Author Topic: Dragon Age Questions  (Read 12886 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age Questions
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2014, 07:04:45 AM »
Yeah, the dwarf noble origin is pretty widely favored.

The city elf one feels really amateurish/hamfisted and awkwardly written to me.

I love the dalish elf one primarily for one brief moment in the end that always makes my heart flop upside down.

Yeah, that's the main one that I thought was over the top emo.  That and the Dwarf Casteless. 

I don't recall any particular thing at the end of the Dalish Elf story....what did I miss?

At the end of the dalish origin, as the PC is leaving with Duncan and walking up the hill away from the assembled clan, there's a moment (at least with female PCs, may be different with males) where she looks back at the clan and there's just this expression on her face and the setting/mood is perfect and it all comes together to create this sudden sense of loss and separation and loneliness and it just kills me.

Yeah, ok, I'm weird. But sometimes the stories are just right for me to get invested in the characters. :P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
The ending to the Dalish Elf origin is mentioned a decent amount in DA2 if you import that save, Merrill (who gets completed RetConned) brings your character up several times.  As good as Merrill was in DA2, I think I liked her look and personality in DA:O better.

And Butch, you only get 4 party members at a time, so if you go 2 warriors you'll only get 1 rogue and 1 mage, which is fine. 
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Good grief there's a lot of ... stuff in the game.  It's exhausting trying to make sure you take to all the people you should and do all the stuff you should.  I think I spent over an hour just in Lothering talking to people and I'm not even done yet. 

I meet up with a rogue priest chick and she wanted to join up so I had to let one party member go.  I dropped my dog just to test it out, but I don't want to be without him forever.  I can get him back, right?
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
Good grief there's a lot of ... stuff in the game.  It's exhausting trying to make sure you take to all the people you should and do all the stuff you should.  I think I spent over an hour just in Lothering talking to people and I'm not even done yet. 

I meet up with a rogue priest chick and she wanted to join up so I had to let one party member go.  I dropped my dog just to test it out, but I don't want to be without him forever.  I can get him back, right?

Once you get past Lothering you'll have access to a "Campsite" area where you can freely swap out your party members any time you want between missions. Including Dog (though honestly I never took him along as I found him pretty useless compared to a "regular" party member).

Tip: when you are in the campsite, take the time to always talk to each of your companions, too.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
Mod for an extra companion slot for dog, so you don't have to leave him behind.

A bit cheating, but oh well. Dog does really well against mages (Overwhelm FTW!), and finds you things, and pees on stuff. What's not to like?
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
Okay, After hanging out in Lothering a bit I've figured out the central conflict in this game.  It's not about good guys vs the Darkspawn.  It's about figuring out which party members to take along.  I love the banter between Alister and Moragan(sp?), but this new giant dude we busted out of the cage looks like a better tank than Alister...

Mod for an extra companion slot for dog, so you don't have to leave him behind.

A bit cheating, but oh well. Dog does really well against mages (Overwhelm FTW!), and finds you things, and pees on stuff. What's not to like?

I might check that out.  I've never modded a game before, but I really want the dog along just out of loyalty.  I mean, he even looks like my own dog!
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 06:37:37 AM »
There's also a mod on Nexus to make the dog stop barking so much when you're in camp. Because GODDAMN. That dog never stops, and it overpowers conversations you're trying to have, too. The mod was made by me. So it's automatically double awesome... because all my mods are awesome. :lol:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/130/?

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Modding DA:O (at least, installing mods) is pretty painless - I used the Nexus Mod Manager, and it was very straightforward.

Also, the sex mod is hilarious.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
Modding DA:O (at least, installing mods) is pretty painless - I used the Nexus Mod Manager, and it was very straightforward.

Also, the sex mod is hilarious.

It may be hilarious, but at the time it was a technical achievement. ;) Nobody else had any idea how to edit cutscenes, and everything I did was pure trial-and-error with incredibly rudimentary tools.

