Author Topic: Dragon Age Questions  (Read 12742 times)

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
Re: Dragon Age Questions
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
They increase the number and level of the various faction armies for the final battle. It's also a fairly easy source of xp. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but the Dragon Age Wiki has more info (without spoilers).
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2015, 05:50:31 PM »
In general, no, not worth it, though I usually donate most of the gems and novice/journeyman level runes anyway because they aren't worth a ton of money.  Sometimes I'll donate the dozens and dozens of deathroots as well if I'm not using any poisons.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2015, 04:54:20 AM »
I've completely run out of things to do before starting the Landsmeet.  I've read somewhere that once you start that, it begins the endgame so I've been putting it off.  But there's nothing else to do.  I've even made the loop around the map a half a dozen times hoping for random ambush fights.  I need to level up at least once more to be able to wear some kickass dragonscale armor I had made.  Hopefully the endgame will get me up there before it's over.
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
Nice progress you've been making :D

I'm late to the party I suppose, but for gold, you will notice that some merchants occasionally have very expensive items (80 to 100 gold) which are often best items in their slot indeed. Lifegiver is one, Belt of Anduil was one too, and if I'm not completely mistaken while you get good swords/shieds/bows from quests, the best daggers are to be bought too.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »
You have already finished the dwarves, elven, mage, and ashes quest?  You read and play faster than I do.

Sounds like you are enjoying it which is gg!

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:17 AM »
After beginning the Landsmeet part of the game I've finally gotten to the first real gut-check moment.  One of those in-game things that really make you feel bad for a character.  I was sneaking through the palace and popped in on a guard getting a BJ from a maid and ruined the whole thing for him.  Felt like a real jerk for that.  So I reloaded a save from just prior to that quest and decided to just go in with guns blazing so to speak.  Much more fun. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:56:47 AM by Butch »
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2015, 06:00:35 AM »
I'm glad I followed y'all's (is that the correct way to spell that made-up word?) advice on playing the origin for each player character type.  It's really influenced my decisions on this "real" playthrough.  For instance, when I got to the Dwarf part of the main quest, I immediately sided with Lord Harrowmont because I knew Behan was a back-stabbing little bitch.  Didn't even investigate my options.  Likewise, during the Rescue the Queen part of the Landsmeet quest, when I found that noble's son locked up in the dungeon, I knew I could free him for his father's support later, but after seeing what he did in the city elf's origin, I took his key and left his ass to rot in that cell.  Just couldn't free him knowing what a POS he is. 
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Amusingly, if memory serves, Behan turns out to be the correct choice based on post-game stuff. :P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »
I also sided with lord Harrrowmont.  The other guy is just a tool. 

I don't think I ran into that BJ moment.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
Amusingly, if memory serves, Behan turns out to be the correct choice based on post-game stuff. :P

Since we never go back there in any further Dragon Age material though, it doesn't really make much of an impact either way (we don't really know if Bhelen is that good of a king or Harrowmont that bad of one, the "progressive=good & traditional=bad" message seems rather forced).  Plus Bhelen continues to be a douche and hunts down every member of Harrowmont's family for years to come.

And yeah Butch, I never rescue that particular dude, and you don't need his vote anyway.

And it's "ya'lls". ;)
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
And it's "ya'lls". ;)

That doesn't make any sense.

Since y'all is the "correct" contraction/spelling for "you all" Butch would have had it right with "y'all's" (well, as right as a made-up tongue-in-cheek bad grammar word can be).

People who spell y'all as ya'll are just doing it wrong. :P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:48 AM »
I tried both dwarf rulers on different playthroughs, and while I would have liked this subtlety to be more present during the game and less a footnote at the ending, I really like how Harrowmont, despite being a "better" person, isn't necessarily a great king, while Bhelen, for whom the end justifies any means, is also the one who is ready to attack the "bad" sides of dwarf culture. Becaus as "nice" as he may seem, Harrowmont has no issues with the caste system or the suicidal reclusion and isolationism of the dwarves.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »
I tried both dwarf rulers on different playthroughs, and while I would have liked this subtlety to be more present during the game and less a footnote at the ending, I really like how Harrowmont, despite being a "better" person, isn't necessarily a great king, while Bhelen, for whom the end justifies any means, is also the one who is ready to attack the "bad" sides of dwarf culture. Becaus as "nice" as he may seem, Harrowmont has no issues with the caste system or the suicidal reclusion and isolationism of the dwarves.

Which has inspired me to name my new fictional band: "Grey Like Real Life."
  - Martin Luther

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:54 AM »
What.  The.  Fuck.   

I'm so pissed off at this game right now I'm debating on even finishing it.  So right after the Landsmeet and prior to the last battle, Morrigan pulls some bullshit and I lose her as a party member for good.  And I've literally spent the entire game building my team around her as the main (only) real offensive weapon. 
  - Martin Luther

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 06:02:54 AM »
Well then...why did you piss her off? :p

I kid of course.  That is pretty annoying.

I think you have to go down a pretty dark path to keep her happy.  That is, if you have her as a main player.  I never used her as I was a mage and I was the main offensive force in the party.  I also had Winn in my party a lot to do all the healing buffs.

It is a pretty epic end so I would say stick with it.  Or revert to an older save and see if you can figure out how to keep her.  Her character screen should show you how negatively she is feeling.