Author Topic: Impressions of Sacred 2  (Read 1755 times)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Impressions of Sacred 2
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »
Having played a few hours now, some initial impressions/thoughts on Sacred 2:

1. Graphics are gorgeous (note, though, that I have the "Elite" graphics from the Collector's Edition, so although I've seen screenshot comparisons, I haven't looked myself to see how different it is without those enabled). Definitely can bring a system to its knees, though. I have a pretty high-end rig and it still hitches once in a while. Heck, the Elite graphics list a 768MB video card as minimum req... and I believe it. Wouldn't try them on a weaker card without turning down a lot of other memory-killing stuff, like resolution and/or AA.

2. The six characters are great, very diverse and definitely offer something for everyone. I've only played the Dryad so far (and only level 8), but have plans for an Inquisitor, High Elf, and Seraphim soon. Temple Guardian and Shadow Warrior hold zero appeal for me.

3. Skills and combat arts and such seem much more balanced and well thought out than in Sacred 1. I think there's a ton of viable builds to be had, as opposed to pretty much one-build-per-class.

4. Tons of weapon and armor diversity - like Sacred 1.

5. In game muling function = win. The "Player Chest" (familiar from Sacred 1) has two different compartments - one specific to the character and one that is shared across all characters. This is pure awesomesauce.

6. Animations are pretty good overall. Lack of displayed bow strings is a bit odd for a game of this graphic quality, though.

7. Not so keen on ranged combat. It (or the controls) seem funky. Range is VERY low ... you practically have to be in melee range to shoot anything, so a bow or blowgun user can expect to be getting hit a lot anyway. And I find that quite often clicking to attack doesn't quite "take" and instead my dryad will charge up to the enemy instead of shooting them.

8. I've tried all three camera control options and none are very good. Free cam is the best, but still takes some considerable getting used to, especially in combat indoors/underground - I found myself quite often staring at a blank wall, trying to move the mouse around while trying to avoid getting mobbed and generally making a mess of things.

9. The compass and minimaps are frustrating. I quite often find myself going the opposite direction of where I want to. This is a fault on my end and not the game, I suppose, but overall it's just not intuitive. The world map, on the other hand, is very nice - and I end up relying on it instead of the larger minimap.

10. Quests are fairly diverse for a hack-n-slash. The usual FedEx types abound but they at least make an attempt to keep them interesting and to put a spin on them that superficially conceals the FedEx nature. Of course, there are metric ton of quests - I quickly found myself inundated with them, but fortunately the quest log is nicely organized and easy to use, and clicking any quest in the log makes it the active quest with the appropriate map markers displaying.

11. Voice-overs in combat are often hilarious. Ascaron continues its trend for comedy well (including the pre-game loading "silly messages" - like the one I got last night: "Connecting to server... transferring character to hardcore PvP Arena...").

12. Difficulty level: don't even bother with Bronze, go straight to Silver. I played Bronze for a bit to get a feel for the game, and it's practically God Mode. Enemies often won't even attack - they'll stand around or walk away while you kill them. Rewards are pitiful in Bronze, too, making it pretty much a waste of time.

13. Oh, the patch. 840MB patch to download, and be absolutely SURE to download and install it before ever even firing up the game for the first time.

14. Manual is mostly useless and in-game tutorial pretty much non-existent. Without the Wiki, there's several game features I'd have ZERO clue about - like Relics.

That's all I can think of offhand. Will add more as it comes to me or I get further into the game.

Overall, initial rating: 8.5/10. I can see this being a hugely addictive time sink, offering a ton of fun for quite a while.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:08:09 AM by Luchaire »

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

kalia

• Ral
Re: Impressions of Sacred 2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
re: 7-Ranged Combat: you miss if the npc is moving, as your arrow/throwing knife/etc goes where you originally targeted.  There are skills that make this better (I think).  When I was playing Dryad with bow, I was getting better at that.  And the HE fireball spell can be "modded" (this being an ingame functionality where you add modifiers to your combat art) to be homing. 

8 - That's odd, I found all 3 quite usable and good.  And I'm usually super-sensitive & annoyed by camera stuff.  Free camera is good for screenshots, but is a *lot* of micromanaging for playing with (at least the modded way I have it set up).  And it's not very good to have on in caves. :P  I wonder if the modded values are making the other camera settings not as optimal.

