Author Topic: Mass Effect = $5 today (Steam)  (Read 821 times)

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
Mass Effect = $5 today (Steam)
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »
So...$5.  That's hard to beat.  Surely it's worth five bucks?  It looked a lot like KotOR to me and I loved that one.  My issue (as always) is whether or not my old machine can run it.  I hate to keep asking this, but I don't even know how to decipher the video card stuff to find out for myself. 

Windows XP SP3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T9300 @ 2.50GHz
2.49 GHz, 3.50 GB of RAM
Here's what Luch said of my card:
You have an Nvidia Quaddro NVS135M video card.  Basically: That's a workstation vid card. Like all Quaddro cards, it's designed for things like CAD and whatnot. Lotsa beef but it's slow beef. That particular Quaddro is based on the 8400M GS card.

Here's what Mass Effect wants:
    *  Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® XP with SP2 or Windows Vista*
    * Processor: Intel P4 2.4 Ghz or faster / AMD 2.0 Ghz
    * Memory: 1.0 GB RAM or more (2.0 GB for Vista)
    * Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible, ATI X1300 XT or greater (ATI X1300, X1300 Pro, X1600 Pro, Radeon 2600 HD, and HD 2400 are below minimum system requirements); NVidia GeForce 6800 or greater (7300, 7600 GS, 8500 are below minimum system requirements)
    * Hard Drive: 12.0 GB or more free hard drive space
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    * DirectX®: 9.0c

------

Also considering Portal...
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Butch

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Mass Effect = $5 today (Steam)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:16:45 AM »
It'll run both. It won't be at maxed settings in Mass Effect or anything but it should at the very least be playable. For $5, it's certainly worth the gamble. And yes, it's an awesome game, very enjoyable. If you liked other Bioware games (like Kotor) you should like it - similar sort of story-based RPG.

Portal - no problem on your system.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Butch

• Minister of Divine Fermentation
  • Mal
  • Supplanter of the ole-time god of wisdom - 2012
    • Raise Your Pints
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Thanks Luch.  I wish knew more about this stuff, but you always come through.  So, if you ever have any questions on or about trees, forests, and/or water quality, I'll be happy to return the favor. 

Also, +1 for not taking this chance to take a shot at Steam here.

Butch
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  - Martin Luther

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »
Thanks Luch.  I wish knew more about this stuff, but you always come through.  So, if you ever have any questions on or about trees, forests, and/or water quality, I'll be happy to return the favor. 

Also, +1 for not taking this chance to take a shot at Steam here.

Butch

:lol: I don't personally use/like Steam, but I understand why other people do (and yes, they have some great sales). I just like riling up Tarr about it. :twisted:

I'll keep in mind the trees/water thing. One never knows. ;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
Both games rock.