Author Topic: Old Republic  (Read 12242 times)

Jazz

• Mad Scientist
  • Um
Old Republic
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »
So Butch posted the trailer on FB- it's pure win.  However, until knowing about monthly fees, I can't commit to any MMORPGs- and I'm not convinced there will be the action of the trailer in the actual game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5wJ3yrVy4&feature=related
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jazz-1209/career

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
Re: Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
However, until knowing about monthly fees, I can't commit to any MMORPGs

Same.  I pretty much love anything Star Wars related and this looks great, but I typically don't really care for multiplayer games, and monthly fees don't thrill me either.  But I'll be watching.

Butch
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
I have friends that play MMORPGs that are planning to switch over to this when it comes out, and I miiiiiiiiiiiight join them, so at least I'd have people I know when jumping into my first MMO that actually has graphics.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
A little surprised nobody here is really talking about this at all as it nears launch.

Just thought I'd give a heads up that Curse.com is giving away an arbitrarily large number of Beta keys.  No idea if those are actually difficult to come by, but I figured I'd try it out.  You do have to give some personal info to both Curse.com and EA.com.
Curse is a giant MMO support website for those unfamiliar.

http://www.curse.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic/42982-star-wars-the-old-republic-beta-keys-at-curse  if you are interested.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I was excited about it for a while.

Then I learned that it's just WoW with lightsabers.

:lookaround:

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
I agree, except I would phrase it more as "OMG ITZ WOW WITH LITESABERS"
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
Signed up.

Guess I will be notified when it starts.

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:32 PM »
Already pre-ordered. Will definitely put some months into it at the very least.
- Guild Wars 2
Erynn Ironheart - lvl21 Norn Guardian
 - Diablo 3
Maryanne - lvl60[8] Monk ♦ Catherine - lvl27 Wizard
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
The reviews I've been hearing are that the Jedi starting areas are boring as sh**, but the non-Jedi classes are reasonably well-done.  But yeah, that the whole thing is basically WoW isn't a surprise, but it definitely turned off a lot of the reviewers that had already played WoW for years (and had quit it multiple times).
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
The WoW likeness is actually something that attracts me even more towards the game. Also the fact I know quite a few people in real life that will be playing the game plus many online friends, definitely gonna give it an honest try.
- Guild Wars 2
Erynn Ironheart - lvl21 Norn Guardian
 - Diablo 3
Maryanne - lvl60[8] Monk ♦ Catherine - lvl27 Wizard
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:28 AM »
To be precise, it's 2005 WoW with lightsaber. It's nowhere near the level of polish WoW has today.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Downloading the client.  I will be trying out the game this weekend.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 04:43:08 AM »
I got in for Friday, dunno what server I'll try. Not that it matters too much, I don't really plan to buy it, but I'd like to at least try it.

Diablo 3 Profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
yeah...that is how I am feeling about it also.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Well got in, made a couple of characters on Cosmic Turbine, mostly to reserve names. Ran around a bit on a Jedi Consular on another server cause I couldn't get back onto cosmic turbine without a long wait  :lol:

dunno, not blown away. Granted I had to turn down graphics a bit to keep it from chugging too badly, especially with the 5 million other players running around.

Would probably be better once it calms down, but unfortunately, everyone is low level so everyone is concentrated. At least there are two starter areas per character type, my Trooper started in a completely different area and I saw tons of smugglers in the same area, so seems like its Jedis one place, troopers/smugglers other place.

But look and feel wise, it's not something I think I'd be willing to shell the money out for. Then again, I'm pretty much a single player type who happens to play some MMOS...if I like the gameplay and stories. but I avoid crowds as much as possible  :razz: :lol:

And there's the real test of worthiness, which is, after the first month of included play, will it keep momentum. There was a ton of hype for Rift and it's already pretty much a has-been as far as I can tell. I'd probably only buy this if it still had traction after a couple of months.

Course by then we'll have Diablo 3...I hope.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:42:15 PM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile