Author Topic: Dragon Age Questions  (Read 12145 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age Questions
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »
Oh wait. I may have misunderstood what max was saying above. I read his post as suggesting that you yourself actually kill the smith (during the attack, ferinstance) rather than bringing him bad news and causing him to kill himself.

Either way he ends up dead though.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:56 AM »
So I can kill him.  Or give him bad news.  And in both cases get the bow?

Do I have to lie and give him the news early or just after the mission is done?

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »
Pretty sure you have to finish the mission and then go and ruin his life. But I could be wrong. I haven't played in like 2 years. :lol:

Allen Stenhaus

• Ral
    • My Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 01:18:49 AM »
Mages Tower the worst? I thought it was second worst. Orzammar and the constantly running around doing fetch-quests and the like drove me batty. Of course, I also hate BS politics, so that may have played a role.

As for whether or not to pick up Awakenings... you won't be missing much, and what little you will be missing gets pretty clearly explained in DA2 anyhow. DA2 is not as good as Dragon Age, but it's still a lot of fun. Check out my review:

Dragon Age 2 Review

Basically, Dragon Age 2 doesn't give you nearly as much role-playing flexibility as the first. It's still fun, but it's more "mainstream."
If you are bored, check out my YouTube channel, Stenhaus Entertainment. www.youtube.com/StenhausEntertainmnt

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
Just started a replay of this, and then I'm going to play all the DLCs. I had forgotten that I had Luch's sex mod installed when I started playing. Dicks everywhere!
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
If there's dicks everywhere, you're doing it wrong. :P

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
Downloading Dragon Age: Origins now.  Any tips before I start?  Anything I should read up on or just fire it up and go?  I assume it's an open world RPG like Morrowind?  Any hints on classes or builds?  I tend to prefer melee with a small touch of magic.  Think Nords in The Elder Scrolls, Barbarians in Diablo, etc. 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
If I remember correctly after Lothering you will have a couple of areas to tackle.  Some of those areas are tougher than others so it kinda helps to do it in order.  Or you can just wing it and see what happens.  Let us know if you want to know a recommended order.

Also be careful about leaving Lothering.  Once you do you can't go back and it is possible to leave NPC allies behind and not have them available for the rest of the game.  I had to start over the first time I did this.

As for class.  You will have four characters in our party.  So it is easy to switch to other characters for the game play aspect of things.  Personally in DA:O I played a mage.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »
Just fire it up and go.

When you get past the whole first section and get to the town of Lothering: do not leave until you have done every possible thing you can find to do and talked to every person.

It's not open world. It's not completely on rails, but it's definitely on a highway-to-somewhere. You can freely move about to some degree but nothing like you're used to from Morrowind or Fallout 3.

There are 3 classes - warrior, rogue, mage. They are as archetypal as it gets. Based on what I've seen you play in the past - go with a 2-handed-weapon warrior. You can later branch into a "specialization" class (like Templar or Reaver) and pick up some faux-magic abilities (no real magic, but still some power-y things). There are no real warriors-with-magic options. You can do a melee-based mage but it takes some lengthy investment as a pea-shooter before you get to that point.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Downloading Dragon Age: Origins now.  Any tips before I start?  Anything I should read up on or just fire it up and go?  I assume it's an open world RPG like Morrowind?  Any hints on classes or builds?  I tend to prefer melee with a small touch of magic.  Think Nords in The Elder Scrolls, Barbarians in Diablo, etc.

It's actually pretty different from Morrowind, it's more a party based game in a more closed environment, think KotOR.

As for tips, in the beginning it is easier to rely on the classic party structures : a tank, a healer/supporter, and damage dealers. Now, the game offers enough companions to cover all of those posts, so choose what you want.

As for classes, there are three main classes (warrior, rogus, and mages) and each comes with four specializations. Not all are available from the get go and must be accessed by finding some specific items or choosing some specific plot paths (though once unlocked, it stays unlocked for all your characters on all your saves).

