Author Topic: Dragon Age *Spoilers*  (Read 6662 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
Mages => Runes
Elves => Herbs (elfroot, mushrooms, etc)
Knights => Money
Dwarves => Gems

Have never used the other 3 possible armies so no idea what they want...

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »
I downloaded the mod that unlocks all the specs.  Yes it's cheating, but I don't think it's right that you have to play the game without them.  Therefore, started a DW human warrior.  It has been by far my easiest time getting to Lotherin.  Not once has anyone been "injured".  The guy is a machine.  :)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »
Yeah, dual wield is great. DW rogues are even more insanely powerful. Mine owned the game from beginning to end. Right now I'm playing a Dalish rogue archer/ranger... not nearly so much pwn there, but lots of fun.

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
  • Resident Angry Canadian
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 08:23:42 AM »
I got bored with my Arcane Warrior, and started a dex-based dual-wielding dwarven rogue, goal is to make it through the entire game without dying. Managed the Origin story easily, Ostagar had a couple of tricky spots. Picked up Shale, and now into the mage tower. It's an evil party, with Morrigan, Shale, and Dog. I never used Dog in previous games, so I'm interested to see how well he stands up. So far he seems to be tougher than both Alistair and Sten, maybe doesn't do as much damage but doesn't go down easy.

I can see healing being a problem, until I get Morrigan a second specialization in Spirit Healer, so I'm buying up and crafting all the health poultices I can as I go. Strangely, it seems like the Dwarven Noble origin gets way more cash than the other ones (and I didn't even take the bribe opportunity). Maybe that's just because I sold everything I picked up, knowing I wasn't going to be taking into Ostagar.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »
Dog is actually quite powerful, particularly once you get his overwhelm talent - makes him a one-dog-mage-killing-machine.

Odd that you'd go dex-based as a dual-wield rogue, though. Cunning is the way to go for that - more damage, more hitting, better lock/trap ability, better persuasion, more/better everything. You need enough Dex to wield the best daggers, but after that it's pretty much wasted in comparison to cunning. Dex does gives you a bit of defense, but that shouldn't matter all that much as you should not really be getting targeted all that often, at least once you get the third rank of stealth...

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »
Home sick today, so that means I'll probably get a mess of time to play. In between running to the bathroom to puke my guts out, that is. :S

From here you're right that cunning does more damage, but dex-based has higher attack and defense. He's loosely based on this thread. Went straight for momentum and duelling, just now working my way up the stealth tree. I'll probably start dumping points into cunning in a little bit, but right now my main concern is attack/defense.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

There's this fuckin' band you gotta see / They used to scare the living shit outta me / No frothing dog no cool insanity /No rock n' roll, no Christianity / Makes me feel the same way / An inch an hour two feet a day / To move through night / With very little else to say ~ The Tragically Hip, "An Inch an Hour"

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
*shrug* I played a DW rogue all the way through, cunning-based, and it was unstoppable.

Attack was largely irrelevant since I was pretty much backstabbing everything constantly, and keeping things stunned. My ending hit rate was still 91%
Defense was completely irrelevant since I was stealthed and untargeted more often than not, and when not stealthed... well, that's what a tank is for. And Shale was my tank of choice, being insanely good at it with the Stoneheart line.

As you can see here... I had no issues with hitting. It doesn't show damage received, but I assure you it wasn't much. ;) (the 11 injuries shown are a strange oddity - she actually only went down twice that I recall, but I remember the number jumping by 9 all at once one time, so no idea wtf that was about)

Plus, since you do have to pump Dex to .... I forget offhand, but at least high 20s... to wield high end daggers, that's plenty enough. Any more is pointless.

But to each his own. ;)

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
I can see healing being a problem, until I get Morrigan a second specialization in Spirit Healer,

I downloaded the no auto follower spec mod and haven't looked backmI think the game should have come this way for much more party viable options.

My current play through is a DW rogue also but I speced Morrigan into Arcane Warrior and using Sten with 2 handers aswell as lilly as a ranger and not sure if ill give morrigan spirit healer or just pick up wynne in place of lilly but im kind of licking the party ive got now.

