Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 = Medieval Mass Effect  (Read 13754 times)

maxbeedo

• Lum
Re: Dragon Age 2 = Medieval Mass Effect
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
Created a new male character, very surprised and somewhat impressed by the difference in how your family looks based on how you design your character.  I made a very burly, imposing dude (since he was going to be aggressive) with a big beard, and that actually improved Carver's and Gamlen's looks, and somehow made Bethany more "cute" (instead of classicly beautiful as she was in my first playthrough to match my female character).

Apparently I'm going to have to try very hard to piss my companions off.  All I've done is be anti-mage to the extreme, and it has yet to give me any rivalry points with Merrill or Anders yet.  Being an asshole seems to please Aveline, even when Hawke blatantly murders or extorts someone in front of her, or at least it pleases her enough to offset the penalty, so she's hovering around the middle right now, as is Varric, who likes getting paid for stuff just as much as my Hawke.  Being super anti-mage has already pushed Fenris to 100% friendship by 75% the way through Act 1 though.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
I'm guessing it's almost impossible to get some of these achievements in one playthrough, as in order to get someone to full rivalry I need to piss them off in pretty much every way, but that usually includes not doing some of their side quests, which happen to have some of the ingredients needed for crafting.  Oh well, I took care of a bunch in the 2nd playthrough anyway.

Lost Isabela at the end of Act 2 because I didn't have enough space in my party to get everyone else to 100% friendship or rivalry AND get her above 50% of either to keep her around.  Oh well, wasn't using her anyway.  Fenris at 100% friendship, Merrill and Varric at 100% rivalry, Anders and Aveline at around 70% rivalry right now at the beginning of act 3.

Had an annoying (but somewhat funny) glitch during a quest where you're supposed to find elven blood mages.  There's already a mercenary group there, and they offer to split the money with you if you take them out, but when the battle starts I hit the button to start attacking and instead initiated a conversation with the mercenary as if we had already won, he gave me my half of the bounty and left, meaning it was now just my 4 party members against 8 spamming uber mages (instead of having 12+ NPCs helping).  It didn't go well. 

DA1's "health/damage" numbers were pretty consistent, most enemies had about the same amount of health as you and did about the same amount of damage.  In DA2, most enemies have about 50x as much health as you, sometimes more than that.  The average health of my party is about 250, and most encounters include 5-10 enemies with 20000+ health, even random archers in the back.  Luckily most enemies groups don't have 2 mages with healing waves such that their guys pretty much stay at full health like my party (but that requires sacrificing most of my offense).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
I've always felt this was bad game design.  The enemies should conform to the same rules as the players in an RPG, not just have stats inflated ludicrously because it's the only way the devs can think to make it more challenging.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Having finished the game twice now, with one achievement left to get, I feel like talking about the game some more... so here are a few more good and bad points of it "as a game":

Things Dragon Age 2 did well:
1. Skill Trees - Even with the combat being "less complicated" supposedly than DA1, the branching skill trees actually branch, instead of being a bunch of straight lines like in DA1.  Yes, there are less overall skills/spells, but the customization was not hurt by this I think.  There were some trees I ignored entirely in both playthroughs, but I could easily say the same for DA1 mages (and Rogues/Warriors got enough points to max out their main tree anyway so there's no "customization" there).  Choosing skills/spells in DA2 is actually somewhat difficult.
2. Interface - The character and inventory screens are much easier to deal with as well as being much prettier.  If you're going to have an RPG focused on gorgeous characters, that game should have its menus show off that character's glorious portrait like DA2 does.  The journal/codexes are also easier to manage, although some of that is due to having less info to display in general.
3. Balanced view of religion - As someone that comes from a religious family but isn't personally very much so, I loved how they portray the majority of believers as genuinely good people (with a few overzealous or manipulative assholes who ruin everything for everyone), especially Grand Cleric Elthina and Sebastian.  Sebastian in particular is written very well and seems to have a thoughtful comeback for every cynical comment one of the party members has about his faith, and apparently he is so genuine that he even convinces brooding Fenris to pray at the Chantry, and gains apathetic/promiscuous Isabela's respect for "leading by example" and never trying to just preach to her.  Sister Patrice was also an excellent "I'm being polite while plotting to stab you in the back" kind of villain, and has a lot in common with Seymour from FFX.

Things Dragon Age 2 did NOT do well:
1. Reuse of Assets - This has been mentioned frequently as a problem with the game, and it is a problem when it comes to dungeons.  Reusing the assets of the city and "not exploring" is not that big of a deal, considering it is the same city after all, it should look the same for the most part.  The story is very much like DS9 compared to other Star Treks, with it focused on characterization and relationships instead of exploration, so it never bothered me to have the story set in one city.  The problem lies in that they use the same cave maps, mansion maps, etc., for EVERY cave or mansion in the game, no matter where they are, they just change the start and end points and where the items are.  This can't really be called anything but lazy.
2. World Inconsistency - DA2 breaks a lot of the fiction DA1 established in so many different ways.  Lyrium is fatal to mages just by being near it?  Mage Hawke can pick up a purely-lyrium idol like it's nothing.  All mages must be locked up?  Every templar in the game ignores you if you're playing a mage and rain hellfire down around them, you even become a noble, the champion, and basically rule the entire city AS A MAGE, but they lock your sister up when given the chance.  They also ignore a lot of the decisions listed in the story-elements when importing your DA1 save, making me wonder why they even listed it if they weren't going to use them (I guess to throw you off).  The entire feel of the game is of one where they weren't satisfied with the rules they had created and decided to retcon a lot of it (most notably in how elves and qunari look), even though DA1 has possibly the DEEPEST backstory of any game this generation.

Story Elements that need to be in DA3:
1. The "Forgotten One" hinted at in the hidden codex entries "The Band of Three" (which you get an achievement for finding), which follow a group of templars as they try to investigate why Kirkwall has such a disproportionately higher amount of blood mages, evil tomes, etc., why the city is laid out in a maze like it is, and why so many slaves were sacrificed in the days of the Tevinter Imperium.
2. Corypheus from the Legacy DLC (which I haven't played but I have watched), from fairly obvious reasons given the ending.
3. The Architect from DA1:Awakening, assuming you didn't kill him.  He was never fully explained but would fit in great with #2.  Basically DA3 needs to involve the Warden/Darkspawn stuff a lot more since DA2 ignored it. 
4. The 2nd invasion of the Qunari, "promised" by the Arishok.  Granted this might make the game into one big clusterf*** with the Templar/Mage war AND darkspawn AND Qunari but it would be AWESOME.
5. Looking forward to the possibility of my Dalish Grey Warden finding out that her clan has been wiped out by The Champion (it was an accident, I promise!).
6. Isabela + Zevran + Tallis + Hardened Leliana + Hardened Alistair + new main character + Grey Warden and/or Champion = (6-8)-some?  LOL, I wouldn't put it past them.
7. Notes from Arl Foreshadow - The reference to Orlais will come true in DA3 for sure since it will be based there, but there are also references to Arlathan (the ancient home of the elves), and the creation of new spirits in the fade.  Bioware isn't required to follow the hints they left in DA1 but it would be damn cool if they did.
8. More about the history between Humans and Elves, since it is shown at least twice in DA1 that they used to get along just fine and lived in the same space, despite all other written and oral history saying otherwise.  A major discovery here would essentially blow the minds of everyone in Thedas.