Author Topic: Old Republic  (Read 12540 times)

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
Re: Old Republic
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
Now that I'm past the "I have no idea what I'm doing" stage and into the "I sorta know what I'm doing" stage, it's getting better. I do like how the story is handled, and even though there's a lot of people, I'm not having to wait for quest respawns, questing is pretty seemless so far.

Playing a good goody lawful good-type Jedi Consular atm,  as the blind race, forget the name lol,...pretty fun hurling rocks at people and making them float in the air.  :lol:

One thing I find interesting is the light/dark thing. I was under impression if you go dark enough, you end up switching sides. But you don't, it'll effect gear you can use and probably npc interaction, I'm not sure how else it might change things.

But the way it stands, you could play a dark side Jedi or a light side Sith...depending on what choices you make with quests. Not sure how easy it is to move up and down the spectrum, assuming once you go so far one way, it'll be harder and take longer to move another direction.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:18:58 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
I hate how the game controls.  Made my character tried running around and it was just awkward.  Not sure that I am going to bother figuring it out.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
I wish I could find a click to move control. I hate standing there with my saber just out of reach, having to close the distance manually can be a pain, I'd rather be able to click on them and go into melee distance if I click on a melee skill...

the other annoying thing is it's hard to make any real progress when I log out and then can't get back into the server I was on..I know it's a stress test and it's really full all around, but I got in fine this morning. Let my son have it on a different server,  while I went to the store and now I'm in an 800+ line to get back onto the server I was on.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:24:53 PM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
I would imagine that you are not bound to the same server each time.  That would be crazy and unnecessary if that were the case.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
Actually, I'd find it hard to believe that your character is NOT bound to a particular server.  I believe most MMO's work this way.

I have a rl friend who has this game pre-ordered.  I'm trying to decide if I can put up with the mmo player base bs..., so I am following this thread with interest.

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
Right, any character you make on a given server is bound to that server. You can play on any server you want, but just have to start new characters.

I did get back on finally to my Jedi Consular. Still pretty fun. I just got to Corusant which is where most of the lag would be since it looks like a major hub for players. Not too bad on lag, but I do have my settings down.

But nice to finally be off the newbie planet and have my first companion.

I do like the amount of solo instances you get, especially on the class quest line. That gives a lot more immersion instead of having 50 other players running around doing the same quest.
Diablo 3 Profile

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
Did my first force persuade, that was pretty awesome. Had the dialog option a couple of times earlier but decided to play it straight. But this time it was a big scary looking criminal so I waved my hand and "You don't want to fight, you want to turn yourself in", and off he went.

Fun!
Diablo 3 Profile

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
I've been having a pretty good time with it, with Spike channel rolling all 6 movies over and over all weekend as my background.  It is extremely WoW-like, I'm sure I don't need to observe that for you guys that have played both.  Like even the same shortcut buttons for most things, same colours for rarity, hearths, flight paths, chat channel full of imbecilesetc. 

I had a bit of a queue for my first server at mid-afternoon yesterday so I just rolled some Horde... I mean Empire characters on another one.  Ended up with a level 17ish Imperial Agent that I felt I had the hang of.

I found it pretty smooth, some obvious bugs but no crippling lag or connection dropping.  Agree with Jeds that the regular use of instanced areas for crucial story parts is a great idea.

My wife officially objects to the fact that you can choose a big fat dude body type, but the largest female body type is still (as she incorrectly insisted) "still skinnier than me!"  That said, it's a nice touch that you can vary that at all.
I was a tiny bit disappointed with the races offered, really just the most human-looking ones, nothing as cool as a Tauren or Worgen.  But I can imagine how much work those are for the graphics team and there is always future expansions for Wookies and whatever Yoda is I guess :)
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
I hate controlling where the character looks with the arrow/awsd.  Is that how WoW works? 

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:02:58 AM »
Yup.  Movement controls are all exactly as in WoW.  What do you prefer?  You can probably customise it to some extent.

