Author Topic: Just got Knights of the Old Republic II  (Read 2689 times)

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
Re: Just got Knights of the Old Republic II
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:08 AM »
You get Valor, which affects the whole party. As far as I remember the others are personal buffs only, but it's been a little while.  Might be worth giving it a try in game.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »
In the first KotOR it seemed to me that even though you could visit the planets in any order, Korriban was just naturally better fitted to be the final planet.  Is there any natural order like that for KotOR II?  Any planet I should make a point of visiting first or last or is there a case where "Planet X before Planet Y" would be a better option?

Butch

EDIT: typos
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:27:40 AM by Butch »
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »
(minor spoilers) You need to visit Dxun/Onderon twice so you can't do that one last.  I'm not actually sure what happens if you do.  The game is not so clean that you are always safe from painting yourself into a corner.  You may be able to fly somewhere you've already been, just wait a while, then fly back.

Dantooine is nice to do early for the rewards (mostly to do with creating your lightsaber).  But so is Nar Shadaa (mostly to do with NPC storylines, plus one quest that starts there that has you go to all the others).

So basically doing Korriban last after the other three in any order works again :)
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
I'm asking this because I've read a lot of stuff about this game being buggy.  I'm still on the first part of Telos and just got the droid (that you control like a character) and stole the files I needed.  But then when I got back to controling my main character and went to find the shuttle to go planetside, I had no party members.  I got the message to go save the Thessalonians (or whatever those flat-faced hippie aliens are called) and keep getting my butt handed to me by these mercinaries.  Hard.  The one guide I looked at talked about how easy this fight should be and made no mention of you being solo at this point, which makes me wonder what the hell's going on here.

Is my game buggy and I'm supposed to have a little party backup at this point or do I just suck that bad (understandable) and I should be handling these fights solo?

Butch
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
In most (not all) locations, you can pull up the list of available party members and swap them in and out as you wish.  Sometimes one or two may be unavailable for story reasons but generally you can mix and match as you need.

On the PC I think the L key opens up the page, but you can get to it through the same menu as you get to your inventory etc.

You certainly should have a party to help for the fight into the Thalassian enclosure.

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
Ah.  I see.  So while the jury is still out on my just plain sucking (actually, it's not - I do) it turns out I am in fact a mental-midget and didn't know how to open up the party screen and change members.  Thanks Thrugg. 

Yeah, the fight wasn't too hard after all when one person isn't soaking up all the blaster fire. 

Butch
  - Martin Luther

Butch

• Mal
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Well, beat the game last night with my light side Jedi Sentential Weapon Master wielding a single lightsaber. 

The story was pretty interesting, and the gameplay wasn't bad.  I had intended to play through light side (saber) and then as dark side (force powers).  And playing through this time, I found that the force powers, especially the dark side powers like force storm were the most fun (and seemed to be the most devastating, although when my Exile (Ursus Majoris) was fully buffed most enemies were one or two hit kills at most.  But the idea of playing through Taris, Nar Shadda, and the rest over again is not appealing at all. 

Butch
  - Martin Luther

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
I would agree it doesn't have the replayability of KotOR I.  As you say Taris and Nar Shadaa both seem unnecessarily spread out into multiple zones which just means more walking and loadscreens.

I always like to run through at least once Dark Side though to take care of anybody who was annoying the first time through.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
Hehe, yes, Star Wars game are ones where it's easy to enjoy playing dark side. The powers are jutst much more efficient (as consular/sith lord, you can just force storm your path through everything, Palpatine-style), and some characters do deserve payback.