everyone loves new footwear.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
Hell, I gave her every pair of shoes I could fine or buy in Fereldon.  That's another bit of advice I'd give new players: Buy/pick up every "gift" item you come across.  Your party members get bonuses if they really like you and giving them the appropriate gifts is the easiest way to boost that up.  It was that mirror that got the player character into Morrigan's sheets.
  - Martin Luther

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
I remember that moment also.  Morrigan left my group also but it didn't bother me.  I think I might have also lost Sten.

My character ended up with Leli.  So all was good. 

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »
The dialogue to trigger her romance isn't specific to her personal quest, you can initiate it with her still being super pro-chantry, it's just that she won't try to seduce you.  Since you already seduced Morrigan, though, it's probably best you didn't, as everyone in DA:O except Zevran (and even him sometimes) is very territorial and knows when you are trying to have multiple romances, and some of those conversations are brutal.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
Some of those conversations hurt.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
In DA2 Hawke hits on everyone.  The character didn't get into trouble.  I even remember when Hawke went out into the woods with Zevran all the other characters just shaking their heads.  It was pretty loltastic. 

I wonder if they did that change (between DA:O and DA2) on purpose.

Granted with only one play through in each game it might have just been a quirk of how I played DA2.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
No, you're right, and I think it has something to do with your character in DA:O being the leader of a force meant to save the world, so your party is already emotionally invested in you, but with Hawke, most of the party members are acquaintances at best and only group up to take out thugs or get stuff done (in each new chapter where several years pass it's like they never saw each other, or never saw Hawke anyway).

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
I've been trying to slay the Arch-Demon for a couple of hours now.  Not because it's that difficult or takes that long in-game, but because the game keeps crashing in the middle of the fight.  It's crashed four times now at various points in the fight.  The closest I've gotten is taking him down to about 25% health. 

Is this a common problem?  Anything I can do or not do to maybe finish this thing out?
  - Martin Luther

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2015, 06:00:28 AM »
Whoot!  Dragon is dead!  Or the arch-demon or whatever.  Finally beat him with my human noble sword/shield warrior (in the full Juggernaut set), Allister, Sten, and Wynne.  In the end, the PC made the sacrifice, Allister made a good king, and everyone lived happily ever after. 

Thanks for the help everyone.
  - Martin Luther