Have you tried moving with the mouse?  If you hold both mouse buttons down you will run in whichever direction you are pointing, alternatively you can hold W/forwards down and use the right mouse button to steer, which lets you switch to the left button to look around without changing your direction.  It is easier to do that to explain in words :)  And after the initial "getting used to it" it is actually easier to play that way.  Long time WoW players are always telling new players "omg move with the mouse".

The flip side to that is having to use hotkeys for your other skills because your mouse is not in the right place to click on them.  Setting up hotkeys and having your fingers learn where they all are makes the game so much better.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:08:04 AM by Thrugg »
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
Either way works for movement. I'm a WASD girl myself for movement and use the mouse to click skills. Never did get the hang of using keyboard hotkeys for skills, and that's how I've played pretty much every game that allows it. Maybe not the most efficient, but very few tanks died on my heal watch as well, so it's really preference.

Which is probably why I sucked at trying Mass Effect, and liked Dragon Age better, cause I have a hot bar to choose from instead of keystrokes.

Oh and as for gameplay, I am glad I gave it another go. To be honest it was completely overwhelming to get off the shuttle as a Trooper and just see total mayhem. Actually going to make a Jedi Consular was a good idea, the starter area seemed less chaotic, at least, by my perception.

I do have a minor nitpick but it's probably put in place to appease any of the players who don't want to waste time actually making choices, is I kinda wish it was not apparant which choices you make would give Light or Dark points. I'd rather have to make the choice based on what you think is right for your character, however you're playing it, without being told in the radial that certain choices are "good" or "evil". But I can see the whining of "But i screwed up my character cause I got light points instead of dark!". I actually had one quest with a Bounty Hunter where I did get Light points cause I agreed with my mark that the Hutts are slimy, icky things. But I quickly got Dark points back when I killed my mark anyway.

Also the vast amount of dialog you get and time spent on character development aside from simply killing stuff will probably rather quickly weed out the less mature players pretty quickly who only want to powerlevel or "pwn in pvp". I'd imagine they'd get rather bored with the story driven aspect of the game.

Which is a plus in my book. And surprisingly moves the game into a possibly actually buy it category, the monthly fee is really my stinking point, I've been glad to be sub free from WoW for almost two years, and not sure I want to get sucked back into a sub.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:25:43 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
Good point about the light and dark points.  I didn't actually notice them being in the radial menu until my second toon and was failing it up at guessing which would be which lol.  I mean really, when you take a contract to kill someone, then double cross your employer for more money and kill another guy to save the first target, how is either of those a light side choice.  So I ended up with something like 200 light points and 500 dark points heh.  Gogo simplistic linear view of morality!

Right now if I was a single man I would be buying this without question.  But I doubt I will ever really sub to another MMO.  Only it isn't about the cost.  For me this really is like a recovering alcoholic tasting a beer and agreeing, yes that is really excellent beer, but no, I don't want to buy a case of it.

Argh right now I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to hop back on SW:TOR or back to what I was working on in Oblivion, and SPike is showing an ad for Skyrim during their Star Wars marathon!  Ow, my brain!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:44:02 AM by Thrugg »

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:07 AM »
Well one graphical bug I've just encountered is a bunch of Corsco Riggs (companion npc) are running around following players wearing only boxers and when they point their fingers at enemies, blaster fire comes out.  :lol:
Diablo 3 Profile

Jedsia

• Her Majesty
  • Ko
    • FB
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 06:50:55 AM »
Sigh....I hate to admit this, but this game really is good. Darn it.

Really liking Jedi Shadow. Though I'm just now seeing the coolness of it at level 14, because I was a noob. When I got my advanced class at level 10, I went to the trainer and didn't see any new skills, so I figured, well maybe it's just the talent tree. Didn't see anything new for Shadow specific at 11,12,13....So when I hit level 14 and went to train, thats when I noticed the little Shadow tab at the bottom of the trainer window....and proceeded to pick up four levels worth of Shadow skills.

