Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 = Medieval Mass Effect  (Read 13753 times)

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
Dragon Age 2 = Medieval Mass Effect
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »
Five facts about the main character "Hawke" in DA2

*headdesk*

Don't get me wrong, I like ME and am enjoying ME2. But I found the DA storyline far more compelling than either, and that's without Voice over. I've fully replayed DA a half dozen times, compared with twice for ME1. It's a major step backwards for the DA franchise.

I was secretly hoping that DA2 would open up the world of multiplayer, like with NWN. There really aren't any decently moddable multiplayer RP games out there, with updated graphics. Guess not.  :-(
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age 2 = Medieval Mass Effect
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
*sigh*

Voice acting: Killing CRPG's one game at a time.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
Imposed race/name sucks.

Seriously, I can already see rolling the army of Hudson Hawkes and Tony Hawkes.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
On the forums the best name so far has been Mass Age: Mike Hawke.  :lol:
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
I'd buy that game and follow instructions.
- Guild Wars 2
Erynn Ironheart - lvl21 Norn Guardian
 - Diablo 3
Maryanne - lvl60[8] Monk ♦ Catherine - lvl27 Wizard
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
Pretty sure its a direction change in favor of consoles due to combats controls complaining from DA:O

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
Pretty sure its a direction change in favor of consoles due to combats controls complaining from DA:O

In part, but more generally, it's matter of ME sales >> DA sales, so let's make DA like ME

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »

In part, but more generally, it's matter of ME sales >> DA sales, so let's make DA like ME

Not sure why they didn't just do it from the start everyone knows piracy killed PC gaming sales out side of MMO's

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Not sure why they didn't just do it from the start everyone knows piracy killed PC gaming sales out side of MMO's

DA was released on both consoles as well as PC, not sure what you mean here.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »
Don't worry - Corpsie isn't sure what he means there either. His butt got hold of his keyboard and just started talking.

:P

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
Hmmm, let's see....  Dragon Age... KOTOR... NWN... hell, even Chrono Trigger... you obviously don't need your main character to have a voice or even speak at all for the game to be good (or be some of the best games ever).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »

DA was released on both consoles as well as PC, not sure what you mean here.

What I meant was the way the combat system was designed in DA:O, it was more "PC friendly", allowing isometric etc.

Now they're changing the combat system to better suit console, im guessing they get more sales on a console over a pc due to piracy.

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 05:17:09 AM »
Actually, combat on console was already a bit different from PC.

It was dumbed down (no friendly fire from mage spells until very last difficulty setting, precisely no isometric view, that was a PC only feature, console was always over the shoulder camera) but I see your point.

That said, they have claimed that actually, console and PC combats will be very different, so on the contrary, they are bothering making extra development so each platform has its own strengths.

Which does feel really weird since it does go against the general console dumbing-down they are going for on other aspects of the game.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »
The "new" art style of DA2

Not that I thought there was anything wrong with the style of DA one. Especially when compared to some of the new hi-res screenshots.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
*sigh* Looks like they took quite a step backward. Very cartoony and uninteresting. :(