I haven't paid any attention to DAO modding in a couple years now so I'm sure others have surpassed what I was able to accomplish at the time, and/or have better tools for manipulating the camera and animations. Dunno.

I started it as a challenge mostly and then started releasing bits of it (some stuff never got past my own computer :P ) by popular demand.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
I meant hilarious in a good way. And I'm pretty sure it's still one of the top mods on DA Nexus.  :D
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2014, 02:39:30 AM »
Dog as a companion is a one-trick pony : he's a mage killer. You an set tactics so he goes straight on mages with overwhelm, and he'll take care of them nicely. He can do the same kind of thing with archers with a bit less efficiency. Still quite useful early on, but his limited skillset makes him fall behind companions.

As for using Sten instead of Alistair, this can work if you want to go for a warrior too in a much more offensive setup. No real tank, but Sten and you splitting the aggro and able to take a few hits. Not necessarily the easiest thing to start with as some fights will be tricky, but for the few boss fights where you struggle you can always bring Alistair back in*. To be clear though, Alistair will be way, way sturdier later than Sten will ever be (plus if you want Sten to be able to kill things, you'll have to stay away from the heaviest class of armors which take too much of a toll on your stamina, while tanks can do with more passives and less skills, so are less reliant on stamina).

*All companions get experience, even if you don't bring them with you. I know some people like to stick with the same companions, personally I actually switched around a lot.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2014, 05:38:10 AM »
Ahhh.  That's good advice.  I'm trying to build my human warrior into a sword and shield tank.  If I can make him/me tough enough to do that well, then it seems to me the ideal set up for most of the game might be me (tank), with a rogue for chests/etc, a healer mage (the old woman I just picked up at the Broken Circle seems a good fit), and a DPS mage (not sure if Morighan fits that bill or if another might come along at some point).
  - Martin Luther

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2014, 06:08:07 AM »
Ahhh.  That's good advice.  I'm trying to build my human warrior into a sword and shield tank.  If I can make him/me tough enough to do that well, then it seems to me the ideal set up for most of the game might be me (tank), with a rogue for chests/etc, a healer mage (the old woman I just picked up at the Broken Circle seems a good fit), and a DPS mage (not sure if Morighan fits that bill or if another might come along at some point).

Morrigan and Wynne are the two mage companions you can recruit, and two mages/a rogue/a tank is indeed the "easiest" setup. If you are a tanky warrior yourself, going with a rogue (Leliana from Lothering makes a good archer, you'll meet later another who is more the classic dagger rogue type), and a mage is pretty standard, fourth spot is where you hav more leeway and can go with whatever you want. I'd say going with the two mages is probably the most powerful combination, but that's a good spot to rotate Sten, Dog or another warrior you will meet later if you want too. If you are a sword and shield warrior, it does make Alistair a bit redundant though.

To be fair, while Wynne has a specialization dedicated to healing, I found that just having heal, the heal over time spell and stasis field was most often all the healing I needed (stasis field is great to temporarily remove an enemy from the fight, but is also a great last resort spell to cast on your own party to save your puny mage grabbed too much aggro and is being pummeled). So even Morrigan can be enough for healing, though of course having two mages opens a lot of other doors and fun combinations (for example, focusing more on healing, buffs and direct damage with Wynne, and more on control, entropy debuffs and damage from another elemental type with Morrigan).

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
After finishing the Broken Circle part of the main quest I had to go back and do the end boss fight again.  I beat him easily enough the first time, but I didn't know how to properly use the scroll thing and all the magi died.  Couldn't have that, so I looked it up online and went and did it again, this time making sure the boss mage lived. 

Also, I sure wish I would have known about the limited amount of loot you could carry and that I'd not be able to sell anything once I went inside.  I filled up after the first two chests and had to destroy a lot of stuff to pick up the better stuff.
  - Martin Luther

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
Drops and chests don't disappear if you don't pick them up, and you can go back later to pick up everything in most areas.  The only places you can't go back to are encounters you have while traveling (except for the merchant who is repeatable), and Lothering which was already mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:18:50 PM by maxbeedo »
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night