Warriors can be either the traditional tank, though one of the very first character you meet in game covers that base perfectly. You can go for slow, two-handed (not my recommendation) or dual-wielding warrior (not as efficient as rogue, but much more durable and able to take some hits)

Melee rogues are quite frail but can dish crazy amout of damage, archers still do reasonable damage and are great at picking up dangerous enemies casting spells from the back.

Mages... mages in Dragon Age are extremely powerful. If you want to make the game much easier, go with two mages in your party (with a rogue and a warior). They get some powerful damage spells, even getting the basic first level healing spell drastically increases your survivability, and the Blood Magic specialization gives them access to spells so powerful they verge on broken with a virtually infinite mana pool.

There aren't really warriors with a touch of magic in Dragon Age, you'll see playing that mages have a very specific place in the lore of Thedas (the Dragon AGe world). One of the warrior specialization clearly has powers with vaguely mystical background, but that seems quite far from your meaning. There also is a mage specialization which makes them able to wear armor and use weapons, but they're more mages with armors and a sword than the other way around, they'll still be mostly casting spells.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »
What class and race you pick determines your Origin story, of which there are 6, and they are all unique:

Human Warrior/Rogue = Human Noble
Human/Elf Mage = Mage Circle
Elf Warrior/Rogue = Dalish Elf OR City Elf
Dwarven Warrior/Rogue = Dwarven Noble OR Dwarven Casteless

I've played all 6, and I like all of them.  They take about 1-2 hours to complete before joining the "main story" sections that start at Ostagar that are more or less the same for every character besides a few minor details.  If you want the full experience, try out all 6 before continuing through Ostagar and the rest of the game.  They will give you a ton of insight into what the Dwarves and Elves are like in this game vs. traditional Tolkien fantasy, the Mage storyline plays a lot into DA2 and DA:I, and the Human Noble storyline gives a lot of interesting endgame options.  You could also play through all of them on casual difficulty just to get a feel for the world before "doing it for real" and playing on normal or harder ;).

Companion-wise, if you have the DLCs, you have 5 warriors, 2 rogues and 2 mages to choose from.  That, combined with the fact that the warriors in your party generally have the best AI and do pretty well on their own, I usually recommend playing as a Rogue or Mage (Warriors are much more fun in DA2 and DA:I), since you will generally want to have at least one of each at all times. 

The game has some open areas but is not open world.  Some zones are large enough that running in a straight line would take you 5+ minutes to get across (compared to 20+ minutes for DA:I that everyone is playing now), but they are generally straight forward and nearly always have clear paths.  You will rarely feel lost geographically.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
Good points all.

If you want the full experience, try out all 6 before continuing through Ostagar and the rest of the game. 

I kind of wish I had done this.  I guess I still can.  Up to this point I have not played a dwarf.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
Thanks all.  I guess I did the first castle "right."  No way to know for sure.  I am playing as a human noble warrior and left the castle with my bigassed dog and my mom.  And the Grey Warden guy.  Hope that's all I needed. 

So you're saying it would be smart to start a new game for each of the other classes and play though to this part, huh?  That seems a bit boring from what I've seen so far.  Of course the combat is confusing but I seem to always have a long learning curve for new games. 
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
Thanks all.  I guess I did the first castle "right."  No way to know for sure.  I am playing as a human noble warrior and left the castle with my bigassed dog and my mom.  And the Grey Warden guy.  Hope that's all I needed. 

Unless they changed the game since I played, you left yer mum to die. :P

So you're saying it would be smart to start a new game for each of the other classes and play though to this part, huh?

There are 6 completely different beginnings, as maxbeebo outlined. Only human rogues share the human warrior background you've experienced.  And yes, I agree it's worth doing. If nothing else, you get a quick overview of dwarves, dalish elves, city elves, mages, templars, and circles and thus a fast primer on many of the key elements of the entire series.

So basically - play the beginning section with a noble dwarf (warrior or rogue), casteless dwarf (warrior or rogue), a city elf (rogue or warrior), dalish elf (rogue or warrior), and mage (human or elf). It'll take you a small bit of time but worth it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:18:53 PM by Pixelated »

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
Wait, yeah, that's right.  I tried to talk her into going with me but she wouldn't.  Then I sort of regretted giving her that nice bow. 

- Martin Luther