Author Topic: Dragon Age Questions  (Read 12692 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age Questions
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
Then I sort of regretted giving her that nice bow.

:rofl:

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
The most important question: did you at least get to boff the elf handmaid (or whatever she is) before the castle got overrun? (assuming you're playing a male)

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »
The most important question: did you at least get to boff the elf handmaid (or whatever she is) before the castle got overrun? (assuming you're playing a male)

Damnit, no.  I picked up the signals but she was dead before I got around to following up on that. 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
If you want the full experience, try out all 6 before continuing through Ostagar and the rest of the game. 

I kind of wish I had done this.  I guess I still can.  Up to this point I have not played a dwarf.

The coolest thing about the two dwarves backgrounds is that your perspective on Bhelen and Harrowmont are completely different between them.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Crashace

• Ral
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 08:30:19 PM »
The one other thing I would add is that not having a rogue in your party to unlock chests gets really frustrating, as there are no keys and the other classes cannot lock pick.  So keep that in mind as you're building your parties later.

I will echo the suggestion of playing all 6 origins out before continuing.  There are pieces from each of those origins that pop up later in the game, and having that back story will make the game world feel much more fleshed out.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »
I now remember why I find starting new games so frustrating.  It's hard to pick skills and start a build when you have no idea what high-end skills are best or worthless.  Or if it's best to focus all points on a small section or tree, or scatter them around. 

Anyone have any build advice?  On the advice of those here I'm making six characters.  So far I have two:
- Male human warrior - Thinking of sword and shield...not sure...
- Elf Mage - I put a point in lightning, but I'm not sure that's the way I want to go.  Godji said something about "Blood Magic" being overpowered but I don't see how to do that.

Upcoming:
- City Elf Rogue
- Dalish Elf (Rogue?)
- Noble Dwarf Warrior
- Castless Dwarf (Rogue?)
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
I now remember why I find starting new games so frustrating.  It's hard to pick skills and start a build when you have no idea what high-end skills are best or worthless.  Or if it's best to focus all points on a small section or tree, or scatter them around. 

Anyone have any build advice?  On the advice of those here I'm making six characters.  So far I have two:
- Male human warrior - Thinking of sword and shield...not sure...
- Elf Mage - I put a point in lightning, but I'm not sure that's the way I want to go.  Godji said something about "Blood Magic" being overpowered but I don't see how to do that.

Upcoming:
- City Elf Rogue
- Dalish Elf (Rogue?)
- Noble Dwarf Warrior
- Castless Dwarf (Rogue?)

Blood magic is a thing you can learn later. For a price.

I haven't played in WAY too long to offer any build advice. Hopefully someone closer to the game can chime in soon. :)

I wouldn't sweat it too much right at the beginning though. Especially since it seems unlikely (to me) that you are going to play all 6 characters to completion...

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
For ALL characters, max out skill points in Coercion, which is basically your Persuade option in dialogue.  Requires 12 cunning for the 2nd pt, 14 for the 3rd and 16 for the 4th.  It is always useful.  Always max out Combat Training for Warriors and Rogues as each point unlocks 2nd/3rd/4th tier talents.  Only one character needs to max out Herbalism, one character for Poison-Making, and Trap-making is generally useless.  Any extra points can go into Survival or Combat Tactics.  Having one character max out stealing can be fun but it's usually better if it's on you for certain quest options.

Honestly, for all warrior and rogues, it doesn't matter too much what talents you pick because you'll pick up the whole tree by the end (just keep in mind the stat requirements for them).  You'll reach level 20-23 by the end and can buy several extra talent points, and each tree like the Sword/Shield tree have 12 talents to buy, so you'll easily get all of them and have points left over for the general tree at the top.

For mages it's a little trickier because they have a lot more options.  I've never had the courage to do something wacky like no fire/ice/lightning spells and do all glyphs or curses or whatever.  Cone of Cold is the most broken spell in the game in that it freezes everything, including bosses, despite immunity, so it's up to you if you want to go that route (if it'll keep you playing when you would quit otherwise, go ahead).  At least on consoles, the big AoE spells Blizzard/Tempest/Inferno could be targeted outside of my visual range through several walls, which made them pretty broken too.

Blood Magic is a specialization.  Specializations are unlocked through various story options, some with party members, and others can be bought in stores.  Once unlocked they are available to all characters you make of that class, there are 4 for each class.  You get a specialization point at level 7 and another at 14.  Blood Magic (and Reaver) require evil options in the game though, so if you don't feel like being evil you can unlock the specialization then reload a save and do it again the good way.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
Dalish Elf - Mage

Mages are the bomb in DA:O.  I personally stayed away from Blood Magic.  But that was more out of role playing.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
Human noble - warrior done.
Elf mage - done.
Dwarf noble warrior done.

Up next the City Elf and Dalish Elf then the Dwarf Castless.
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 07:43:17 AM »
City elf is uncomfortable.

Dalish elf is the best.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
City Elf is great for role playing.  Gives you certain motivations.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 05:12:26 AM »
Done.  Playing the origin bit for each of the 6 types was a great idea.  Thanks all for suggesting it.  I enjoyed them but the writing and storylines sometimes seemed like they were written by a high schooler.  I think I enjoyed the Dwarf noble the best. 

But I'm going to play through the game with the human noble warrior.  Just seems the best fit.  Since I have all the DLC, I'll get up to five party members eventually, right?  Given the advice here seems like I'll take another tank to go along with my own warrior, then a rogue for locks and such, and two magi, one of which will be a healer and the other will be my DPS.  Time to officially join the Grey Wardens!
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 05:46:07 AM »
Yeah, the dwarf noble origin is pretty widely favored.

The city elf one feels really amateurish/hamfisted and awkwardly written to me.

I love the dalish elf one primarily for one brief moment in the end that always makes my heart flop upside down.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »
Yeah, the dwarf noble origin is pretty widely favored.

The city elf one feels really amateurish/hamfisted and awkwardly written to me.

I love the dalish elf one primarily for one brief moment in the end that always makes my heart flop upside down.

Yeah, that's the main one that I thought was over the top emo.  That and the Dwarf Casteless. 

I don't recall any particular thing at the end of the Dalish Elf story....what did I miss?
  - Martin Luther