Lucky I read this threat because I was going to pump alot of my points into dex as DW rogue i smahsed all my early points into so I could use Shadow Armour  etc so i guess ill just go into cunning now.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Minor spoiler.

With inventory space always being an issue, when you get to Ostagar buy the bag from the merchant for a mere 57 silver.  Head out to the wilds and when you return but before you talk with Duncan, stop by the merchant again.  He'll have another bag.  Might as well steal Ser Jory and Davleth's equipment too, they won't need it.  :P

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
Or just open your save file in the toolset and manually give yourself as much inventory space as you want and forget that those "backpacks" even exist in game. :P

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:25 PM »
Or just open your save file in the toolset and manually give yourself as much inventory space as you want and forget that those "backpacks" even exist in game. :P

LOL

I found that intimidating the Revered Mother in Lothring raises Morrigan's approval   :dance:

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
Being an ass to pretty much anyone raises Morrigan's approval.

The best is if you save Irving in the Circle tower, and then backstab him by telling Greagoir that the mages can't be trusted. +12!
narsica's Top 5 Thread

narsica

• Pinkified!
  • Dol
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 08:03:11 AM »
So my duelist/assassin has just been screaming through the game. Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure he's even easier to play than my Arcane Warrior. He's split 50/50 in dex and cunning, but I'm going to go cunning for the rest of the game. He's hard to hit, and hits back hard. Last night he took a revenant on toe-to-toe (no backstabbing) and beat him into the ground. Being a dwarven noble, I have more gold than I know what to do with... it's almost unfair.

Just need to finish up with the Alienage, and then on to Landsmeet.
narsica's Top 5 Thread

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
Yep, that matches my experience with a DW duelist/assassin. Simply tore the game up.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »
I haven't posted here in a while, as I am progressing oh so slowly ;)

So My Arcane Warrior/whatever (I think I went for Spirit healer, but didn't even bother putting points there) is fun, and quite tricky to play. The tricky is not so much surviving : he's just a walking bunker; The trick is more maintaining aggro while a ridiculously powerul Morrigan turns the room into an absolute no man's land.

And well, I remember you telling you had not experienced with those Luch, well, Glyphs are a fantastic tool for that!

Yesterday, I just did the cartel part in Orzammar. Many room, with a chokepoint at the door. Average fight was :

-cast Glyph on repulsion on the door
-open door
-my character casts Earthquake in the room while Wynne casts grease while Morrigan casts Inferno while Leliana casts Shattering arrow

Once Inferno is cast, Morrigan casts Entropic Cloud.

Wait for things to die without getting hit a single time.

If some mobs manage to resist both Earthquake and the glyph of repulsion, I can knock them back with stone fist, use the NON RESISTIBLE glyph of repulsion + glyph of paralysis combo, trap it in a crushing prison, petrify it, Leliana can stun them with shattering arrow, I can freeze them with cone of cold, or just split their head myself with the Ageless sword (who needs a shield?) with combat magic and telekinetic weapon.

If there is a very strong target in the room, Morrigan can death hex it for the completely ridiculously powerful entropic cloud + death hex = entropic death combo. Wynne and Leliana pick up leftovers with the electricity bolt, arrow of slaying/critical arrow and swarm.

This is just complete, total slaughter.

So Luchaire, I remember you saying you hadn't played much with glyphs. Well, I love them :)

As I said, glyph of repulsion is an awesome defensive tool. When there is a choke point, you make it hell to pass. When fights start where you are surrounded, just have everyone stand in the glyph to see melee enemies trying to reach them just fly back.

Glyph of paralysis, I occasionally use to lock an enemy into place, but I find it resisted a bit too often. No, it is much more useful as a combo with glyph of repulsion : gasting it over a glyph of repulsion makes them detonate and paralyze all targets in an (admittedly a tad small) 5-yard radius. The fun touch : as far as I know, it's not resistible :)

Glyph of Warding gives a nice defense boost too, i occasionally use it when surrounded in combination with repulsion, but I usually have better to do with my mana. Glyph of neutralization is a bit expensive to use, and so far I never ever met big enough pack of mages for it to be interesting (I didn't have it yet when dealing with the blood mages packs in the Circle tower, but well, still having quite a few things left to do in the game, for all I know it may come in handy later).