Author Topic: Old Republic  (Read 12085 times)

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
Re: Old Republic
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
Yea graphics are alright...and I have to turn them down low anyway because I have an onboard memory card. I'll need to get a video card eventually. Though given the graphics of Guild Wars AND the lower requirements, there's not much excuse for that. GW proved you could have outstanding graphics with reasonable requirements.

I totally get the learning curve on controls. Having played WoW and Lord of the Rings Online(once it went F2P), it was easier to jump into this one. But both of those games also have much better tutorial areas. The first level or two are pretty much solely dedicated to teaching you how to interact with the world.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:53:46 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Sorry you didn't enjoy it man.  I do think they are assuming that a huge percentage of their playerbase will have to pried away from WoW and that making that transition easy will help with the prying.  But if they are missing something to grab new players the right way that will be a problem for them too.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
Well even vets of MMOs could be overwhelmed at the very start. I mean, I was totally off-put by the Trooper start. Get dropped off a shuttle and basically in the middle of a war. With the massive amount of players running around, it was hard to figure out what I even needed to do to start with. Most MMOs start you out a bit more gently.

I mean, usually the area has non-hostile critters that you have to attack to piss off, making it easier to figure out combat without running into the middle of a combat zone where stuff is shooting at you right at the start. Plus most MMOs don't have groups of foes to start out with. Not that it's a huge problem, most classes seem to have an AOE attack to start with and most of those tend to include a knockdown or knockback. but it's a trial by fire way to learn.

Anyone new to MMOs completely, it's a bit overwhelming. They should start with more of a tutorial that you could skip if you wanted to, especially by the second or third character. The Jedi area seemed to deal with this a bit better, enemies were more spread out and less chaotic. It would make more sense if the Trooper started more as a new recruit than an assumed seasoned fighter. Even if you are only doing the tail end of a training program, at very least have that before being dropped into a combat scenario.

I didn't have much issue starting a Bounty hunter or smuggler, mostly because I had adjusted to the game. I can see the appeal of being able to dig right in but there needs to be a bit of an intro for those new to this style of game, and this particular game even if you have experience with MMOs.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:24:48 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Well more I think about it, more I know we're not buying it. Just don't have room for it in our lives atm. Hubby and I learned with WoW that those types of games can become too all consuming and I've a rather addictive personality. I can play LOTRO casually cause I've already put the money into it to be able to play it truly free by unlocking all the content.

If SW:TOR was running the same model as Guild Wars/GW2, I'd be more apt to buy it. I'm willing to pay for the game outright. but monthly fees tend to equal soul sucking time investment. Time we can't afford when our priorities are to get and stay healthy. I've almost lost all the 80 pounds I put on with WoW (not just WoW's fault, but those late night raids fueled by chips, dip and beer didn't help...). And I wish more games would go the GW route. There's money to be made with micro transactions. Even WoW proves that people spend money on the extras. People are willing to pay money for cosmetics, character slots, special mounts, extra storage,  stuff that doesn't interfere with in-game quality of play. Especially now as more games are going to the F2p or Ala Carte model.

And I know my personality. Heck I still go in spurts where I play LOTRO too much. But it's easier to catch and back off of, when I'm not paying monthly to play. Something about paying monthly makes it seem like a waste if I'm not getting enough time in it.

And as fun as the game is now, the real question is, does it have staying power. And how interesting does it stay. And how much time do you really want to spend in cut scenes after so many weeks/months of playing. Will what seems like a neat idea now become a deterrent later on for even hardcore RPr's? Or once you finish the story does it only become about grinding rep/dailies/gear, etc.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:23:26 PM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 05:20:49 AM »
Ohhhh, can I steal your beta access Sssssssssith??? :P
- Guild Wars 2
Erynn Ironheart - lvl21 Norn Guardian
 - Diablo 3
Maryanne - lvl60[8] Monk ♦ Catherine - lvl27 Wizard
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
It's over now I'm afraid Terror.  This was the final weekend of public Beta.  It launches on the 20th if all goes well.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »
Ahh I see. So, as a fellow long time WoW player, would you recommend the game Thrugg?
- Guild Wars 2
 - Diablo 3
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
I'd be playing for sure if I hadn't sworn off MMOs for ever.  It is very WoW-like, but feels like KotOR when you are soloing.  For me that is pretty sweet.

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
So, been playing the game for a week now and I must say... Holy crap this is so good!! I'm really loving the story driven gameplay. It adds a lot to the RPG aspect of the game. If they can keep their subscriber base up and pump out a few expansions that improve the game I can see this going for quite a few years.
- Guild Wars 2
 - Diablo 3
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
You done any multiplayer stuff yet Terror?  I didn't get to it in the beta, but was curious.

ShatteredFriend

• Thul
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Flashpoints are fun and PvP is amazingly fun.
stuff

Terrorphile

• Mojito
  • Hel
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
I've only done the first instance, The Black Talon. It's sort of a learning instance; as in no need for a tank, healer, DPSs combo. Fun as heck. And yes PvP is actually a ton of fun. Weird since on WoW I never really got into PvP...
- Guild Wars 2
 - Diablo 3
 - Torchlight 2
Bolwyn - lvl53 Berzerker
 - Borderlands 2
Gaige - lvl7 Mechromacer

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Just ordered from amazon should arrive on wednesday, which server is everyone on?

I had to import it because it isn't releasing locally in Australia until around March, however they appear to be bringing actual local Australian servers which is farking fantastic.

ShatteredFriend

• Thul
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
I'm playing on The Twin Spears with some friends of mine. East coast PvP server.
stuff

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
So I ordered this from Amazon last Wednesday it gave me an expected delivery of the 4th, I was watching the tracking process on the Amazon website and as of Friday it had gone from some place in the sticks of the US and arrived all the way to "out laying courier in NSW for final delivery. I though awesome will get here by Tuesday the 3rd. Except now I go onto the site and the tracking process has been whipped and it just says it got sent from an entirely different location in the US with no other information.

Does Amazon usually do this?