Author Topic: Dragon Age *Spoilers*  (Read 6661 times)

Ambar

• Shael
Dragon Age *Spoilers*
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
I've finally got a character I like.  Since I've now made it to Lothring 5 or 6 times, but never any further, I was just wondering if I should be going to Redcliff or the Magi-tower first.

Btw, fireball at level 5 is...overpowered :P

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Dragon Age *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
Mage Tower first. There's opportunities there to get a ton of free permanent stat boosts, so it's always a good idea to get those early (plus, the "best" way to finish Redcliffe requires having already done the tower). :) I myself tend to go the Forest next after the tower because there's some fabulous loot to be had there (3 excellent sets or pieces of armor).

The level scaling is set up as follows:
Mage Circle: min level 6
Redcliffe: min level 6
Brecilian Forest: min level 7
Orzammar: min level 10
Denerim: min level 10

As a general rule you should be at least level 7 before leaving Lothering anyway.

If you have the Stone Prisoner DLC, it's worth going to get Shale before doing any of these areas, though.

And yes, fireball is pwnlicious. Try Tempest sometime. It's especially win! Actually, most mage spells are ... impressive. I'm currently in love with Walking Bomb.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Thanks!  No dlc yet, however.

*edit*

Forgot to mention, the plan is to travel with Alister, Morrigan and Wynne.  I'm a mage focusing on damage.  Should work I think.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:20:57 PM by Ambar »

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
The Fade is freaking insane.  Even reading a guide it's such a PITA.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of back-tracking.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the backtracking either, but make sure you explore every room, since those permanent stat boosts are pretty nice.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »
I really enjoyed the fade section, at first it through my off a bit but once I figured out what I needed to do it was fine.

I didn't like the roads under orzimmar they were pretty boring, except broodmother that was pretty much win.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »
Still in the fade.  A couple more things to do before I start rescuing my crew. (only know this because of the guide).  Not a big fan of all the form switch, backtracking etc.  Besides, I miss the banter between Alister and Morrigan and Wynne.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »
Yeah, the Fade is my least favorite part. I just grin and bear it. I've gotten to where I can get through it pretty fast now, so that's a good thing.

I love the Brecilian Forest stuff and the Deep Roads stuff... the Broodmother bit was awe-inspiring in a very Lovecraftian sort of way.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
The Deep Roads are cool, although the fact that there are no random encounters there is kinda weird, and there's a lot of random little icons on the map that seem like they would point to something cool but they're just for show (even Shale's quest icon is far away from the actual Golem pictured on the map).

Tonight I will most likely attempt to summon Arl Foreshadow just to see what he's up to.

Saving Redcliffe is by far my favorite quest, but it always seems like the amount of loot I get from the Brecilian Forest far outdoes the length of time needed to complete that quest (i.e. it's pretty short but I always end up having to destroy useless items to make room for the loot when I usually don't on the other quests, regardless of when I do it).

Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:12:24 AM »
Didn't play much this week-end, I just did the various quests in Lothering. I hadn't expected to pick up so many party members already. Probably going to stick with Alistair, Leliana, Morrigan and myself for now though. So Sven and JeanPierre, my dog, are not seeing any use for now.

Any place you'd recommend starting with? I'll aim at unlocking the arcane warrior specialization, as leaving Lothering just put me level 7.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »
If you want to get the AW spec unlocked, you need to go to the Brecilian Forest first. If you do any other areas first, you could find yourself level 10 or more before you ever get it unlocked.

Otherwise, I normally suggest doing the Circle Tower first... mostly for metagame reasons that I won't detail here. EDIT: Oh, this is the spoiler thread. Okay, the reasons: Wynne (healer companion) and lots of free permanent stat points to be had, plus it makes possible the most "good" way to finish another area later.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:24:41 AM by Luchaire »

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »
Don't you have to agree to help the desire demon in the conna encounter to receive AW spec? I'm pretty sure thats what I read as ive yet to unlock my AW spec on my first play through before i said screw the desire demon and screw conna killed them both.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
Don't you have to agree to help the desire demon in the conna encounter to receive AW spec? I'm pretty sure thats what I read as ive yet to unlock my AW spec on my first play through before i said screw the desire demon and screw conna killed them both.

No, that's Blood Mage.

AW is unlocked in the Brecilian Forest.

Ambar

• Shael
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
Got thru the fade...finally.  Got a lot of stats which is the only reason I'd go back on another toon.

Is there a place to store gear or is a mod needed for that?  I've checked the camp and didn't see one.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
You need either Warden's Keep DLC, which has a permanent storage chest, or a mod. I use this one: http://social.bioware.com/project/463/ (I like this one because it was made by a Bioware dev, and is totally bug-free).