9- This, however - totally true for me as well.  Using the maps is *not* intuitive.  I had trouble, and my mom's having trouble too.  It does get better.  Did you know you can press "tab" while you have the big map open & it'll open up the tab map on top?  The useful thing is with the tab map open this way you can actually drag it around to see different areas on it.

My one distinct negative: The buffs' animations -- well, more specifically the shaders they use.  Quite a few are just fugly, and even if not are kinda annoying in how they show up.  The high elf has one that adds pretty bright lights that shoot around her head - ok idea, only they can distract from trying to find the flashes of chests/items.  The Sera has one that's a glowy circle with two swords, but it disappears & reappears - again, kinda annoying.  And don't even get me started on the ones that have full membrane effects, effectively covering up the armor set you've so carefully put together.

The other I'd say is that the early game can be quite easy (even in silver).  I'd definitely go for more role-playing builds than trying to think out stats & figuring out all the little things you can do to make the char more powerful.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »
re: 7-Ranged Combat: you miss if the npc is moving, as your arrow/throwing knife/etc goes where you originally targeted.  There are skills that make this better (I think).  When I was playing Dryad with bow, I was getting better at that.  And the HE fireball spell can be "modded" (this being an ingame functionality where you add modifiers to your combat art) to be homing. 

Yeah, missing I get. But I'm not talking about missing. I'm talking about clicking an enemy, with the little "attack" icon clearly showing and instead of shooting, my dryad runs up to the enemy and stands there.

8 - That's odd, I found all 3 quite usable and good.  And I'm usually super-sensitive & annoyed by camera stuff.  Free camera is good for screenshots, but is a *lot* of micromanaging for playing with (at least the modded way I have it set up).  And it's not very good to have on in caves. :P  I wonder if the modded values are making the other camera settings not as optimal.

I'm wondering the same thing about the modded values because I noticed the other two modes were behaving in a way that seemed "off."

9- This, however - totally true for me as well.  Using the maps is *not* intuitive.  I had trouble, and my mom's having trouble too.  It does get better.  Did you know you can press "tab" while you have the big map open & it'll open up the tab map on top?  The useful thing is with the tab map open this way you can actually drag it around to see different areas on it.

No, I only found that out about the tab map on top of world map thing this morning while prowling the Wiki. See point 14 above. :lol:

My one distinct negative: The buffs' animations -- well, more specifically the shaders they use.  Quite a few are just fugly, and even if not are kinda annoying in how they show up.  The high elf has one that adds pretty bright lights that shoot around her head - ok idea, only they can distract from trying to find the flashes of chests/items.  The Sera has one that's a glowy circle with two swords, but it disappears & reappears - again, kinda annoying.  And don't even get me started on the ones that have full membrane effects, effectively covering up the armor set you've so carefully put together.

Fortunately, the buff display can be turned off... first thing I did after activating the Dryad's bark skin buff the first time. Wow, that was fugly! I was concerned that having the display of them turned off would mean I'd never know if the buff was active or not, but the little "activate" icons on the lower right show if they're on or off, so that's all good.

The other I'd say is that the early game can be quite easy (even in silver).  I'd definitely go for more role-playing builds than trying to think out stats & figuring out all the little things you can do to make the char more powerful.

Yeah, but not planning now means higher difficulty levels have the potential to be impossible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:18:25 AM by Luchaire »

kalia

• Ral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
Yeah, missing I get. But I'm not talking about missing. I'm talking about clicking an enemy, with the little "attack" icon clearly showing and instead of shooting, my dryad runs up to the enemy and stands there.
Hmmm.  I did not have that issue with my dryads I first did.  This might be an issue introduced in the most recent patch, in which case it'd be fixed.  Cause again, I totally didn't have that (and I expected to).  I believe either shift or ctrl while clicking will be the stand-in-place-and-attack tho (which does tie into the manual being nearly useless :P).  I have noticed some movement issues with my HE post-patch also; of course, could also be the camera tweaking.

I'm wondering the same thing about the modded values because I noticed the other two modes were behaving in a way that seemed "off."
You can remove that customoptions.txt & then have the game recreate the original options.txt, you'll just need to reset your settings ingame.