But here's how awesome the Consular is....even without those skills and only having the standard Consular skills, I was still doing quests 2-3 levels above me with relative ease. Some of that is the companion, but not all. I have a pretty nice rotation down and taking down groups is pretty easy. Tougher foes aren't too bad either. Toss a rock at them from range, throw debris at them, when they get close, force wave them back, hit them again with a rock and if they close the distance again, whack them with my double-edged lightsaber. Squishy? Nah. Add in the stealth...and it's even more fun. Oh and there's no invisible walls keeping stuff from falling. So I was fighting a rather nasty elite and he was on a platform...I force waved and pushed him off the platform. I got exp for the kill but I obviously couldn't loot him. But I got him out of my way so I could finish my quest.

Speaking of stealth....it's 85% of your walk speed and there's talents to speed that up. So no crawling...stealth slows you down very minimally. And your companion stealths with you. Nothing I hate more than stealth being made useless by some lumbering companion behind you, so you can actually stealth past things if you don't want to mess with them.

Companions are neat. They level with you, you can gear them and once you get your ship, you can command them to craft for you while you're gone. So far I have my always present Lizard-man companion and when I got my ship I got a C2 class droid who cooks, cleans and is willing to be my diplomat. Haven't used it yet, but the game did give a tip that your idle companions on board ship can be sent off to do missions and craft for you. Neat. So I can be off saving the world and not spending the time watching my character chip away at gems or whatever. Handy feature for more casual players. I do like crafting, so I imagine I'd still do some myself, but it's nice to have that option, especially for the more tedious tasks.

I'm only really wondering how well this game plays as a duo. Hubby and I do like to game together and it would be neat to have a pair to level together. The story phases only allow one of a class at a time, but if we were to level a Consular and a Knight together, I'm wondering if we can enter each others stories together if partied, or if we'd have to split up. Once past the starter area, it's not as often you'd be in story phases, but they do occur regularly, depending on how much side questing you do in between. But one thing I have noticed is the split for classes seems to be fairly close. Almost always when I find my Consular phase, there's a red door nearby that's for the Knights. I'd assume it's same for Trooper and Smuggler.

Did play around a little with a Smuggler. That seems like a fun class as well. i like the Cover skill...some of your skills are only available if you're behind cover, like tossing grenades. Imperial agent seems to have a similar skill.

Glad to see as well the ship you get is given to you via storyline. You don't need to save up loads of credits to buy a ship and not get one for ages. You can put money into it upgrading it, but it's yours to start off with.

Lag isn't too bad, been playing some this morning and since it's Monday, it's probably a much better gauge of what I could expect in a normal play setting. There's people about, but the explorable areas aren't teeming with people. Just did one quest where I did not run into anybody at all.

Getting around game is pretty painless as well. I remember long, long walks in WoW followed by even longer flights between posts. In this game, you get a "hearth" skill to return to points, but they're more like waypoints in Diablo. Once you activate a binding point, you can travel to any of them. There is a 30 minute cooldown, so no hopping around between areas quickly, but most binding points also have a shuttle/speeder nearby to travel with as well and they're pretty quick. Once you get your ship, you get a galaxy map, to travel between worlds pretty quickly. So once planet side, you can begin unlocking the bind points and speeder travel there.

For today I'll probably tinker more with other classes. I have a level 7 Bounty hunter, level 5 smuggler...and would like to try Sith warrior. I'm level 15 on the Jedi Consular/Shadow and finished Coruscant...I don't want to get too far into the game, if I decide to buy it I'd like to leave more undone. Besides, now is a good time to feel out other classes.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:35:33 AM by Jedsia »
Diablo 3 Profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
I think the game designers assumed you have played WoW before.  I tried one more time and I am just not enjoying it.  Very awkward controls and movement.  Usually games have a peice that guides you through learning the controls and I haven't found anything like it.  Graphics are poor, though I get why.

So far for me the game is a big fat meh.  Given that I don't want to subscribe I will probably be uninstalling.