Author Topic: Dragon Age *Spoilers*  (Read 6891 times)

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
Re: Dragon Age *Spoilers*
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:44 AM »
ADDENDUM.

OK, I was all uber happy with my caster harem yesterday (yeah, my char is a male and his team is Morrigan, Leliana, Wynne).

Then, yesterday, I reached Anvil of Void (urgh, deep roads are way too long, even if some really great events occur). Where you are forced to use Oghren. (Luckily, I keep my characters in camp equipped precisely for this kind of surprises). With the no NPC auto level mod, I make it a pure str-based two hander berserker (that is, the 36 dex required for two handed mastery, and then all str, with a little bit of willpower which, restrospectively, probably wasn't needed).

His damage output borders on the completely insane.

Basically, the time it takes for inferno to kill a pack of mobs is the same time it tkes Oghren to kill the pack of mobs killing them one after another :lol:

And a berserker with momentum, haste and telekinetic weapon is truly a fearsome sight to behold.

Plus, bonus, much easier to configure with tactics than casters.

Dwarf berserker was the second char I was planning to play, but I may go for it before even finishing my first char, this seemed way too fun!

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
Berserkers are all fun and games until you run into a Revenant. :P

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »
I think a Berserker is going to be my next playthrough. Yeah, it's lacking in survivability but dammit it just looks like so much fun!
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 07:38:20 AM »
Berserkers are all fun and games until you run into a Revenant. :P

Ah? Not sure I can see beforehand what makes them bad against revenants... I would have thought they were much more annoying for mages, as they have really high resists (no way to get them in paralysing glysph, petrify or or stumble them with earthquake, and are immune to cold which switches down one of my main ways to get aggro/control with my arcane warrior).

The very first one I fought was the circle of Magi one, and I went for the "Benny Hill" method. Morrigan got aggro in about two seconds, and kept running in circles while the rest of the team slowly wore it down. Now, basically, the way I deal with them is just having everyone on auto attack so they don't pick up aggro (well, Leliana can get away with critical shot and shattering shot when on cooldown, but Morrigan seems to just yell "HIT ME" with every hex she casts), and I just outlast it with my arcane warrior (by a very comfortable margin too, Wynne can more or less regen as fast as she needs to heal).

When it gets low and i want to accelerate the fight, Morrigan casts Death Hex (all hits ion it become critical) which is automatic aggro, I cast force field on her, and finish quickly with a big damage burst.

Berserker would obviously be less endurant than arcane warrior (though the 36 dex requirement for all the dual weapon skills give decent armor already), but i'd have assumed the killing speed would more than make up for it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:40:17 AM by Mad Godji »

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:36 AM »
Honestly, I don't know. That was just a tossed-out silly remark. :P

My mages tend to own revenants, though - Lightning spells take them down fast, especially when combined with goodies like Vulnerability Hex. I heart Tempest.

My DW rogue also owned them, but then... DW rogues own everything.

But my warriors always had trouble - revenants just do too much melee damage too fast. I sorta figured that problem would be compounded on a non-shield-using melee type. But I haven't actually tried it that I recall. I had Oghren in my party as a full out berserker the last play-through, but I can't remember running into any revenants after I got him, since I did Orzammar last and then moved on to the Landsmeet. If there was one, it wasn't a memorable experience (but again - that was with my main as a DW rogue).

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Sword and Shield Warriors with Shield Wall/Mastery active will always beat Revenants, because they will focus on knocking you down which you're immune to.  I would sit there and kill a Revenant by myself as it attempted to knock me down 15 times in a row.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:18 AM »
Huh. I never had that experience. Probably because I never got a sword/shield warrior leveled enough to have shield wall & mastery before I stopped playing them. Up to that point, revenants were always a nuisance.

I am surprised by your comment about their continual knockdown attempts, and wondering if your game is bugged or modded wrong somehow? Enemies have cooldowns on their skills just like players do. Plus the AI isn't supposed to attempt "special moves" 100% of the time. Even on Nightmare difficulty (higher difficulty = more frequent ability use), there's considerably less than 100% chance. Hm.

EDIT: They have 3 talents that can knock down - Pull, Mass Pull, and Double Strike (and I'm not even sure that last one can). There is no specific "knockdown" talent; it's just a side effect of the others, all of which still do great damage whether you're knocked down or not. So, yeah. I'm stumped. You must have a flaky mod. Or a buggy game.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:59:29 AM by Luchaire »

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
Revenants have a few different animations for attacks (sword, shield), which both do damage normally, but against 3 of my warriors for some reason the "shield" attack becomes a Knockdown-Only attack like Shield Bash (no damage), which they will do constantly until you're knocked down at least once (against other characters they would do this and then switch back to everything else), but against Shield Wall/Mastery they get stumped I guess and do it constantly, either that or being immune to knockdown is checked first and makes me immune to the damage as well.  If it was a normal attack I wouldn't be getting "IMMUNE!" on myself.

Again, PS3 version, so no mods.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:24:02 AM by maxbeedo »
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
Ah, could be a console thing then. I know there are a number of changes to console versions (mostly designed to make the game easier), but not sure what they might have done there.

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
Expansion is out, and I can't really afford it but im going to get it today!

Question is do I finish a play through the original before moving into the expansion or do I just start an "expansion" character since I know the main story?

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »
Finish the original, then export your character and use the same character in the expansion.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Mad Godji

• Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 02:50:37 AM »
Finish the original, then export your character and use the same character in the expansion.

But my character sacrificed himself at the end :cry:

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
Then he was an idiot for not taking up Morrigan's offer. :P
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »
My warden didn't take Morrigan's offer either... but, being involved with Alistair, that meant HE took the bullet. :P

I can't think of a single occasion that any good warden would take her diabolical-who-knows-what-the-future-will-bring-with-this-demon-child "offer" so I'll never have a good ending with Al as king and my warden as queen.

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
I slept with her on my first play through and the ending credit's just listed that she vanished and you never see her again.