Fortunately, the buff display can be turned off... first thing I did after activating the Dryad's bark skin buff the first time. Wow, that was fugly! I was concerned that having the display of them turned off would mean I'd never know if the buff was active or not, but the little "activate" icons on the lower right show if they're on or off, so that's all good.
Yeah, I sorta like the idea of having buff animations, but these are not good.  Might go see if there's any talk on the suggestions area of the boards about those.  I mean, folks were quite certain we were never getting a single-player pause function.  :D

Yeah, but not planning now means higher difficulty levels have the potential to be impossible.
This is definitely true.  However, I've been reading the boards - so what I'm talking about is stuff like "If you socket this in a weapon instead of eating the rune & then always switch to that weapon when casting & then quickly switch away after casting you'll get the high value of the cast combat art & then the low regen time & . . . ."  :shock:

That stuff makes my head all ow-y & I think is unnecessary.  But that might just be me.  And I certainly haven't gotten anywhere close to "higher difficulty levels" yet.  I haven't even gotten a char to level 10.  :lol:

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Hmmm.  I did not have that issue with my dryads I first did.  This might be an issue introduced in the most recent patch, in which case it'd be fixed.  Cause again, I totally didn't have that (and I expected to).  I believe either shift or ctrl while clicking will be the stand-in-place-and-attack tho (which does tie into the manual being nearly useless :P).  I have noticed some movement issues with my HE post-patch also; of course, could also be the camera tweaking.

Maybe it is a patch thing. Dunno, since the last patch came out the day before I got the game (as you know). Shift+shoot... I think I tried that (because it works in other games) and got nada. Might have to try it again, or try CTRL+shoot. *glares at manual*

You can remove that customoptions.txt & then have the game recreate the original options.txt, you'll just need to reset your settings ingame.

True, but then it's back to the limited Free cam mode, bad for screenshooting. :lol:

This is definitely true.  However, I've been reading the boards - so what I'm talking about is stuff like "If you socket this in a weapon instead of eating the rune & then always switch to that weapon when casting & then quickly switch away after casting you'll get the high value of the cast combat art & then the low regen time & . . . ."  :shock:

That stuff makes my head all ow-y & I think is unnecessary.  But that might just be me.  And I certainly haven't gotten anywhere close to "higher difficulty levels" yet.  I haven't even gotten a char to level 10.  :lol:

It's not just you. That sort of microplanning always makes my head spin, too. I was never that technically inclined in Diablo 2 or Titan Quest, either. I plan skills and such, but gear is take-it-as-it-comes... I just can't plan out a character with that degree of nerdery. :rofl:

Floydian1

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »
Some beautiful girl has just bought this game for me and I will have it tomorrow evening :)

kalia

• Ral
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »
Some beautiful girl has just bought this game for me and I will have it tomorrow evening :)
Hee.  :cheshire:

Maybe it is a patch thing. Dunno, since the last patch came out the day before I got the game (as you know). Shift+shoot... I think I tried that (because it works in other games) and got nada. Might have to try it again, or try CTRL+shoot. *glares at manual*
Yeah, I can try to find where I found someone mentioning something like that.

True, but then it's back to the limited Free cam mode, bad for screenshooting. :lol:
Aye, there's the rub. ;)  I am pretty used to moving my free cam around now tho, so for me at least it got easier.  Thank goodness for that mouse wheel!

It's not just you. That sort of microplanning always makes my head spin, too. I was never that technically inclined in Diablo 2 or Titan Quest, either. I plan skills and such, but gear is take-it-as-it-comes... I just can't plan out a character with that degree of nerdery. :rofl:
Yeah, we're on the same page.  I have my skills I'm gonna take for Indira (my Ice Elf) all planned out & whatnot, just I based 'em more on role-playing-ness than on "this will make for uber"-ness.  What I've read from seemingly-sane posters on the official boards is that it's pretty hard to make a completely unplayable character - I think you'd have to really work at it, choosing all non-offensive/defensive skills, like only riding & bargaining & alchemy & - well, I'm not even sure you could manage it.  I guess if you chose all skills unrelated to what you were actually gonna use . . . .  :lol:  But again, not even to level 10 with anyone.  So what do I know?  :grin: